Nokia will sell mobile phone unit to Microsoft for 5.44 billion euros

lucifir

Expert Member
And once again, not a single fact relating to demand for Android on Nokia devices or Elop being a "mole"
Wow.. just Wow !!

The gartner report shows you that its not only samsung that is scoring on android, so nokia(like the rest) would gain with a line of android devices, as the android market share is 70%.

As for Elop being a mole .... really!! How hard is it to draw that conclusion?? the article shows that he took over and the company tanked even more, while he still chose to dump the nokia OS for WP, which has not really seen any change in their fortunes.

Dude, I give up ... you probably think nkandla is a conspiracy as well :)

JStrike

Honorary Master
Wow.. just Wow !!

The gartner report shows you that its not only samsung that is scoring on android, so nokia(like the rest) would gain with a line of android devices, as the android market share is 70%.

As for Elop being a mole .... really!! How hard is it to draw that conclusion?? the article shows that he took over and the company tanked even more, while he still chose to dump the nokia OS for WP, which has not really seen any change in their fortunes.

Dude, I give up ... you probably think nkandla is a conspiracy as well :)
The report most certainly does not say that. The report is clearly broken up between mobile phones and smartphones. You seem to be cherry picking data from both datasets to support your conspiracy theory. Android sales are almost entirely dominated by Samsung to the detriment of of all other OEM's.

And once again, regarding Elop being a "mole", correlation does not equal causation.

Last edited:
K

kingrob

Time to buy a Nokia phone, just for pure nostalgia.

I'm SO getting a Nokia 515!!

siraman

Expert Member
I've played with WP and I think its a lovely OS.. and I'm tempted to go back to it with my next phone.
And i'd love to see it succeed purely from a integrated ecosystem point of view(PC/laptop,Tablet,Phone & Xbox for my household).

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Nokia: Dethroned Mobile Phone Giant

The Nokia story is one of an astonishing rise and a calamitous fall.

The Finnish company that began in 1865 as a paper manufacturer and made the transition to rubber boots and car tyres became by the late 1990s the dominant global player in the manufacture of mobile phones.

The sale of its mobile unit to Microsoft means that Nokia has abandoned the market that the company once indelibly set its mark on.

The worldwide spread of the GSM mobile network laid the cornerstone for Nokia's success. The first call over the digital GSM network was made with Nokia equipment in 1991, and Nokia's first GSM mobile followed the next year.

By 1998 Nokia had pushed the originator of the mobile phone, US company Motorola, from the top position in the market. At the time the sale of 37.4 million phones a year translated into a market share of 22.9 per cent.

A long period of Nokia dominance had begun. The mobile phone market grew year by year, and a third of those phones were Nokias.

The Finns also dominated the tiny smartphone market at the beginning with their Symbian system, achieving market shares above 50 per cent.

Then came the iPhone.

Nokia managers initially dismissed the challenge from the Apple mobile, given the huge difference in sales. But the iPhone, and later Google's Android operating system, revolutionized the market.

Touchscreens and apps were the new trend, and Nokia was left behind. Its decision to switch from Symbian to Microsoft's Windows Phone at the start of 2011 was a sign of desperation.

And at the beginning of 2012 Samsung pushed the Finns from the top spot after 14 years.

Source : Sapa-dpa /sdv
Date : 03 Sep 2013 15:34

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And i'd love to see it succeed purely from a integrated ecosystem point of view(PC/laptop,Tablet,Phone & Xbox for my household).
Precisely.....

I've got my eye on a nice Win8 tablet/laptop combo.. and it would be great to have a WinPhone to go with it actually...

IF MS can get the ecosystem right, it will be killer in my opinion.

Syphonx

Expert Member
What "huge demand" for android on on Nokia devices? Or are you somehow confusing some fanboys desire with actual market research? If they had gone with Android, they feared they would end up like HTC has ended up. And those fears appear to have been well founded.
Ad for "Elop" being a mole, don't make the basic mistake of confusing correlation with causation. Your tin-foil hat is cutting of your blood circulation.
End up like HTC? who still make a profit, as opposed to nokia who made losses quarter after quarter. Point is even though nokia has a near monopoly in the windows phone market it cannot turn a profit. There is no way that choosing to with an OS that has 75% + market share could be worse than choosing the one with 4% market share.

And it really is obvious that elop was a mole, he went from MS to CEO at nokia, he chose windows OS over better in house OS's and android with its huge marketshare. He basically destroyed Nokia to make it easy for MS to purchase it and will now probably be rewarded with the MS CEO position.

siraman

Expert Member
The Nokia story is one of an astonishing rise and a calamitous fall.

The Finnish company that began in 1865 as a paper manufacturer and made the transition to rubber boots and car tyres became by the late 1990s the dominant global player in the manufacture of mobile phones.

The sale of its mobile unit to Microsoft means that Nokia has abandoned the market that the company once indelibly set its mark on.

The worldwide spread of the GSM mobile network laid the cornerstone for Nokia's success. The first call over the digital GSM network was made with Nokia equipment in 1991, and Nokia's first GSM mobile followed the next year.

By 1998 Nokia had pushed the originator of the mobile phone, US company Motorola, from the top position in the market. At the time the sale of 37.4 million phones a year translated into a market share of 22.9 per cent.

A long period of Nokia dominance had begun. The mobile phone market grew year by year, and a third of those phones were Nokias.

The Finns also dominated the tiny smartphone market at the beginning with their Symbian system, achieving market shares above 50 per cent.

Then came the iPhone.

Nokia managers initially dismissed the challenge from the Apple mobile, given the huge difference in sales. But the iPhone, and later Google's Android operating system, revolutionized the market.

Touchscreens and apps were the new trend, and Nokia was left behind. Its decision to switch from Symbian to Microsoft's Windows Phone at the start of 2011 was a sign of desperation.

And at the beginning of 2012 Samsung pushed the Finns from the top spot after 14 years.

Source : Sapa-dpa /sdv
Date : 03 Sep 2013 15:34
OFF TOPIC: :(I would love to see a news article like this about Telkom.:D

JStrike

Honorary Master
End up like HTC? who still make a profit, as opposed to nokia who made losses quarter after quarter. Point is even though nokia has a near monopoly in the windows phone market it cannot turn a profit. There is no way that choosing to with an OS that has 75% + market share could be worse than choosing the one with 4% market share.
Of course it can. Stating there is no way doesn't make it so. Whichever OS helps create a Lumia that differentiates it from it's competitors is what is best for them.
WP taking off would have resulted in them being the Samsung of the WP world. Obviously that hasn't panned out, but it was a far better target than resigning themselves to being just another android OEM like HTC, LG, Sony et al

And it really is obvious that elop was a mole, he went from MS to CEO at nokia, he chose windows OS over better in house OS's and android with its huge marketshare. He basically destroyed Nokia to make it easy for MS to purchase it and will now probably be rewarded with the MS CEO position.
Base speculation and once again, don't confuse correlation with causation!

Last edited:

siraman

Expert Member
There is no way that choosing to with an OS that has 75% + market share could be worse than choosing the one with 4% market share.
Classic case of a dominant/"monopolistic" company that fell asleep at the wheel.To quote from Garyvdh post...

Classic!!...and the praying kind please do pray that this befalls Telkom.:D

LinuxMan

Expert Member
This whole post has been an interesting read on all the different opinions.. Let's see what MS pull out of the hat now :D

K

kingrob

I reckon Microsoft got scared that Nokia might start selling Android phones and dump Windows Phone completely.

Now we will never know what could have been.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I reckon Microsoft got scared that Nokia might start selling Android phones and dump Windows Phone completely.

Now we will never know what could have been.
My suspicion is that it was more Nokia getting scared that Samsung would start getting into WP in a bigger way after the rationalisation of the Ativ brand. Which could have resulted in Nokia losing their differentiation. But that is just idle speculation on my part

Syphonx

Expert Member
Of course it can. Stating there is no way doesn't make it so. Whichever OS helps create a Lumia that differentiates it from it's competitors is what is best for them.
WP taking off would have resulted in them being the Samsung of the WP world. Obviously that hasn't panned out, but it was a far better target than resigning themselves to being just another android OEM like HTC, LG, Sony et al
What nonsense, there is no differentiation with WP, all manufacturers have to use the same exact stock OS and skin. With android they could have made a phone that looks exactly like metro if they so wished or any other design they could possibly have come up with. If WP had swopped places with android then nokia would be just be another OEM, no software customisation, no unique skin or anything noteworthy. On WP you can only offer what MS allows and all the phones would look exactly the same.

Forgot to add that all those andoid OEMs are doing much better than Nokia is.

Last edited: