Nokia will sell mobile phone unit to Microsoft for 5.44 billion euros

siraman

Expert Member
My only fear is that Microsoft moves to slow for the mobile world.
Correct!! Look at the f**k up that is Windows RT.We should be fearing what is happening to Nokia in light of...

On Friday, Asus announced that it was pulling out of the Windows RT market. This follows the withdrawal of Samsung, HP, Lenovo, and HTC, leaving Dell as the sole third-party Windows RT OEM
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...mps-ship-leaving-just-a-single-windows-rt-oem

How can one company keep getting it so wrong yet still be relevant somewhat?

lucifir

Expert Member
How about substantiating your conspiracy theory with some facts?
which aspects do you think needs proof/facts that is not already in the news right now??

From the time that Elop joined nokia and opted only to use windows and ignored the huge demand for android, the rumours were he was a MS mole. Now with the current take over bid, it seems like those rumours had substance.

Garson007

Honorary Master
This is sad news to me ... I hope MS will uphold device quality, but somehow I doubt it.
You make it sound as if MS hasn't always held up quality software. That besides, the hardware will still be made by ex-Nokia employees for the foreseeable future.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
You make it sound as if MS hasn't always held up quality software. That besides, the hardware will still be made by ex-Nokia employees for the foreseeable future.
Guess you missed the part where Nokia was retrenching people and moving manufacturing to China?

Garson007

Honorary Master
Naive investors were calmed down by two lying companies in order to ensure stocks do not take too big a dip while the agreement was ongoing.
What nonsense. Stocks jump on acquisition and merger rumours and confirmations of intent.

House

Banned
Guess you missed the part where Nokia was retrenching people and moving manufacturing to China?
....and also closed a hell of a lot of retail outlets around, especially Europe, and around the world. And, this started 2 years ago.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
....and also closed a hell of a lot of retail outlets around, especially Europe, and around the world. And, this started 2 years ago.
Dont know about 2 years go, but remember seeing this last year: http://www.intomobile.com/2012/02/08/end-era-nokia-stop-making-phones-finland-factories-moved-china/

End of an Era: Nokia to stop making phones in Finland, factories to be moved to China

Half a decade ago when I first started covering Nokia’s every single move, there were debates in many online forums about whether or not someone’s new Nokia smartphone was better just because it was “Made in Finland” instead of “Made by Nokia”. The former signaled to people that what they were using was not only designed and developed in Finland, but also made in the same country where standards were assumed to be higher. Devices in the latter category were shunned by Nokia enthusiasts for illogical reasons. Today the Finnish handset maker announced that they’ll not only be closing their factory in Salo, Finland, but that they’ll also be shutting down their factories in Komarom, Hungary and Reynosa, Mexico. Why? Niklas Savander, Nokia Executive Vice President of Markets:

“Shifting device assembly to Asia is targeted at improving our time to market. By working more closely with our suppliers, we believe that we will be able to introduce innovations into the market more quickly and ultimately be more competitive. We recognize the planned changes are difficult for our employees and we are committed to supporting our personnel and their local communities during the transition.”

How many people are going to get the axe? About 4,000. Nearly 1,000 of those folks are in Finland alone according to YLE. Now we’re not really surprised by any of this. Everyone makes everything in China, and has been for a long time. Nokia was the only one crazy enough to keep factories outside Asia, but now that’s changed.
Will Nokia’s new “Made in China” smartphones be any different than their “Made in Finland” smartphones? Not really. Just look at Apple, who makes everything in China, yet gets praise for the fantastic build quality of their devices. The real question is will Nokia pass on the cost savings they’ll now get thanks to cheap Asian labor to consumers? Something tells us the answer is no, but hey, we would be delighted to be proven wrong.

JStrike

Honorary Master
which aspects do you think needs proof/facts that is not already in the news right now??

From the time that Elop joined nokia and opted only to use windows and ignored the huge demand for android, the rumours were he was a MS mole. Now with the current take over bid, it seems like those rumours had substance.
What "huge demand" for android on on Nokia devices? Or are you somehow confusing some fanboys desire with actual market research? If they had gone with Android, they feared they would end up like HTC has ended up. And those fears appear to have been well founded.
Ad for "Elop" being a mole, don't make the basic mistake of confusing correlation with causation. Your tin-foil hat is cutting of your blood circulation.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
What "huge demand" for android on on Nokia devices? Or are you somehow confusing some fanboys desire with actual market research? If they had gone with Android, they feared they would end up like HTC has ended up. And those fears appear to have been well founded.
Ad for "Elop" being a mole, don't make the basic mistake of confusing correlation with causation. Your tin-foil hat is cutting of your blood circulation.
What? that HTC grew market share compared to when they only made Windows Mobile phones. HTC now is a much bigger co than back in the Windows Mobile days. Sure they not Samsung or Apple bringing home millions but they did grow.

Nokia use to be bigger than what Samsung is now, maybe if they pushed their expertise into Android devices as well as Windows Phone, they might have ended up with a bigger market share & better price than they at now.

wazarmoto

Nokia will boom again IF they decide to have android devices. Lumia phones have great body design but lack a great OS. Windows is nice but not great. Android is where it's at currently. I work in the cellular retail industry and for interest sake I always ask my customers if they would buy a nokia phone with Android on it. They jump at the idea. They would all, who are running towards samsung, go back to nokia.

Well this is an interesting deal that nokia has gone into. Will be nice to see the outcome in the long run

lucifir

Expert Member
Nokia did have a big following, and there has been many calls for an android phone by them, but you right, no research on the expected demand. I was however, referring to the demand for android phones as an overall, and not specific to nokia. Had they gotten onto the android bandwagon, they may have gone back to form, due to the demand for android phones. Not sure on HTC and their issues, but it probably has to do with the fact that they aim is for the upper scale in the market, while not providing cutting edge features like samsung and apple.

Elop sunk nokia even futher than it already was, and now MS is getting the company for a steal, as the share price is at close to all time lows, due to Elop, and you think there was no play here by MS?? You must be a very devout fanboy or do not think very much of MS to orchestrate this. But you continue calling it a "conspiracy theory", even though its staring you in the face. Feel free to live in ignorant bliss :)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Still with the Nokia running Android nonsense...

Nokia make the best Windows Phones around, and they have the largest percentage market share of that... so they have a decent enough share of the market. WP has roughly 8.5% of the market from what I can see, and I would assume that Nokia has 80 - 90% of that market share... Thats pretty decent for a company that is producing rubbish stuff that nobody wants.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Nokia did have a big following, and there has been many calls for an android phone by them, but you right, no research on the expected demand. I was however, referring to the demand for android phones as an overall, and not specific to nokia. Had they gotten onto the android bandwagon, they may have gone back to form, due to the demand for android phones. Not sure on HTC and their issues, but it probably has to do with the fact that they aim is for the upper scale in the market, while not providing cutting edge features like samsung and apple.

Elop sunk nokia even futher than it already was, and now MS is getting the company for a steal, as the share price is at close to all time lows, due to Elop, and you think there was no play here by MS?? You must be a very devout fanboy or do not think very much of MS to orchestrate this. But you continue calling it a "conspiracy theory", even though its staring you in the face. Feel free to live in ignorant bliss :)
What demand for Android? The sales number indicate there is a massive demand for Samsung Galaxy devices. Not for Android devices. HTC, LG, Sony et all can all attest to that.

And yes, you have presented no facts, so I am still calling it a conspiracy theory. And calling me a "fanboy" doesn't detract from your lack of facts

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Still with the Nokia running Android nonsense...

Nokia make the best Windows Phones around, and they have the largest percentage market share of that... so they have a decent enough share of the market. WP has roughly 8.5% of the market from what I can see, and I would assume that Nokia has 80 - 90% of that market share... Thats pretty decent for a company that is producing rubbish stuff that nobody wants.
Not what I see in these posts. I don't think it can be disputed that Nokia's handsets are of an extremely good quality. The way down bottom end perhaps, but looking at the mid and upper class phones, they surely are still as good as it always was.

lucifir

Expert Member
What demand for Android? The sales number indicate there is a massive demand for Samsung Galaxy devices. Not for Android devices. HTC, LG, Sony et all can all attest to that.

And yes, you have presented no facts, so I am still calling it a conspiracy theory. And calling me a "fanboy" doesn't detract from your lack of facts
ok .. just for you :) :
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dd04faf0-1452-11e3-9289-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2dpSdE9FE
High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dd04faf0-1452-11e3-9289-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2dpTBjmRO

Still, questions are likely to be raised about the role of Stephen Elop, who moved from Microsoft to become Nokia’s chief executive in 2010.

Nokia’s sales of both smartphones – the high-end, most profitable part of the business – and cheaper feature phones have collapsed during his tenure.

Mr Elop abandoned Nokia’s homegrown operating systems for Microsoft’s unproven Windows Phone
also : http://www.wpcentral.com/stephen-elop-now-internal-candidate-microsoft-ceo

also : http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2335616

see android market share of close to 70%, while samsung has 22% market share . Nokia still up there with 19%, but I presume its of low-end phones.

Happy now :)

JStrike

Honorary Master
ok .. just for you :) :
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dd04faf0-1452-11e3-9289-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2dpSdE9FE

also : http://www.wpcentral.com/stephen-elop-now-internal-candidate-microsoft-ceo

also : http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2335616

see android market share of close to 70%, while samsung has 22% market share . Nokia still up there with 19%, but I presume its of low-end phones.

Happy now :)
And once again, not a single fact relating to demand for Android on Nokia devices or Elop being a "mole"

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Not what I see in these posts. I don't think it can be disputed that Nokia's handsets are of an extremely good quality. The way down bottom end perhaps, but looking at the mid and upper class phones, they surely are still as good as it always was.
Damn!!! Nothing was as good holding a well "crafted" Nokia handset,pity about the OS direction.:crying:
See....

Nobody wants the rubbish phones they make because they run Windows Phone... :)

I agree though, most people do see them as well made phones, but it just seems to be the fanbois who want them to run Android.... I've played with WP and I think its a lovely OS.. and I'm tempted to go back to it with my next phone.