Nokia Lumia 710 review (Mybroadband)

QuintonB

BusinessTech Staff
Nokia Lumia 710 review

The Lumia 710 brings Windows 7 into a more affordable package; did Nokia manange to deliver the goods - or is it a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
I am sorry but for R4000 you can get a far better Android ICS phone, Nokia looses the plot again.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I am sorry but for R4000 you can get a far better Android ICS phone, Nokia looses the plot again.
I have to agree. At this price level, one can get quite a nice Android with a good quality screen. The Nokia is simply not worth it.

sii

I have to agree. At this price level, one can get quite a nice Android with a good quality screen. The Nokia is simply not worth it.
Available for £99 on pre-paid in the UK. So the SA importers are solely to blame for the R4K price tag. Ridiculous :wtf:

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Software
There wasn’t much to say about the software that came with the Lumia 800, and there’s even less to say about it with the 710. The reasoning is simple: what needs to be spoken about, has already been spoken about in the Lumia 800 review
I'm not quite sure what you're implying here. That no-one needs to be told about the Zune software? That videos need to be recoded before playing on the device? That there's no mail, contacts or calendar syncing? There's also the fact that this is a better buy than the Lumia 610 because of the software limitations. The biggest failing of the Lumia family is the lack of SD card support and that's important to a lot of people, too.

Not mentioning the Gorilla Glass layer is also a disappointment - people actually want a sturdy phone, like the old Nokias, you know? Also not mentioned is the fact that the screen isn't an AMOLED unit and is the same one appearing in the Lumia 610.

Conclusion
The Lumia 710 leaves very little to complain about, but on the flip side, it also gives very little to get excited about.
I think there's quite a bit to be excited about. Is it a Nokia device that at least competes with other mid-to-high-end phones? People everywhere have been wondering how they handle and whether its worth the upgrade from their older Nokia mobiles or even Windows Mobile (yes, there are still people using them) or Blackberry. The more WP mobiles we see in the country, the more Microsoft will focus on making things like Bing and Local Scout actually work properly like they do in Britain and America.

Its also a relatively easy OS for older, less experienced people to learn and as Symbian was always a staple for older users, so Windows Phone will make it easier to transition into the digital age on their own steam, not having to learn completely new things like Android and iOS. That's the best thing, IMO, about these devices.