Nokia N8 shoots the cover for a photographic magazine

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-n8-shoots-the-cover-for-a-photographic-magazine/

The December issue of the South African PiX photographic magazine is a special one. You can’t see why just by looking at it, but when you learn how it was shot you’ll know it deserves a big credit.

Nokia N8, the highly acclaimed cameraphone, took the cover photo. In fact, the phone did all the shots from which the cover shot was picked.

main.jpg

There is no app for that, you just need an N8.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Nice. Is that raw or edited? Edited isn't it? Well I can take a 5MP with my phone. Photoshop it. Make it look as good. The job of a dedicated camera will never be replaced by cellphones. Maybe in the year 2500.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Sure it will never be replaced - but the N8 does put most point and shoot digital camera to shame. Show me a magazine cover that has not been photoshoped. The image sensor in your phone is nowhere near the same size as the one in the N8.

fvdbergh

Half of what makes a magazine cover shot is lighting control. With effective lighting control, even a cheap compact can produce acceptable shots, so I rate this as merely a stunt.

Looking at the photo, it seems as if they have quite a bit of shadow in the image. This could be a cheat, though, because they could simply "underexpose" the shot after the fact in software, producing what looks like great shadow detail from a cellphone camera.

Anyhow, who am I trying to convince ? :)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Sure, they use trickery with all cover shots these days - be it from a 5D or phone - but that is not the point. What this illustrates is that the Nokia N8 is (like I predicted) the best phone the human race has built so far.

arf9999

MyBroadband Member
Er.. I could buy a Nikon D3100 for less than the price of an N8, and it takes even better pictures. And it's also crap at being a smartphone.

f035

What this illustrates is that the Nokia N8 is (like I predicted) the best phone the human race has built so far.

:wtf: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... the best phone the human race has built so far
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:wtf:

undesign

Executive Member
You mean the best camera in a phone ever built. ;-) I actually bought the mag, the cover looks very good (hair doesn't though, looks over sharpened, unnatural). Yes, they detail the photo shoot - and there was obviously serious lighting involved.

Nonetheless, regardless of which phone is used - it is amazing how far we've come technologically.

Edduck

Expert Member
Half of what makes a magazine cover shot is lighting control. With effective lighting control, even a cheap compact can produce acceptable shots, so I rate this as merely a stunt.

Looking at the photo, it seems as if they have quite a bit of shadow in the image. This could be a cheat, though, because they could simply "underexpose" the shot after the fact in software, producing what looks like great shadow detail from a cellphone camera.

Anyhow, who am I trying to convince ? :)

PiX mag is available from exclusive books if you want to see how the shoot was done. They used studio continuous LED lighting which are VERY bright and a modified light stand as a tripod for the camera. The N8 does have an higher dynamic range and per pixel detail than all current cellphones. BUT if you look closely at the image quality of the cover you can see that you can't really print higher than A4 before the image quality deteriorates. As a comparison my 8 megapixel Canon 350D can be pushed to A2 before image quality suffers!

I think the point of the shoot was to demonstrate that you do not need a medium format or full frame 35mm camera to take cover quality images. This would definately not have been possible 5 years ago!!!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Er.. I could buy a Nikon D3100 for less than the price of an N8, and it takes even better pictures. And it's also crap at being a smartphone.

The last part does not make sense at all. It is the best smart phone in the universe at the moment. While some so called smartphones are locked down to a point where you can even copy files onto its internal memory, the N8 invites you to connect external storage to it so that you can freely browse and copy to the internal memory.

Not only that but it also allows USB mass storage mode (like Nokia has done for 5 years now). Let me put it this way, the N8 can do everything all other smartphones does - but it does it better - and on top of that it does a whole lot more.

So in terms of smartphone, it is the best.

Edit : did a nice 1:1 crop on a N8 pic last week - the quality in daylight is brilliant -> http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...-a-photo-.-.?p=5250299&viewfull=1#post5250299

The reason is that the N8 has a 1/1.83'' sensor which is about the same as the Canon Powershot G-range.

Last edited:

HJF

The last part does not make sense at all. It is the best smart phone in the universe at the moment. While some so called smartphones are locked down to a point where you can even copy files onto its internal memory, the N8 invites you to connect external storage to it so that you can freely browse and copy to the internal memory.

Not only that but it also allows USB mass storage mode (like Nokia has done for 5 years now). Let me put it this way, the N8 can do everything all other smartphones does - but it does it better - and on top of that it does a whole lot more.

So in terms of smartphone, it is the best.

Edit : did a nice 1:1 crop on a N8 pic last week - the quality in daylight is brilliant -> http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...-a-photo-.-.?p=5250299&viewfull=1#post5250299

The reason is that the N8 has a 1/1.83'' sensor which is about the same as the Canon Powershot G-range.

Just because you have one doesn't make it the best. If I want a camera, I'll buy a camera... If I want a smartphone I'll buy something that doesn't use Symbian.

Oh and here is how you do a photoshoot with an iPhone ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Just because you have one doesn't make it the best. If I want a camera, I'll buy a camera... If I want a smartphone I'll buy something that doesn't use Symbian.

Oh and here is how you do a photoshoot with an iPhone ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY

The iphone has an inferior image sensor and its imaging abilities are weak if you compare it to other run of the mill camera phones. Apart from that its locked down beyond the point of usability and its actually embarrassing to see an old timer like Symbian whipping iOS in terms of features.

With your logic of "If I want a camera, I'll buy a camera" - why do you even bother with a smartphone? Why not just buy a phone, a pager, a gps, a flash drive, a netbook, a watch, a voice recorder, a gameboy, a music player, a video camera and a PDA ? I mean, since you do not believe in and integrated device you might as well just go for all out separate components.

HJF

The iphone has an inferior image sensor and its imaging abilities are weak if you compare it to other run of the mill camera phones. Apart from that its locked down beyond the point of usability and its actually embarrassing to see an old timer like Symbian whipping iOS in terms of features.

With your logic of "If I want a camera, I'll buy a camera" - why do you even bother with a smartphone? Why not just buy a phone, a pager, a gps, a flash drive, a netbook, a watch, a voice recorder, a gameboy, a music player, a video camera and a PDA ? I mean, since you do not believe in and integrated device you might as well just go for all out separate components.

Well the camera is the only thing the smartphone can't do as good or better than all the other things you listed?

And look at teh video, the images they take look better than the Pix cover ;)

SubliminalThought

I actually have a phone, gps, flash drives, netbook, dslr, watch, psp, ipod... :wtf:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I actually have a phone, gps, flash drives, netbook, dslr, watch, psp, ipod... :wtf:

Does your safari jacket have enough pockets for each of them? Do you also carry a gun with you to protect yourself from people who will kill you just to steal something ?

SubliminalThought

lol, I don't carry them all the time. My feelings on integrated devices is that for people that want them they are awesome. The swiss army of electronics. I might even get me a smartphone at my next upgrade as having the ability to be able to do multiple things on one device (even if some of them are poorly performed is a plus).

However, if I really want to enjoy myself taking photos, I take out the DSLR. If I want to browse the net, type larger documents, shoot tethered I use the laptop. and so forth and so on. I'm not knocking the N8. Pics looks awesome, quality is good and yes it does put Point and Shoots to shame. It probably is a good smartphone too. I just won't use what it has to offer as I won't play games/surf the net on a screen that small.

Different usage patterns...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Very valid points - being integrated does mean you have to make some sacrifices.