Nokia 'paid millions to software blackmailers six years ago'

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Now if they open sourced it, there would have been no problem. And it might well have been the most popular mobile OS in the world, with no need for anyone to develop Android.

cozinsky

Expert Member
This is not a smart company. Why pay so much to protect a crappy OS? No wonder they have lost most of their market share.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
This is not a smart company. Why pay so much to protect a crappy OS? No wonder they have lost most of their market share.
Not sure why they tried to protect Symbian. At one stage it was the largest "smartphone" OS, but it was never going to compete with the likes of android and ios.
I bought a nokia lumia 1520 last week and I have to say they still make really great products. The battery life is around 3-4 days and the build quality makes any samsung look like a toy.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Not sure why they tried to protect Symbian. At one stage it was the largest "smartphone" OS, but it was never going to compete with the likes of android and ios.
Six years ago iOS was in it's infancy and Android hadn't even been released.

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
We've got to give them credit for their effort in trying to maintain a secure system.

The main compromise of Android is security. That's the cost that Android comes with. Personal security is risked at Google's success.

I guess that's what these guys were trying to drive Nokia into.

Last edited:

Fingolfin

Maybe there were some "compromising" bits to be seen, that would be removed if ever Nokia did officially open source things in their own time...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Also potentially, the encryption key was used in other aspects of Nokia's product line.

It may not have been about Symbian, but more about the ability to decrypt other things.

lexis

After experiencing the Nokia Asha trashphone I truly can't say that I have any sympathy with them.