Nokia E7 launched in South Africa

Are you considering buying a Symbian smartphone?

• Yes

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 79.6%

• Total voters

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The Nokia E90 ended any hopes of that company ever getting any more of my money. It promised so much but delivered zero. Waited and waited for all the wonderful Symbian apps that would come ... and it never did. Some stupid tuff here and there and one or two decent themes, but never anything substantial that made the hardware worth having. I saw then that Nokia didn't give a damn. Nothing came of the promised firmware upgrades. I remember well following Nokia forums to see which E90's had the right markings .. the ones with keyboards not scratching the LCD screens, etc. In the end it was clear that Nokia never took the E90 or the users of it serious ... and so I learned never to take them serious again.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
OK, look at it this way then, no matter how bad the E7 is or how behind Android it is, its still miles ahead of blackcurrants, pineapples and other fruit phones ;)

wab512

I am also done with Nokia. The N8 is much better than the N97, but not good enough.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
i like to think of nokia, the converged device, as a swiss army knife, many tools for many jobs,
whereas BB, android and IOS use many tools for ONE job...
integrating all social sites into one doesn't do it for me, compared to a phone with different hardware capabilities like a torch, good battery life etc.

im expecting some flaming

bxm

i like to think of nokia, the converged device, as a swiss army knife, many tools for many jobs,
integrating all social sites into one doesn't do it for me, compared to a phone with different hardware capabilities like a torch, good battery life etc.

Obvious troll is obvious

DOOMIE61

Everyone forgets that nokia ruled the phone market in the 90's and early millennium.. just wish they would use android then they would still be an awesome phone:)

TJ99

Honorary Master
OK, look at it this way then, no matter how bad the E7 is or how behind Android it is, its still miles ahead of blackcurrants, pineapples and other fruit phones ;)

As much as I hate to agree with anyone who thinks Korean cars are not only a viable option for adults, but even "the best" (lol), this is correct.

Even the ancient and clunky Symbian can do the downright basic stuff that a certain fruit-phone can't, like multi-tasking and copy-and-paste. But, like the other fruit-phone, it looks dated and cumbersome to use with severely underpowered hardware. Then again, this second fruit-phone only recently started to come with modern (3G) data connections..

At the moment there's unfortunately only one system that has the functionality, the good looks and the hardware to back it up... There used to be 2, but the other one was killed and it's corpse reanimated to make Windows Phone 7.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Oh come now, seriously? Did you really think people would give a minute's serious time to such a dumb post.
There are some posts that immediately betray you as a fanboy of the worst kind.
And this one oozes with so much crap and lies that you are now in the same camp as the worst fanboys on this forum.
That means we put you in the same category as such other fanboy greats as Rouxenator, et al.
Well done. That's quite an achievement with one dumb post. :rolleyes:

IRVING

Amazes me how some people actually give in to the whole American concept that apps are the end all when it comes to smartphones.
Android market share might have increased dramatically over the past 2 years but if you look at it the actual manufacturers making these android products,they aren't really raking in the bucks and the actual phones seem like some knock off when handled. Nokia has always been known for its excellent build quality so you are almost guaranteed that the phone will still be in the condition you got it 2 years earlier (thats always been the case with the phones I had)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Upgraded to a N97, sold it a week later and got a 2nd hand 5800XM. Much better.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Nokia has always been known for its excellent build quality so you are almost guaranteed that the phone will still be in the condition you got it 2 years earlier (thats always been the case with the phones I had)

As long as you ignore the rubber band around the phone holding the battery in place, sure.

IRVING

As long as you ignore the rubber band around the phone holding the battery in place, sure.

Lol that happens with constant charging where the battery starts swelling, all you do is replace the battery and you good to go.

Im all for trying new things and people preferring other OS`s on their mobiles but I think its unfair to bash Nokia when they have contributed the most to the mobile world.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
+1

For me it is 80% about the apps and 20% about customization ability.
Interesting. For me it's 5% apps and 95% hardware... audio, battery life, reception, build quality.

Amazes me how some people actually give in to the whole American concept that apps are the end all when it comes to smartphones.
This. I don't get the obsession people have with apps. All the important apps you might need are available for Symbian from the Ovi store or on the developers' sites.

Now, getting back to the E7. I'm one of the people who voted "yes", because Symbian just happens to be installed on Nokia's best models right now.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Oh come now, seriously? Did you really think people would give a minute's serious time to such a dumb post.
There are some posts that immediately betray you as a fanboy of the worst kind.
And this one oozes with so much crap and lies that you are now in the same camp as the worst fanboys on this forum.
That means we put you in the same category as such other fanboy greats as Rouxenator, et al.
Well done. That's quite an achievement with one dumb post. :rolleyes:

Did you even read the article in the link that i have provided or are you just one of those dumb guys that give into marketing hype?
Who gives a #### if you can integrate your social sites into one POS with a crap battery life?
sooner or later you will get tired of your social sites, given the crap people moan about on fb nowadays...but hey, you want to be hip, look at me, i have a new shiny phone that pack a lot of cheap hardware underneath...

Im not a fan boy you tool, just because i dont follow the "i want to be in" trend does not make me a fanboy. Whatever works for you works...but i can still do whatever you can on my phone, and still play around with the hardware as much as i can.

Stop looking at things at face value and get down to the nitty gritty.

Flaming my thread and not taking into account of what i am saying only makes you a bigger fanboy.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Did you even read the article in the link that i have provided or are you just one of those dumb guys that give into marketing hype?
Who gives a #### if you can integrate your social sites into one POS with a crap battery life?
sooner or later you will get tired of your social sites, given the crap people moan about on fb nowadays...but hey, you want to be hip, look at me, i have a new shiny phone that pack a lot of cheap hardware underneath...

Im not a fan boy you tool, just because i dont follow the "i want to be in" trend does not make me a fanboy. Whatever works for you works...but i can still do whatever you can on my phone, and still play around with the hardware as much as i can.

Stop looking at things at face value and get down to the nitty gritty.

Flaming my thread and not taking into account of what i am saying only makes you a bigger fanboy.

Dude, your link comes from a Symbian Fan site. Nuff said.
My issue is with your specific wording that the Nokia Device is an all-in-one tool and all the others can only serve one function.
You also say that all the other smartphones are only about social network integration which is a huge exaggeration!
Epic fanboy language. But perhaps you would be so bold as to defend your statement with specifics and examples? :rolleyes:

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Generally I think it is great that Symbian is opensource, but app development for Androids is cheap and easy; Whereas Symbian app development seems to be more specialized and of course limited by the hardware. So of course it will have much more apps. It does not mean that the Android OS is better(It may be less stable who knows?), just that it will be more useful and powerful. And this E7 is hellishly expensive. One of the benefits of an OS like Android that encourages competition between hardware manufacturers is obviously that the hardware will end up cheaper.

Android - I choose you.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
ok i might be a bit huge...but you bashing my post is a bit out of line, not considering what i have to say, or not getting the point, there's no way you could have read all that info in that link in such a sort time, you probably saw, "allaboutmeego.com" and immediiately decided that its a fanboy thing. Did you even read it? if you read it, then you would notice that the author bashes symbian but bring different things to light....like the market and environment that played a role in what makes a smart phone a smart phone...you have to agree that almost all american phones are almost similar in the way that they put emphasis on one feature that im not going to mention before some other fanboy starts bashing without reading...

Other than Nokia, LG, although it uses android, always tries to bring something different to the table...
I just think that hardware plays an important role, maybe more.