Nokia will sell mobile phone unit to Microsoft for 5.44 billion euros

icyrus

Executive Member
Bringing Nokia under Microsoft's mismanagement probably won't help, especially if Elop becomes the CEO.

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
Prediction: The end of the Asha devices is near. Microsoft will most possibly launch cheap windows Phone devices to kill that segment of the marked, and then they will eventually kill S40 as well. Microsoft's plan is really clear. they want to dominate the whole Mobile scene, like they dominated the desktop scene ages ago.

Petec

Expert Member
One of the reasons that some phones don't have SD storage is that they say stuff you to paying licencing fees to MS.
Just another example of MS dominance affecting open growth.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Great news. MS has needed vertical integration for a while now

JStrike

Honorary Master
])ragon_\/oid;11080741 said:
Prediction: The end of the Asha devices is near. Microsoft will most possibly launch cheap windows Phone devices to kill that segment of the marked, and then they will eventually kill S40 as well. Microsoft's plan is really clear. they want to dominate the whole Mobile scene, like they dominated the desktop scene ages ago.
Huh? MS owns the Asha brand now

Electron1

Expert Member
Was inevitable. Wonder if they will still make the real cheap Nokia's?

F

Fudzy

Do you guys think they'll keep the brand or bin it? Or make it Nokia - By Microsoft?

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Do you guys think they'll keep the brand or bin it? Or make it Nokia - By Microsoft?
The real question is what incentive if any will there be for other OEM's to continue current and future licencing of Windows Phone OS. When Microsoft just had a deal with Nokia, HTC, Lenovo, Samsung and others where competing with Nokia with Windows Phones, now they will be competing directly with Microsoft that will have a 100% homegrown advantage.

In short, will we still see Samsung Windows Phones?

lucifir

Expert Member
this was the plan all along for MS.
we all knew Elop was a mole, as no real CEO will ignore the huge market share of android and stick with only windows, especially when the company is already in the doldrums.
Guess with steve leaving soon and the low price of the nokia shares, he thought it best to make his move now.
Also quite certain that Elop will be the next MS CEO. This was probably his reward for tanking nokia

grim

Expert Member
Was inevitable. Wonder if they will still make the real cheap Nokia's?
Yes, Asha phones are part of the deal.

They will continue to use the Nokia name on the Asha phones for at least 10 years, not sure about the Lumia phones

JStrike

Honorary Master
this was the plan all along for MS.
we all knew Elop was a mole, as no real CEO will ignore the huge market share of android and stick with only windows, especially when the company is already in the doldrums.
Guess with steve leaving soon and the low price of the nokia shares, he thought it best to make his move now.
Also quite certain that Elop will be the next MS CEO. This was probably his reward for tanking nokia
How about substantiating your conspiracy theory with some facts?

JStrike

Honorary Master
M$ going to kill that line off in favour of cheaper Lumia devices you watch and see, does Nokia still control it's mapping services?
What is with the Dollar sign in MS? I thought that was limited to 15 yr olds back in the 90's.
And to answer your question, Nokia retains the Here division.

Why would they kill off Asha when they paid of lot of money to own the brand?

grim

Expert Member
M$ going to kill that line off in favour of cheaper Lumia devices you watch and see, does Nokia still control it's mapping services?

They might move the Asha phones to WP but they will retain the branding. MS has more than enough resources to start their own mobile phone devision. They are buying the name more than anything else. Nokia still rules the feature phone market and MS will make sure it stays that way

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
What is with the Dollar sign in MS? I thought that was limited to 15 yr olds back in the 90's.
To be fair, they starting to do everything again that earned em that $ sign in the 1st place....

More political correct would be to say they never stopped, just toned it down a little.

/ducks

siraman

Expert Member

Because I believe MS will stuff it up as evidenced by the many missed opportunities over the years.I mean they stuffed up the release of Windows 8 and had to backtrack on some options,same with the Xbox One and believe you me the same will happen to Nokia.See below examples

http://www.howtogeek.com/162030/mic...op-10-product-opportunities-microsoft-missed/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-23/six-opportunities-steve-ballmer-missed-at-microsoft-.html

Or simply google "opportunities microsoft missed" and weep.:crying:

House

Banned
This actually comes as no surprise. Rumors surfaced about MS taking over Nokia almost 2-3 years ago. Both companies denied the acquisition / merger rumors. Naive investors were calmed down by two lying companies in order to ensure stocks do not take too big a dip while the agreement was ongoing.

Rumors also surfaced that MS will take over Nokia and replace the brand with Windows Phone models. They have no interest in growing or continuing with the Nokia brand. This acquisition is merely about getting rid of competition in the market. What MS are really after is the patents Nokia held.

So, as for Nokia the end is now in sight. Soon you will see no more Nokia devices.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Because I believe MS will stuff it up as evidenced by the many missed opportunities over the years.I mean they stuffed up the release of Windows 8 and had to backtrack on some options,same with the Xbox One and believe you me the same will happen to Nokia.See below examples

http://www.howtogeek.com/162030/mic...op-10-product-opportunities-microsoft-missed/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-23/six-opportunities-steve-ballmer-missed-at-microsoft-.html

Or simply google "opportunities microsoft missed" and weep.:crying:
My only fear is that Microsoft moves to slow for the mobile world. For example Windows Phone was said to bypass carriers and update all their devices at the same time and more often. They missed both promises in a big way. Windows Phone actual updates are slower than the rest.

I hope I am wrong and they can speed up development - rollout oppa Apple style, but I doubt it not with all the red tape that usually comes with big corporations, and Microsoft is as big and full of tape as you can get.