Nokia N8 To Be The World’s First Handset to Feature Dolby Digital Plus!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/010/04/dolby_and_nokia_to_bring_hd_audio_experience_to_mobile.htm

Dolby Laboratories, Inc. announced a collaboration that will see Nokia incorporate Dolby surround sound technologies into select handsets worldwide.

The two companies revealed their collaboration following the launch of the Nokia® N8, Nokia’s latest smart phone based on the Symbian^3 platform, and the world’s first smart phone to incorporate Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound technology.

“The collaboration between Nokia and Dolby, a world leader in entertainment technology, now brings cinema-like experiences to mobile,” said Jo Harlow, head of smart phones, Nokia.

“The Nokia N8 is the first smart phone to offer a true home theater experience with HD quality and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound by simply plugging the device into a home theater system with an HDMI™ cable.”

The inclusion of Dolby Digital Plus in the Nokia N8 brings a new dimension to the capabilities of the smart phone, transforming it into an HD mobile entertainment device, which can output high definition content with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 channel surround sound to HD-ready TVs, audio/video receivers (AVRs), and home theater systems via HDMI.

“Nokia is a market leader in mobile entertainment and we are delighted to be working with them to bring Dolby Digital Plus to the mobile market,” said Kevin Yeaman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dolby Laboratories.

“The Nokia N8 is a versatile and compact entertainment center and demonstrates the exciting future for mobile entertainment. We believe it is set to change how people use mobile devices by allowing them to share the experience of enjoying high definition content with friends and family.”

Let's not forget about that awesome up-sized 12megapixel sensor on the back and the beautiful new Symbian^3 UI.

Naturally that is what one would expect from the N-series, the worlds best mobile multimedia computer range - ever ;)

hexagon

Expert Member
Well, it must get a prize for creating a market that doesn't really exist. I can't remember ever wishing my phone did surround sound. If I've ever shared videos with friends, they've usually been YouTube derived or homemade - I can't remember if someone has ever needed to hook up a phone to the home theater system. How many HD videos could fit on the phone, anyway? (edit: 16GB internal memory, so that makes a grand total of about one).

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Well, it must get a prize for creating a market that doesn't really exist. I can't remember ever wishing my phone did surround sound. If I've ever shared videos with friends, they've usually been YouTube derived or homemade - I can't remember if someone has ever needed to hook up a phone to the home theater system. How many HD videos could fit on the phone, anyway? (edit: 16GB internal memory, so that makes a grand total of about one).

True story - what on earth would you do with it??

Vegeta

Executive Member
Home theater phone? wtf?... FIX YOUR UI!!! Stale old Symbian still looks like sh it!

Last edited:

oronte

Expert Member
The reviews seem to be quite negative. Mobile-review was really harsh. A lot of top of the line features no one needs. It's weird that Nokia have so much money but they can't manage a decent update to their ui.

Vegeta

Executive Member
The reviews seem to be quite negative. Mobile-review was really harsh. A lot of top of the line features no one needs. It's weird that Nokia have so much money but they can't manage a decent update to their ui.
They'll have to resort to something like Android because they've been asleep... but they wont do that over their dead bodies so they screw you with a dead sick symbian cow over and over and over and over

miff

Clearly this is a multimedia phone that can outclass the best... but its running miff symbian(the office hobo)

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Clearly you guys are one-sided,the mobile review guy who "trashed" the phone was the same dude who said the N900 was a pile of crap,& how wrong was he?

The phone he used had early prototype firmware on,you cannot base your assumption on that ie.SE X10,pre-release & how it everntually turns out...

The N8 is the is running the new Symbian^3 platform which has a many of improvments over S60 V5 (Touck UI)...

With spec like HDMI out with Dolby 5.1 sound and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n & BT3.0 & USB On-the-Go (you can transfer files from a flash drive hdd,via a cable to the microUB port of the phone),no need for a computer) this phone is top of the charts.

Lets also not mention that camera lens of the N8 is 30% bigger than any camera phone: http://blog.gsmarena.com/how-large-is-the-nokia-n8-12-megapixel-large-image-sensor/

I advise to also look at the 12mp camera sample & the HD video sample & come back...

I know they will be many here who laughs at the ARM11 680MHz CPU & 256mb RAM (coming from 1GHz & 512mb RAM) but Symbian^3 has full demand paging (Symbian^1 only had it partially),

-- Android is quite significantly heavier that Symbian^3. The entire application layer in Andriod is running on the Dalvik virtual machine(!), and the UI and application layer services takes almost twice the amount of RAM, than Symbian will ever do.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Uhm guys.... that is via HDMI. You know HDMI? Its nothing big really, just the best way to connect multimedia devices in order to stream high bandwidth digital video and sound across a single interface. Ifs OK if you have no clue about it - you LCD/Plasma display knows about it so you don't have to.
But don't worry, in 3 years them everyone will know about it when the iPhone 7G comes out with this "new" feature.

Symbian is the most beautiful UI sitting on the most powerful OS for mobile devices. It was also used on the worlds first touchscreen phone so there is really nothing wrong with it. Have a read here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian_OS and see how many UIs have been successfully ran on top of Symbian. Some might even say it ran n-1 UIs more that say... the iPhone ? Now there is flexibility for you.

This phone is better than any other phone ever made and it even takes a slash on some of those new pad or tampon devices as well.

oronte

Expert Member
Sorry, Symbian was great but the UI is seriously outdated. Please explain what practical use hdmi will be in a phone? At R2 a meg or even 28c meg what use will that be exactly? I'm not knocking the features, they're nice but generally impractical and very clearly a last ditch attempt to say "we're still relevant" much like the SE satio before it. Perhaps, like SE, after the general failure of this device to even remotely compete with any other smartphone Nokia will wake up.

oronte

Expert Member
On another note top of the line features are nice but most people have realised these mean nothing if the system underlying it can't keep up (HTC HD2 is a perfect example). My Blackberry may not have the prettiest UI but I can do anything faster than any other OS I've tried (and I've tried them all). Symbian 3 is only just catching up with UIQ features they have a long way to go.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Uhm, sorry for this classic iPhone line right here, but when last did you actually use a Series60 5th device ?

You said something about a device that relies on BS ? Or BiS? Sorry I am not that familiar with that kind of S.

oronte

Expert Member
Wow you really are worse than the iphone people. I used my friend's N97 or 98 or whatever useless touchscreen it is and he agrees it's got great features but useless UI compared to everything else available.
You might be more brainwashed than the iphone people. And Steve Jobs is at least compelling - like a zombie leader. You've got no one to fall back on for your stupidity. And I didn't mention anything about the Blackberry internet service at all (obviously one of the many areas you display your complete lack of understanding of anything that doesn't say Nokia on it).

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
True - but ok - lets get back to the point here - you said at 28c per MB what is the use of HDMI ? Well firstly there is wifi on the device so that is one answer - secondly - what the hell does data chargers have to do with HDMI ?
I mean, seriously, for once we have a device that is perfect in every way and out classes everything including some pretty hot Lamborhinis and Ferarris - and somehow people still try to find something wrong with it ?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Wel, sure, the name is not that striking - I agree - but it looks beautiful and the things it can do... it blows the rest away. And lets not even talk about the hardware.
But yeah - you shoudl hate it - it does not have an illuminated apple badge on.

oronte

Expert Member
I think you're one a handful of people who actually believes that. If you're using wifi then why not stream from a PC which will not run out of battery life while you're watching a film? Why anyone would want or actually use hdmi and dolby sound on a phone is beyond me. It's like samsung have tv out which no one actually uses so nokia have to have hdmi so they can better it. These features are just over the top (and in every day life mostly useless). This phone reeks of desperation rather than innovation. I'm sure you'll buy it but look at it practically how often will you use all these crazy features (look at your last phone as an example)? I think 90% of people would rather give up those cool features to have a pleasurable daily user experience hence the success of the iphone, android, and blackberry. And while I agree with you that the iphone is overhyped you can't argue with it's real world success. Nokia have about 30+ models on sale at any one time while Blackberry have 3 and Apple has only one yet the two latter companies are doing incredibly well. Especially with Apple: how can it be that one device, flawed as it is, has so many users who keep upgrading for only slightly updated hardware? The only answer is the user interface and the fact that daily use is a pleasurable experience for its users.
Nokia have historically been behind on the times - sliders, flip phones, cameras, smart phones, e-mail, music players, pdas, touchscreens - nearly every major innovation in the industry was pioneered by other companies and Nokia have always been the last to adopt or change. Perhaps it reflects their users who don't like change either and have warm memories of their old brick phones and aren't really willing to try anything else. PS: I typed this entire message (as all my messages) on my Blackberry (yet another form factor and concept Nokia were the last to copy with their E Series)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
People said the same thing about TV-out on devices, and somehow it makes it a lot easier to share photos on projectors or LCDs. Now it is possible in HD, but hey, if you don't need it get a 1110i or some other phone.
I have typed lots of stuff on 9000, 9110, 9210 and 9500 communicators so I don't see your point with typing things on a fruit ?