Novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Updates & Discussion 2

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
They ****ed up big time.

And then everyone decided, let's **** up some more. The UK is probably still getting people flying in from Spain without even cursory checks.

Reason: China didn't tell us 2 months ago
Flights are still taking off at Charles De Gaulle and Frankfurt. Not just Heathrow. But yeah actually like SA's approach to this by shutting down all flights. Really not a fan of the apparent lax attitude at Heathrow.

Alan

Honorary Master
Yup. Read this today. They know the liberal left's weak point is being of accused of racism so they have weaponised this and as usual the SJWs have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Notice how little criticism there is of China in the MSM.

buka001

Executive Member
Flights are still taking off at Charles De Gaulle and Frankfurt. Not just Heathrow. But yeah actually like SA's approach to this by shutting down all flights. Really not a fan of the apparent lax attitude at Heathrow.
I fully agree that China f**ked up royally.

But that does not absolve other countries for their delayed reactions and missteps either.,

[)roi(]

Executive Member
At the time when China was not reporting this fine, I agree.

China cannot be held 100% responsible for this.
What did countries do when Wuhan went into lock down... Nothing but say "it's just the flu".
Well what do expect the world to do when China was not permitting WHO or CDCs into Wuhan...., and do you just willy-nilly ignore that they tried under threat of imprisonment to hide it during November / December last year, ... and do you ignore that they convinced the WHO to communicate that there was no human to human transmissions, etc.... (I could go on... many more examples)

The self swabbing test is not going to stop the masses of people requiring hospitilization.
Was that ever its reported purposed -- who said that? certainly wasn't me!

The purpose is to reduce the turn around time between tests;
To avoid cross contamination between consecutive tests the test personal are require to replace all protective clothing after each test, and that significantly slows down the rate of testing and significantly increases the amount of protective gear required (e.g. full "space suit", face shield, mask, gloves, etc).

A self swab in comparison reduces the cross contamination because the patient takes their own swab and seals the container; which means that the medical staff are only required to change minimal protective gear between each test e.g. gloves during each test as opposed to all the gear. Hence its now possible to do drive through testing.

More so the test has been significantly improved over that of the WHO test in that it takes only 45 minutes to ascertain if the person has covid-19; current WHO test takes a few days.

Once the medical system is completely overwhelmed (Italy, Spain and soon USA, UK) the CFR explodes.

The number of deaths will not decrease, only the percentage and can you honestly stand by and say let them die?
Wow so you're the doomsayer here; on what basis do you draw these wild conclusions; are you using the mortality ratio of 10% from Italy, or the 1.3% from South Korea, or the 1.5% from USA, ....?

Oh and do you also simply dismiss the vast discrepancy in these ratios? i.e. the reason why an antibody test has been developed. The antibody test btw is also being developed to allow people to self administer their own tests at home.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Any Chinese people here? It would be interesting to hear their views on China's role in all of this.

nivek

Executive Member
Any Chinese people here? It would be interesting to hear their views on China's role in all of this.
Ideally Chinese people living in China, but doubt they'd be willing to risk jailtime commenting and thats if MyBB is even allowed

[)roi(]

Executive Member
you DON'T explain it by making multiple completely unproven assumptions to cook the numbers lower

the academic your post referred to ASSUMED that a very high % of total populations are already infected, just not detected, and based off that unproven assumption, the death rate is now compared to a much larger base and is much lower as a result

absolutely f-all more credible than just assuming the death rate over the base of closed cases is a true reflection, both make assumptions, both are equally valid/invalid
First off I guess you missed the fact that its an opinion; but one which is based on some facts i
e.g. that that an overwhelming majority never end up in hospital and many never develop any significant symptoms yet they test positive for covid-19. More so that they have developed a test and have a plan to validate the assumption i.e. following the scientific method.

...but I guess when you're on a doomsday wagon, you don't want a little thing like discrepancies to get in the way.

garp

Executive Member
This, in my opinion, is China's Chernobyl.
If nothing else, it will hurt their manufacturing, export market immensely over time. The world will now price more risk into their costing - so yes, you can make something in China for 10c vs 20c in your home market, but the risk of disrupted supply chains etc plus the negative perception of goods from China will be worth the other 10c.

Milano

Honorary Master
Pathetic. You all know "you can't trust China". But you believed everything they said, bought everything you could from them at the lowest possible prices until entirely dependent, then your own governments delayed implementing measures even after they knew the full extent - and now you shoulder zero responsibility. Like a bunch of smokers suing tobacco companies. Where is the outrage at the US for the forever chemicals in your blood poisoning your system right now?

vxv

But not everywhere, which is very strange. The UK has, at this point, 163 serious/critical patients (out of active cases 8929). That is hardly going to overrun their hospitals - obviously this might change. But there is a pattern of some countries having very low critical cases, vs others having extremely high. Germany, with 35733 cases has only 23 critical/serious cases! Yet Italy has 3489 critical/serious cases out of 57521 active. Something is not making sense here. I know there are variations in demographics, but are they really that extreme between Italy and Germany? It's like some part of the puzzle is missing - like perhaps there are two strains - one mild and one much more virulent.

View attachment 807101

vxv