Nokia halts Symbian sales in U.S. and Canada

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
This Elop guy really doesn't seem like he has a clue.

Hoping that this succeeds though. Another competitor in the smartphone market will be awesome.

Wyzak

Expert Member
Somehow halting all sales of current devices doesn't seam to make a lot of sense for a company struggling financially...

JAM007

Imagine, once upon a time they were leaders - now they play catch up and join others just to be part of the market since Symbian is in its last.

Last edited:

j4ck455

Executive Member
I will not miss Symbian but there isn't a version of Windows for mobiles that I have actually wanted to use, I still don't understand why Nokia chose to run with a Microsoft OS.

Knyro

PhD in Everything
The end of an era.

In addition to this, Nokia is doing away with their policy of selling high end devices as “unlocked” and carrier independent.

Not only is Nokia adopting M$ software, they are adopting M$ fail business tactics too. How long before a Nokia jailbreak is released? What a waste of time and money it is locking phones to a certain network when it's just going to be cracked in a few weeks anyway.

j4ck455

Executive Member
What a waste of time and money it is locking phones to a certain network when it's just going to be cracked in a few weeks anyway.
Nokia should rather worry about a time in the near future when people couldn't be arsed with buying the newest Nokia and hacking it to work on another network. Nokia is not going to regain top dog position unless it does a complete 180.

Saajid

Expert Member
Dropping Symbian completely is a good move, though I'm pretty sure it means they're just going to be dumping their existing stock in 3rd world markets, especially Africa, while pushing the new tech in first world countries. Sounds like a good strategy from Nokia's side, and it could do good to help connect the 3rd world countries if the stock is sold cheaply. Partnering with the networks and locking their devices in is a really stupid move. The push in technology nowadays is for openness & freedom, not more restriction. They need to set themselves apart from the rest.

isie

Honorary Master
Dropping Symbian completely is a good move, though I'm pretty sure it means they're just going to be dumping their existing stock in 3rd world markets, especially Africa, while pushing the new tech in first world countries. Sounds like a good strategy from Nokia's side, and it could do good to help connect the 3rd world countries if the stock is sold cheaply. Partnering with the networks and locking their devices in is a really stupid move. The push in technology nowadays is for openness & freedom, not more restriction. They need to set themselves apart from the rest.
the will probably still use Symbian for the lower end cell phones

theJonster

I will not miss Symbian but there isn't a version of Windows for mobiles that I have actually wanted to use, I still don't understand why Nokia chose to run with a Microsoft OS.

you obviously have read/research/tried/heard nothing about Windows 7... do so you and you would understand their decision...

Elimentals

Honorary Master
/me does his I told you so dance

Could see the writing on the wall back in Jan already, Symbian she is dead. Lets hope for Nokia's sake that Windows Phone 7 picks up some support, as it stands now the market share numbers paint an opposite picture.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
as it stands now the market share numbers paint an opposite picture.
As was the case when Android first entered the market.

WP7 is a great OS, and shouldn't be mistaken with earlier Windows Mobile incarnations.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
As was the case when Android first entered the market.

WP7 is a great OS, and shouldn't be mistaken with earlier Windows Mobile incarnations.

I wont ever do that that would be an insult to Windows Mobile 6.5.

From 6.5 to 7
They removed tethering, custom ringtones, customization, SD Cards hot-swap ability and a host other more features like even the ability to install applications from your PC. Not to even mention that crap UI called Metro.

Yes I know some of the features like Cut and paste will come back with mango but a lot of it wont.

j4ck455

Executive Member
you obviously have read/research/tried/heard nothing about Windows 7... do so you and you would understand their decision...
Perhaps it will come as a surprise to you that I never specifically mentioned Windows 7 in my post, and it is true that I have not tried a smartphone with this 7th iteration of a mobile OS, the 6 previous iterations put me off for life thank you very much.

The real issue is that Nokia is embracing all things proprietary and closed off whilst shunning openness.

MrGKruger

Because people like you dont want to go out and try it. Windows phone 7 is one great OS.

Cut and paste has already rolled out. Before you judge the OS try using it.