• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Not enough time for us to comply with new data rollover rules – Mobile networks

rakabos3

Executive Member
Ive worked on systems from all these companies.

Cell C can implemement and test this in 5 days or so if they wanted to. There is an army of engineers on-site and in China.

So yeah, not gonna believe that they cant do it in 30 days.

MTN and Vodacom have slightly more cumbersome and monolithic systems, they may need more time. But again, if they wanted to they can re-prioritse stuff.

ambroseg1

Executive Member

Cell C can implemement and test this in 5 days or so if they wanted to. There is an army of engineers on-site and in China.

MTN and Vodacom have slightly more cumbersome and monolithic systems, they may need more time. But again, if they wanted to they can re-prioritse stuff.
preaching to the choir. EVERYBODY knows they can get it done if they wanted to. Quite easily.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Not enough time for us to comply with new data rollover rules – Mobile networks

:crylaugh:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
This is good - make them hurry up to get these changes implemented. We've been way to lenient to these ISPs for far too long. It'll set a precedent for future deadlines etc.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Vodacom probably needs 8 years of internal testing before rolling out (you know like the OOB shark).

phex

My crystal ball tells me that someone is taking ICASA to court very soon before the deadline.

Vice

Expert Member
If they were to increase prices, it would be done overnight :wtf: How long did the hard coding of VAT take to raise to 15% :confused: So there's clearly no willingness to comply :sick:

Last edited:

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
My crystal ball tells me that someone is taking ICASA to court very soon before the deadline.
it may be

from what i can see the request for more time is reasonable, ICASA's regs in places not so much. on the fixed ISP side - which this also covers - there is significant dev work to be done

Praeses

Expert Member
So I take it that it's not as simple as just changing the value of 30 days to something like 365 then? :eek:

DXL

My Thoughts exactly........

If they were to increase prices, it would be done overnight :wtf: How long did the hard coding of VAT take to raise to 15% :confused: So there's clearly no willingness to comply :sick:
When it goes against you theres all sorts of issues to deal with. But when its for you all that is required is 24 Hours. Do these CEO's not think and make statements. Billing is electronic and digital. Yes off course variables have to be defined but not 30 days to do that.

Every day these guys make statements that confirm to us they know nothing.

Shameel was quite conservative in his statements he is learning slowly.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

The deeper problem is rather on the billing side not so much the tracking of usage which is pretty simple to change.

There is confirmation testing to be done after consultation from third parties and scripting changes etc.

Most of it being outsourced also causes some delay.

That being said it's not like they didn't see this coming so it is still a lot of bull****.

DXL

So I take it that it's not as simple as just changing the value of 30 days to something like 365 then? :eek:
It is but there are variables too.
Notification notices on usage is already in play by MTN and Telkom.

/dev/null

Problem is that they have never stated that it's a technological problem/difficulty, they've instead used other useless reasons to cover their inability to innovate. Now they are stuck.

system32

Expert Member
From previous article:
ICASA said the new regulations would require operators to allow subscribers to
1) roll over unused data, or
2) transfer it to another user on the same network.

It also said operators would
3) no longer be allowed to charge out-of-bundle tariffs without first obtaining subscriber consent.
I understand (3)

Example:
I have a 2GB which expires in 30 days
At day 29, I have 1GB left.

How does ICASA expect (1) to work.

EDIT:
Does the roll over provision relate only to post-paid users and does not apply to prepaid users or to hybrid users?

Last edited: