Nokia 6680

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Agree, as a longstanding Nokia fan, I'm also drooling....

Have asked and will feed back as soon as I have an answer.

VQuest

Expert Member
Oh crumbs, another stunning phone which my grubby little paws won't be able to get hold of for another 24+++++++ months. Vodacom, you're frustrating me! :)

alchamy

Expert Member
Don't worry knowing South Africa the phone will get stuck at network approval for another year atleast, Nokia 6260 was stuck for months before release, Nokia had to let the stock gather dust. (wonder if it is even released yet)

VQuest

Expert Member
alchamy said:
Don't worry knowing South Africa the phone will get stuck at network approval for another year atleast, Nokia 6260 was stuck for months before release, Nokia had to let the stock gather dust. (wonder if it is even released yet)

I've been waiting for the 6260 for months and months. And no, it hasn't been released yet. ETA is supposed to be by the end of next month. But as things go, who knows.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Network Approval

It's obvious that it is in Vodacom's interest to release as many phones as possible. The more choices customers have, the easier they'll buy phones and the more they will call.

So logically, Vodacom will want to release a new phone such as the 6260 as quickly as possible. However the phones must pass a set of stringent tests otherwise you guys, as end users, will complain about poor quality, perceived coverage issues, phones hanging up, etc.

Nearly 500 models have been approved up to now, sometimes with concessions (6260, for example), about 150 models have failed and around 50 are currently under test.

Often a phone must first go back for the manufacturer to upgrade the software or fix some other problem discovered during testing.

The 6260 was recently approved with concessions, so now it must get to the retail channel.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Early Upgrade

Dominic Rooney said:
Yip, I like the phone also although I still have to wait 14 months till I get upgraded :(
You can ask for an 'Early Upgrade', where you pay in some value based on your profile and time left on your current contract.

To get an E1000 with 6 months to go, in one specific case, the upgrade fee was R700.

onionpeel

I estimate the delivery of the 6680 to the SA market to be August 2005. I have followed Nokai phones from press release date to the shelves and you can roughly work on 5-6 months if there are no major problems with network testing.

alchamy

Expert Member
vodacom3g said:
The 6260 was recently approved with concessions, so now it must get to the retail channel.
Thanks vodacom3g, I hope it hits the market soon, glad to know that its been approved.

kaspaas

Expert Member
vodacom3g said:
Just curious: What kind of concessions are allowed in the approval process of a phone?

It would also be interesting what kind of consumer related tests a phone must pass? Any drop testing etc?

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Will have to get the specifics. Will also try and see if I can get the test procedures.

alchamy

Expert Member
Yes it will be very interesting to know the test procedure, I am also curious about concessions, it does get a person thinking about possible flaws in a phone. I suspect that the 6600 barely made it through testing considering the number of flaws in the phone.

leonb

Anyone? I'm due for an upgrade and want a 3g phone. The 6630 looks very impratical. Only nokia 3g that seems worth it, is 6680.

VQuest

Expert Member
leonb said:
Anyone? I'm due for an upgrade and want a 3g phone. The 6630 looks very impratical. Only nokia 3g that seems worth it, is 6680.
I am in the same boat. My upgrade was due a month ago, but I've been putting it off hoping that we would see more 3G phones come out, but alas, no such luck. I specifically wanted a Nokia 3G phone, but as V3G said, it won't be released anytime soon.

So I've decided not to wait, I'm going for a non 3G phone and will therefore have to wait another 2 years before I get a 3G phone. Hopefully by that time we will have a greater choice of phones and prices of 3G will come down to a more acceptable level.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
I'm not the authority on this, but must you take out a new, two year contract? Does the contract not roll over into a month by month contract with something like a 1 or 3 month notice period? I'll check up on this.

New 3G phones are imminent (6680 a bit further out), it would be a shame to stay out of the 3G community for another 24 months.

asmith

Yes, the contracts should roll over to a monthly notice after the 24 months.... unless your service provider is up to tricks. Read the fine print on the peice of paper you signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.