Not Receiving SMSs to Vodacom Number (from outside SA) ???

Jola

Honorary Master
I have a problem in that messages sent to my phone from a European bank (pin message) simply does not arrive.

The banks definitely uses the correct phone number but it just does not go through.

The bank says that I must talk to my mobile ISP.

But Vodacom has been completely useless, they just close the case every time that I open it, no comment and no action.

What now ?

As it happens a friend is having the same problem from Stanbic Botswana, the SMS (also pin) just does not arrive, and this happens when sent to either a Vodacom number or an Orange Botswana number.

As it happens, both of these banks recently had software upgrades, but I don't know the details of that.

Any suggestions ???

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Routing is buggered along the way, or they don’t have agreements in place between the origin and destination.

Ultimately is a Vodacom problem assuming the bank’s systems are working for others as one would expect they do.

Jola

Honorary Master
Thanks, I thought that it was something like that.

But Vodacom refuse to do anything, so now what ?

Neither of the banks involved provide the option of sending a pin via e-mail.

calypso

Expert Member
This issue sounds like its more on the bank's side. I get plenty of international OTP's from various companies without issue (to my Vodacom SIM)

Oxymoron

I have a problem in that messages sent to my phone from a European bank (pin message) simply does not arrive.

The banks definitely uses the correct phone number but it just does not go through.

The bank says that I must talk to my mobile ISP.

But Vodacom has been completely useless, they just close the case every time that I open it, no comment and no action.

What now ?

As it happens a friend is having the same problem from Stanbic Botswana, the SMS (also pin) just does not arrive, and this happens when sent to either a Vodacom number or an Orange Botswana number.

As it happens, both of these banks recently had software upgrades, but I don't know the details of that.

Any suggestions ???
I wasn’t aware Stanbic let OTP’s be sent to an international number, that’s good to know though.

As for Orange, their network is finicky sometimes. Try send a message to a local number right before you request the OTP, to ‘wake it up’

Louis7

I am having the same problem. I ported my number from MTN because of this issue and now I find that Vodacom has the same problem. Does anybody have a solution? It makes it impossible to do internet banking on a foreign bank account.

Juzz Wuzz

I was just looking to see and I also cannot get SMS. But from anybody, even my friends locally trying. OTP's are a problem and yeah wtf...

Jetty

I had the same problem with receiving SMS's from a European bank.

The bank checked with their message provider and they said Vodacom was blocking the messages due to a overzealous spam filter.

Vodacom pretty much blamed everyone else except themselves - Blamed my phone , blamed the bank, said my settings must be wrong .

After a week of many useless calls and getting nowhere , I changed my number at the bank to a cell c number and the messages come through fine now.