Not an SA citizen? Not a problem, buy an ID book

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Never got around to getting an ID book - price seems reasonable esp if you dont want to spend all day queuing. :p

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Home Affairs in this country really is a joke. Looks like most of the fake IDs have been put through the home affairs system as well so they're probably almost impossible to detect as fake as well.

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
LOL

The irony they run away from their own country then come to south africa shouting with south africans how they love old bob

derekc

Expert Member
Saw that on SABC last night. pretty sad system this country runs. The officials watch the show and probably still deny that home affairs is corrupt.

KillerX

Expert Member
It doesnt surprise me. Home affairs, like EVERY OTHER goverment run deparmtment is corrupt beyong belief in this country. And it is the same throughout Africa - they are all there to line their pockets.

After seeing that, it makes me wonder how many hundreds of thousands of illegals we have here - that pay R800 and then become SA citizens, and can leech off our country.

surface

Executive Member
It doesnt surprise me. Home affairs, like EVERY OTHER goverment run deparmtment is corrupt beyong belief in this country. And it is the same throughout Africa - they are all there to line their pockets.

After seeing that, it makes me wonder how many hundreds of thousands of illegals we have here - that pay R800 and then become SA citizens, and can leech off our country.
Now, in retrospect, was I such a stupid fool to have waited for 5 years on a work permit so that I could apply for a PR? I wonder now.

:rolleyes:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Now, in retrospect, was I such a stupid fool to have waited for 5 years on a work permit so that I could apply for a PR? I wonder now.

:rolleyes:
You had to wait 5 years? Got mine, eventually, after 2-3.

mac_mac74

Expert Member
i wonder if anyone has a contact that can organise me a Canadian Passport, i drove around Sea Point and a couple Nigerians told me they are all out of stock , seems like they are moving like hotcakes - i wonder why.

kaspaas

Expert Member
Spoke this morning in the office about the hassles to get a legal passport. Some guys need a new passport about each year.

R600 is zilch compared to the time the idiots at home affairs waste - queueing hours - half the stalls closed - please come again tomorrow, the computers are broken, please come and queue in 6 weeks time again to collect.

On the street it seems to take a few minutes with next day delivery.

It is tempting!

surface

Executive Member
You had to wait 5 years? Got mine, eventually, after 2-3.
No, no you get PR after max. 2 years as a process but to be eligible for a PR, one of the ways is 'to work 5 years on a work permit' and then apply. At least, that was my understanding back then.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No, no you get PR after max. 2 years as a process but to be eligible for a PR, one of the ways is 'to work 5 years on a work permit' and then apply. At least, that was my understanding back then.
They suggested I stop re-applying for my work permit after two years and told me I could apply for PR. So I did.

surface

Executive Member
They suggested I stop re-applying for my work permit after two years and told me I could apply for PR. So I did.
Lucky you! But PR process seems to be stagnated in last 2 years as some of my ex-colleagues are still waiting and they had applied back in 2004, some cog in the wheel somewhere.

On another note of comparison, situation in some govt. departments back in India is scaringly similar to that of here, I feel very much at home. :D

dlk001

Executive Member
Actually, when I was classified as a Ciskie citizen, I had to pay an East London home affairs official (1989) to get an ID Book which was the only means I could study at UCT. R25 is what I paid then. I wonder whether that would classify me as an illegal South African.

cyberarmy

Expert Member
Got my ID but only meet requirements to natrualize as SA citizen next year.....

cyberarmy

Expert Member
What are the requirements - and do you really want to?
You need to obtain your PR for five years before you can natrualise, and althouth SA allow dual citizenship but not where I came from so I will have to forfeit and get SA citizenship if I decided. But the best part is if one day I would no longer want to be SA citizen and decide to go back, I just need to forfeit my SA citizenship and my original citizenship is automatically re-instated.....

vespax

Expert Member
I'll hold onto my little blue book over the green thing. Just in case....