• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Noob question .... 3G possible on a LTE contract?

Roamer

Hi there,

My work requires me to be close to the internet 24/7 just in case of an emergency. I also do a bit of traveling, to some places that definitely would not have LTE but 3G is available.
For years I have used a portable TPLink 3G Hotspot router, which has served me well, and is still going.
I get 3GB on that with MTN and have been happy with the coverage.

I see there are mobile LTE hotspots like the D-Link DWR‑932.
If I decide to upgrade to LTE I will get (a heck of a lot) more data for the same price I am paying now, but will certain providers allow the router to use 3G in a non-LTE area, or am I locked into LTE only?
I assume if this is possible it would have to be through one of the big three cell providers.

Many thanks!

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Yes.

In our case I used the R50 for 500Gb telkom data bundle on a 3G network. Also, LTE data flows most happily on a 3G connection.

Work phone is LTE-enabled, yet is happy with a 3G signal at home. Work have LTE coverage.

YMMV though :)

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Not aware of any operator locking you to LTE only if 3G is offered by their network. Only operator that does not have 3G on their network that I know of is Rain. Other networks, soon as there is no LTE then the device will fall back to 3G.

Zuner

Expert Member
Yes.

In our case I used the R50 for 500Gb telkom data bundle on a 3G network. Also, LTE data flows most happily on a 3G connection.

Work phone is LTE-enabled, yet is happy with a 3G signal at home. Work have LTE coverage.

YMMV though :)
i always thought it was LTE locked, never needed to use 3g though.

Not aware of any operator locking you to LTE only if 3G is offered by their network. Only operator that does not have 3G on their network that I know of is Rain. Other networks, soon as there is no LTE then the device will fall back to 3G.
Well for fixed LTE does it not lock you to lte, I've been wanting to get cellc fixed lte, but the area has weak lte signal but decent 3g, though i'm under the impression that its LTE Locked.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
i always thought it was LTE locked, never needed to use 3g though.

Well for fixed LTE does it not lock you to lte, I've been wanting to get cellc fixed lte, but the area has weak lte signal but decent 3g, though i'm under the impression that its LTE Locked.
Perhaps Cell C locks it. Not sure but for me that would be a silly thing to do. I know Vodacom locked the routers to LTE for their fixed LTE solution when it first launched, but after a while decided to enable 3G fallback.

Zuner

Expert Member
Good day gents, I have a Huawei B696 3G HSPA router. Not LTE compatible. Will it be possible to connect to the network using this router, at the lower 3G speed? Or does is work strictly on LTE only?

Many thanks
lte only, no failback to 3G
From the Cell-C / IS "fixed" LTE Thread.

Roamer

Original OP here ... Thanks to you all for the advice, and looks like it was not such a noob question after all. ;-)
Looks like you can on Vodacom, CellC probably not on their fixed service, and not sure on MTN.