Nokia Lumia 920 review (MyBroadband)

One really has to wonder about the conclusion drawn regarding the battery. I was surprised to see it score "only" 7 but then spotted the 4 against the battery which obviously heavily affected the overall score. Thought it bizarre that it was so bad so went to check out GSMArena, the one cellphone review source I really trust.

They appear to conclude that the 920 gets about as much use as any of the other smartphones out there at the moment. The video playback number is fairly low but then I do not know of many who watch more than 6 hours video on their phones at a go anyway.

gsmarena_002.jpg

The Galaxy S3:
gsmarena_002.jpg

The iPhone 4s:
gsmarena_002.jpg

grim

Expert Member
I played with one today, it's definitely not thick. It's not that heavy either, yeah it's not a light weight but it's not so heavy that it'll bother one after a day or two getting used to it.

Hicklethumb

I played with one today, it's definitely not thick. It's not that heavy either, yeah it's not a light weight but it's not so heavy that it'll bother one after a day or two getting used to it.
I dont get why lighter is always better when it comes to phones. I have never in my entire life walked around with a phone in my hand and thought I'm getting tired because it's too heavy.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
One really has to wonder about the conclusion drawn regarding the battery. I was surprised to see it score "only" 7 but then spotted the 4 against the battery which obviously heavily affected the overall score. Thought it bizarre that it was so bad so went to check out GSMArena, the one cellphone review source I really trust.

They appear to conclude that the 920 gets about as much use as any of the other smartphones out there at the moment. The video playback number is fairly low but then I do not know of many who watch more than 6 hours video on their phones at a go anyway.
It's on par with other smartphones, but that just makes it equally poor. I never saw the point of having a phone that can do all these wonderful things, when it dies before the end of the day. Which is one of the reasons I went for one of these:

Method

Executive Member
It really isn't that heavy. I've had mine for 2 days and I'm already used to the weight.

And battery isn't a problem either, mine's been on 1 charge for almost 2 days with wifi running and playing with it the whole time. I did change the data connection to 2G though, seeing that I don't use it much (wifi at home and at work).

Ivanr

Expert Member
I use one and can get up to 2 days from the battery with normal business use. This a wonderful phone with the best OS running in preference to any of the other trash on the market, in my view. Thank you Nokia.

Mys

i would love to get this phone (maxx) but where can i buy this phone in sa locally?
and repair/backup service?

It's on par with other smartphones, but that just makes it equally poor. I never saw the point of having a phone that can do all these wonderful things, when it dies before the end of the day. Which is one of the reasons I went for one of these:

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Your actual battery experience with the 920 is a factor of a number of (unknown) variables it seems.

One thing I can say after non-stop using a 920 for a number of weeks now is that the battery life is not predictable. I've seen a fully charged battery last a few hours, as little as 2 or 3 and then I've seen it lasts more than 2 days with similar usage patterns.

Sometimes I literally feel it heat up in my pocket (it's quite disconcerting) and can't find what's chowing the battery.

I hope it will be fixed in a software fix at some point as it seems to be a bug. Until then any review is really only repoting on what they found on the day.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Qualification would be warranted instead of just slamming it, surely? Why not post your own review?
No need i have the phone and half the items the reviewer stated are rubbish, my battery life is amazing on the phone. And the bad "facts" are mere opinions of the reviewer. I find the thickness much better than cheap ****ty thin phones.

For one thing this person who reviewed it clearly didnt play with it enough if you disable location service your battery life lasts much much longer (obviously because its not always connected to the GPS anymore).

So yeah thanks ill let proper websites review the devices.

Last edited:

McT

The Humble Scot!
No need i have the phone and half the items the reviewer stated are rubbish, my battery life is amazing on the phone. And the bad "facts" are mere opinions of the reviewer. I find the thickness much better than cheap ****ty thin phones.

For one thing this person who reviewed it clearly didnt play with it enough if you disable location service your battery life lasts much much longer (obviously because its not always connected to the GPS anymore).

So this is truck loads better than "poor review". At least we/I can appreciate your thoughts on the review. As mentioned above, much of the review is based on experience of the device at a point in time.

For the record, this would be my preferred No. 2 phone.

grim

Expert Member

We all know that MyBB are iFan boys that will throw their panties at Crapple.

Jannie will back me on this, this the 920 is the best phone we've seen in many many years.

falcon786

Executive Member
I have had the s3,920 and iphone 5 during the last few weeks and I can safely say the ONLY thing they got spot on in the review is the slightly grainy daylight pics,other than that the review was flawed IMO.

The phone feels solid and very well built,of the three I would say the 920 feels the nicest in hand,really liked holding the phone.The s3 felt the worst in hand.The lumia 920 did not feel heavy or bulky at all.

The battery life was comparable to the s3 although I did also switch the gps of which is on by default,maybe that drained the phone battery in this test?

As far as pics are concerned in low light and normal light the images were the best Ive experienced on a cellphone and 5 out of seven pics came out not blurry while with phones like s3.one x and iphone 5 only about 3 out of seven came out not blurry so that image stabilization is doing its its job.

Also I had no false swipe issues in the gallery so either mybb got a faulty device or they are swiping funny.To add to that the sensitivity of the screen can be adjusted and when you put it on high i could use my fingers through a dish cloth and easily use the phone so you really can use the phone with gloves if the screen is set to high sensitivity mode.I have not been able to replicate that with iphone 5 or s3.The screen itself is very very good, while it doesn't have the painted on look of the htc one x or the deep blacks of the lumia 800/s3 but its still excellent with great brightness,sharpness and contrast.Combined with the best touch sensitivity of any device to date its amongst the best in the business.

I would still rate the s3 as the best phone out right now with the lumia 920 in second and the iphone 5 in third.I haven't tried an htc butterfly yet though,it looks like it could be good.

Last edited:

JacquesZA

No matter how great the hardware, with bad apps or few apps it will fail.

I like the nexus 4 just sorry its not in sa, like 920 but app store disappoints.

Thats why im still on my iPhone 5.

Maybe in a year the win8 phones will be a option

roguemat

Expert Member
Agreed, there is a lot wrong with this review.
My 920 lasts over a day every day. It died fast once, but it was because it was switching between 2G and 3G a lot due to low signal (in a cinema). I've forced it to only use 3G and it's been fine ever since. And Portico fixes this and a bunch of other things.

The only real valid criticism is the lack of apps. But people make a big deal over this when it sometimes isn't one. It really depends on what you need. All the people I know that have WP's have every app they need, or atleast alternatives. There are things that can't be done on the phone, but most people just criticize the lack of apps because it seems like what everyone is doing. Just look over all the apps you use every day, and then look if there are alternatives. For the most part, there are. And some of the apps are actually better than other platforms (checkout the new Facebook).

Anyway, this is by far the best device I've used, and the only real problem is apps which is solving itself quickly.

p.s. The Portico update also fixes the image sharpness problem, and the new images look fantastic.

Last edited: