Nokia 7 plus

Sumen

Expert Member
We've been waiting for Nokia's first 18:9 smartphone for the entirety of 2017 but it seems Nokia decided to take its time and make it right. And that it did.

gsmarena_017.jpg

The Nokia 7 Plus is so much more than the pioneer of a tall aspect ratio screen for HMD's Nokia. The phone is milled from a single piece of Series 6000 aluminum and has then received 6 layers of paint for a matte finish that not only makes the phone less slippery, it hides the antenna lines.

You'll be able to get the Nokia 7 Plus in either Black or White and both models will have Copper highlights and accents around the fingerprint scanner, the Nokia logo, the camera housing as well as the frame and the buttons.

gsmarena_013.jpg

The two buttons on the phone are all on the right side of the phone. You get a volume rocker and a power button. The fingerprint reader is on the back and so is the dual camera and LED flash.

The dual camera system here consists of a 12MP regular camera with large 1.4um pixels and a bright f/1.75 lens and a 2x telephoto 12MP camera with 1.0um pixels and an f/2.6 aperture. The front facing camera is a 16MP unit with a 1.0um pixel pitch and f/2.0 optics. All three lenses are branded with the ZEISS monicker so we should expect top notch quality.

The hardware setup is matched to Nokia's Pro Camera for full control over shooting parameters like shutter speed, ISO, focus, White Balance. Nokia is still pushing its Bothie mode, which captures an image from the front and back cameras at the same time.

Nokia has also equipped the 7 Plus with its 360 spatial audio for surround sound audio capture and reproduction.

The front camera has Smart Pixel technology for better selfies in low light. The promise is that the selfie snapper can capture and combine up to 4 photos for a photo with less noise.

Nokia will roll out 3D Personas, which makes Snapchat-like effects on a face - using face detection and tracking you can have dynamic masks or eyeglasses on your face.

Finally the Nokia 7 Plus can be unlocked with your face, using Android Oreo's built-in Face Scanning and the selfie snapper.

The display on the Nokia 7 Plus is a 6-inch FHD+ (2160x1080) 18:9 IPS LCD. At first some may frown that it's not a p-OLED like the Nokia 8 Sirocco (or the Google Pixel 2 XL) but this is one of Nokia's best displays. It promises 500 nits of brightness and is laminated and polarized for better clarity and contrast.

Specs aside, the display on the Nokia 7 Plus is lovely. Colors pop and whites look genuinely white. There's also no color shifting when you tilt the screen at an angle.

At around 403 pixels per inch the screen is also tack sharp.

gsmarena_016.jpg

The Nokia 7 Plus feels very nice in the hand. There are no sharp edges or corners to it and the matte finish results in a phone that's not slippery and is soft and velvety in the hand.

Design-wise the Nokia 7 Plus looks very much like a Google Pixel 2 XL from the front but is much more handsome from the sides and back, thanks to its two-toned finish.

We handled the Nokia 7 Plus for a bit and can report that performance was snappy. The Snapdragon 660 is a very capable chipset but stock Android Oreo is zippy as well. The combination of the two leaves the Nokia 7 Plus feeling just as quick as any phone on the market.

HMD will bring the Nokia 7 Plus to market in April for a very reasonable €399.

Source:https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_7_plus_nokia_8_sirocco_nokia_1_nokia_8110-review-1727p2.php

Last edited:

Sumen

Expert Member
Saw the latest cellucity brochure and it's Up for pre-order, will post a link a little bit later.

Sumen

Expert Member
Not bad, but definitely need to source from an outlet that is not killing the second sim slot
Someone asked Nokia on Facebook about dual SIM and they said they only bringing the single SIM version into the country, so your best option is importing.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Someone asked Nokia on Facebook about dual SIM and they said they only bringing the single SIM version into the country, so your best option is importing.
Wow, that's a damn shame. I have seen that even Samsung SA is now bringing in dual sim S9/S9+'s as can be bought from Loot and Takealot - the first time they have done this with flagships. Dual Sim really needs to become a standard and Vodacom and MTN must just suck it up!

Volksieboi

Wow, that's a damn shame. I have seen that even Samsung SA is now bringing in dual sim S9/S9+'s as can be bought from Loot and Takealot - the first time they have done this with flagships. Dual Sim really needs to become a standard and Vodacom and MTN must just suck it up!
So much for competing with Xiaomi for the budget marketshare

Sumen

Expert Member
Nokia’s new phones: first impressions

HMD and Nokia have just wrapped up their local launch of Nokia’s new smartphone line-up, and have revealed some fine-looking phones.

They all run Android Oreo, and feature some pretty cool innovations that could potentially tempt South Africans away from their current favourite mobile phone brands. Nokia is launching them into the SA market now, and they will be available through MTN, Vodacom, and Cell C either by the end of the month, or in early May.

Two Flagships
For this year’s line-up, Nokia actually has not one, but two flagship phones, but there’s a twist: the first, the Nokia 7 Plus, is referred to as “A flagship for everyone” as it’s packed with features but comes with an affordable price tag, whereas the other one, the Nokia 8 Sirocco, is the true flagship – complete with all the high-end specs you’d expect and a price tag to match.

The 7 Plus uses Qualcomm’s 660 mobile platform, has 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. It’s a nice, big phone too, with an 18:9 FHD+ screen and a “two-day” battery life is expected from its 3800maH battery. We weren’t told an exact price, but we heard that it should come in at less than R400 per month on a 24-month contract.

Having handled both the 7 Plus and the Sirocco, I must say I am impressed with Nokia’s craftsmanship on both phones. They feel as over-engineered as they appear, although the Sirocco is slightly heavier (which I personally prefer). The 7 Plus is surprisingly lightweight for a high-end phone, even though it has Gorilla Glass protecting its front and six layers of ceramic paint protecting its underside. That’s the phone to go for if you’re a fan of big-but-not-huge phones.

BFF
HMD and Car Zeiss have also renewed their partnership – all of Nokia’s new phones but the Nokia 1 feature cameras with Zeiss optics. And since that partnership was behind the excellent photographic capabilities of Nokia’s older Lumia 1520, consumers can expect excellent results from the snappers on these phones. The Sirocco gets the very best Zeiss has to offer – dual rear cameras and a 2x optical zoom lens.

A word on security
One of Android Oreo’s key features is its robust security and its suitability to enterprise use. To that end, Google has rolled out something it calls “Android Enterprise Recommended”, a badge that can be applied to phones that qualify that alert prospective buyers to their suitability to the enterprise environment.

Three of these four new phones are Android Enterprise Recommended, and yes, the one that isn’t is the entry-level Nokia 1.

The badge will make it easy for enterprise IT people to narrow down the list of phones to investigate when looking for new phones for staff, and give them “…consistent deployment, management and user features that make it easier to deploy, scale and support Android”.

Availability
Three of these phones will hit the market in April, so expect to see them on offer from Vodacom, Cell C, and MTN soon (if they aren’t available already). The Nokia 8 Sirocco will go on sale on the 7th of May.

And for those of you interested in Telkom, apparently Nokia/HMD is still talking to Telkom about making the phones available via their outlets.

Source:https://www.htxt.co.za/2018/04/19/nokias-newest-phones-are-mighty-fine-indeed/

abdul89

Went to Cellucity today. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about the 7 Plus. They had no clue what it was.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I have not seen it in person yet, but this comes close to what I would like in my next handset. It is no Note 4, but if it had to give up (God forbid), I would be stupid not to consider this as my next. The price (cash, not contract) is real value for money in what you get.