Nokia E7 launched in South Africa

Are you considering buying a Symbian smartphone?

• Yes

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 79.6%

• Total voters

rbarryza

I'd kill to have something like this running Android. If only Nokia decided to go for Android in stead of Win7. They make great hardware.

bxm

They should have changed the "No" answer in the poll above to "Hell No!"

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
If it is as good as the N8 then it will make a killing. Would love to see if the fixed focus camera is any good. Symbian^3 is a pretty decent open source platform and it just keeps getting better with every new firmware update.

WebWanderer

Not sure if anyone from Nokia or the cell companies reads or even cares about this comment, but here goes anyway:

As a soon-to-be-former-Nokia-diehard, not a chance of ending up in my pocket! N95 8GB was an impressive device, but since then it just seems to have been downhill for their top-end devices. N97 was enough to convince me to move on, with it's scratch-prone lens making the impressive camera somewhat pointless, removing the most useful video recording settings (can no longer record decent quality clips for MMS), not to mention the buggy software -- the most-current locally-available version sorts out some minor issues but now regularly locks-up and needs battery-removal to recover. Not acceptable from what used to be the king-of-the-hill... They've even managed to out-suck Motorola! (I had the misfortune of shelling out for that flop MPX-200 back in the day...)

Anyway, I've partially moved on to BB, possibly an Apple in my near-future, Moto also seems to be redeeming themselves with the Defy, but like I said at the start, not another cent towards the Nokia fund for the next few years at least.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Nice looking phone - pity about the OS and cheap hardware that they used

Esoterik

Absolutely not, the current phone I have was the last Symbian / Nokia phone I'll be using for a while if not ever.

Vicehybrid

hell to the ****n yeah! Id buy it, considering im loving my n8. Symbian suits my everyday life as a musician, photographer, internet bug, heavy user and so on. And to WebWanderer@theres no need to remove battery anymore.
Android is looking awesome too, but dont like most the hardware companies using it.

demon angel

Expert Member
I'd kill to have something like this running Android. If only Nokia decided to go for Android in stead of Win7. They make great hardware.
+1

Im actually sad that they didn't go Android as i always though that Nokia's exceptional hardware and build quality could have left Nokia in the lead and not shrinking in the market.

I have been using Symbian for many years now and im now sick of the O.S.

I doubt Meego will be an Android killer and its too little too late as im sure im not the only fan of Nokia going Android at this point.

I will always have a soft spot for Nokia though.

*rekindles his Ngage 1 handset memories*:love:

bxm

If it is as good as the N8 then it will make a killing. Would love to see if the fixed focus camera is any good. Symbian^3 is a pretty decent open source platform and it just keeps getting better with every new firmware update.
Lol @ Rouxenator. The die-hard Nokia fan and VW hater.

I was, like most, a true Nokia fanboy back in the day, but then I woke up and saw that all the apps I would like to have are mostly available on Andoid, iOS en BB. There is no way that I will ever use one of the 2 fruit-phones, so I decided on Android. I will never look back again...

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The way I see this: Selling the E7 is an effort to get rid of stock that was manufactured before the red button in the factory could be pushed to stop the production process. Expect zero support from Nokia and the developer community. No developer will give it a second throught, so no new apps. This is for someone willing to live for 24 months (unless bought outside a contract) with what comes in the box and on the device, and the apps that are available for it now. Six months from now it will end up in a cupboard, at CashCrusaders, or against a wall. Get Android or WP7 on it and even I will queue for one.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm not hatin' on Android and I would actually like to get my hands on one as a secondary phone. Just remember that Nokia is way too big too die and once their plans for WP7 emerges we will have a clearer vision of what they are up to. Symbian^3 will still be around for a long time to come, watch out for the quad-speaker X7 due soon, it will run Symbian^3.

bxm

The way I see this: Selling the E7 is an effort to get rid of stock that was manufactured before the red button in the factory could be pushed to stop the production process. Expect zero support from Nokia and the developer community. No developer will give it a second throught, so no new apps. This is for someone willing to live for 24 months (unless bought outside a contract) with what comes in the box and on the device, and the apps that are available for it now. Six months from now it will end up in a cupboard, at CashCrusaders, or against a wall. Get Android or WP7 on it and even I will queue for one.
+1

For me it is 80% about the apps and 20% about customization ability.

simbao53

LOL at anyone who buys this.
Nokia phones are still great business phones and even though the shares are slipping, its still has the biggest shares in the market!

Maybe a Win 7 Nokia phone will slow this movement back in its favour.

Having said that, I'm down with Nokia phones. but I trusted them since the late 90s

TJ99

Honorary Master
+1

For me it is 80% about the apps and 20% about customization ability.
Neither of which you'll get with this thing. Probably the worst purchase since the Sony Ericsson P1i. Or a farm in Zimbabwe.

WebWanderer

hell to the ****n yeah! Id buy it, considering im loving my n8. Symbian suits my everyday life as a musician, photographer, internet bug, heavy user and so on. And to WebWanderer@theres no need to remove battery anymore.
Android is looking awesome too, but dont like most the hardware companies using it.
I'm glad if you don't need to pop the battery, but when none of my phone's softkeys or hardkeys respond, even after waiting for a couple of minutes, and I'm already on the latest available software (at least for my specific operator-branded handset), then I think I see a need to remove the battery. Unless I should try waiting hours instead of minutes ;)

Anyway, glad to hear you're happy (genuinely), but I need to channel my hard-earned ZARRRRs elsewhere than the Nokia pit of frustration.