Nokia will sell mobile phone unit to Microsoft for 5.44 billion euros

JStrike

Honorary Master
What nonsense, there is no differentiation with WP, all manufacturers have to use the same exact stock OS and skin. With android they could have made a phone that looks exactly like metro if they so wished or any other design they could possibly have come up with. If WP had swopped places with android then nokia would be just be another OEM, no software customisation, no unique skin or anything noteworthy. On WP you can only offer what MS allows and all the phones would look exactly the same.
The differentiation is that their whole widget is different to their competitors. It's an area they had to dominate and grow, just like Samsung did with Android. Obviously this hasn't worked quite as well for them.

Syphonx

Expert Member
The differentiation is that their whole widget is different to their competitors. It's an area they had to dominate and grow, just like Samsung did with Android. Obviously this hasn't worked quite as well for them.
It didn't work because they thought they could rely on just using widgets, a smartphone needs a notification centre, otherwise its useless.

grim

Expert Member
It didn't work because they thought they could rely on just using widgets, a smartphone needs a notification centre, otherwise its useless.

Yeah, just pin your live tiles to your home screen and you can see all your apps with notifications without having to go into a separate notification center.

Having said that a notification center is coming to WP either in GDR3 or 8.1

Arthur

Honorary Master
this was the plan all along for MS. we all knew Elop was a mole...This was probably his reward for tanking nokia
So the Nokia board that recruited Elop didn't know what they were doing? Microsoft could just plant someone as a CEO in a foreign company? My, my. What an astonishing world you live in, mate. Ever been a boardroom? If anything, the reverse is more likely to be true: the Nokia board knew MS had $100 billion in cash, and they'd be able to tap into the stash to salvage any value from a business in very steep decline long before Elop went for his first job interview at the Nokia board. Ever thought that Microsoft could well be the real target here, by smart Finns who saw the writing on the wall?

Soon you will see no more Nokia devices.
Unlikely. The Nokia brand has real value. And MS gets to use the brand for ten years, renewable.

Nokia will boom again IF they decide to have android devices
No they won't. They'll disappear and be eaten by Samsung, who can out-manufacture them anytime. To survive, they need to differentiate from Samsung, and running Android just doesn't do it. Not by a long chalk.

Had they gotten onto the android bandwagon, they may have gone back to form, due to the demand for android phones.
There is only a miniscule demand for Android phones; there is a huge demand for phones that happen to run Android now. Subtle but critical difference. Remember the PC? Remember Windows? There was a huge demand for PCs that happen to run Windows, but the demand ..., etc, etc. MS knows that very well, by the way. Has for years.

As for Elop being a mole .... really!! How hard is it to draw that conclusion??
You answer your own question. But you know nothing of how Elop was recruited by Nokia, nor why. He didn't take it over - he was recruited by the Nokia Board to turn around a failing business that had lost its focus. The Board decided the strategy. It was his job to execute it.

There is no way that choosing to with an OS that has 75% + market share could be worse than choosing the one with 4% market share.

And it really is obvious that elop was a mole, he went from MS to CEO at nokia
Hoo boy. Anybody know why TV sucks?

I reckon Microsoft got scared that Nokia might start selling Android phones and dump Windows Phone completely.

Now we will never know what could have been.
I don't think so. The Nokia board debated Android intensely - and they decided, not Elop. MS make more off Android than Google does. And probably more than off WP at this stage.

On WP you can only offer what MS allows and all the phones would look exactly the same.
Substitute WP with iOS/iPhone and test your statement again. But can you explain why Apple had such spectacular growth and share with a closed one-size-fits-all OS/device? Methinks there's quite a bit more to market and share than that.

Last edited:

JStrike

Honorary Master
Huh? I think you misunderstood me. A widget refers to the entirety of the product, both hardware, software and everything in-between. It is something that Apple have always been big on, Google is moving towards and MS is heading there now as well.

Viva

Expert Member
I wonder if/how much better Nokia would be doing today if they switched to Android in 2008. I can't help but come to the conclusion that they would have a nice piece of high-end smartphone market share.

Mouse

Expert Member
I wonder if/how much better Nokia would be doing today if they switched to Android in 2008. I can't help but come to the conclusion that they would have a nice piece of high-end smartphone market share.
I would have bought one as well.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Possibly. But most likely they would have ended up like HTC and Sony

Viva

Expert Member
Possibly. But most likely they would have ended up like HTC and Sony
That was my thoughts exactly. Is it not better being like Sony or HTC?

I just came across this explanation for why this sale is actually quite insignificant:

BTNhZWiCUAA4bod.png

Found here

Last edited:

Crowley

Executive Member
And once again, not a single fact relating to demand for Android on Nokia devices or Elop being a "mole"
You guys misunderstand JStrike.

If MS made cheap Asha Android phones they would compete directly with Apple's cheaper iPhone. This would be a tragedy for the cult of mac followers.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Singapore-based Newkia wants to bring Nokia back

Fans of Nokia phones who wonder what could have been if the company embraced Android may get an answer from a new company called Newkia. Started on the day Microsoft acquired Nokia's device business, Singapore-based Newkia was founded by Thomas Zilliacus, who worked for 15 years at Nokia, where he was the Finnish company's Asia-Pacific CEO for seven years.

Currently leading investment company Mobile FutureWorks, which he founded, Zilliacus actually tried to buy out Nokia a year ago. Speaking to ZDNet, he revealed how he wasn't able to raise enough funds to do so.

To fulfil his vision of making a Nokia-like Android phone, he plans to hire Nokia employees who have expressed interest in developing for Android. He already has some ex-staff on board, and wants to hire more. "What Newkia wants to do is to use Nokia know-how, technology, and design to build the world's best smartphones, but running on Android," he said.

In the interview, he noted how Nokia missed opportunities because it was arrogant, due to its dominant position in the market at that time. He gave as an example a Nokia prototype that looked like the iPhone, developed four years before the first Apple iPhone. This product was never launched because the company thought the market wouldn't be interested -- he still has this prototype in his drawer.

Newkia wants to launch its first phone within a year, though that will be dependent on funds raised and the employees it is able to hire.

Even though Zilliacus plans to have his R&D team in Finland, the company will be based in Singapore and devices will be targeted at the Asia audience. However, he does not rule out launching products in the U.S. as well.

Zilliacus adds that Newkia "can offer consumers what can be new, exciting, and different". It'll be interesting to see what the company can come up with, since there is now no lack of Asia-focused companies making high-quality, low-cost Android phones. Just getting the Nokia build quality and design would be a great start -- I'm sure a phone that feels like the Nokia N9 (or Lumia 800) with Android installed would be a tantalizing proposition for smartphone lovers.
Source: http://asia.cnet.com/singapore-based-newkia-wants-to-bring-nokia-back-62222296.htm

Polymathic

Honorary Master
How is Nokia worth more than Blackberry? Reports saying BB is go for a price $5.5 billion

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
How is Nokia worth more than Blackberry? Reports saying BB is go for a price $5.5 billion
Once BBM is available on all mobile platforms there will be no reason to get a Blackberry. And Blackberries sell like crap in most places. Most of the value is probably just patents.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Revenue €30.176 billion (2012)[2]
Operating income € -2.303 billion (2012)[2]
Net income € -3.106 billion (2012)[2]
Total assets €29.949 billion (2012)[2]
Total equity €8.061 billion (2012)[2]
Employees 97,798 (2012)[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia

Revenue US$ 11.073 billion (2013)[1]
Operating income US$ -1.235 billion (2013)[1]
Net income US$ -646 million (2013)[1]
Total assets US$ 13.165 billion (2013)[1]
Total equity US$ 9.460 billion (2013)[1]
Employees 12,700 (Mar 2013)[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Ltd

The awnser is in the numbers I guess :D

Ps: 1 US Dollar equals 0.76 Euro

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
You guys misunderstand JStrike.

If MS made cheap Asha Android phones they would compete directly with Apple's cheaper iPhone. This would be a tragedy for the cult of mac followers.
You're right because it's not like there's already a boatload of competing cheap Android phones.