Novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Updates & Discussion 2

buka001

Executive Member

So the whole Imperial college document was off? The document most people were basing doomsday on.
So the Oxford study could be closer to the truth

No.

He is still saying had the measures they adopted not been taken the deaths would be in the ranges he predicted, but since the UK has done it, his model allows for that and naturally the figures will fall.

Time will tell though if it was correct.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
This is quite an interesting graph that's a bit different. It incorporates the amount of time different countries had to come up with a response.

Temujin

Executive Member
View attachment 807357

And they surge ahead already
Wow, and they've now hit 100k tests in a day(and 60k pending, so call it 150k+ swabs in last 24hrs)

And just looking at that,
13% hospitalized
1.4% CFR - this number is gonna tank world wide(currently around 4.5%) with the number of tests they're pump out

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Wow, and they've now hit 100k tests in a day(and 60k pending, so call it 150k+ swabs in last 24hrs)

13% hospitalized
1.4% CFR - this number is gonna tank world wide(currently around 4.5%) with the number of tests they're pump out
There was a massive jump in pending cases between the 25th and 26th. What happened there?

Temujin

Executive Member
There was a massive jump in pending cases between the 25th and 26th. What happened there?
My assumption would be just results not submitted yet when page updated... or they've peaked at their ability to process the swabs at around 100k/day and need more labs? will see in morning if number updates

krycor

Honorary Master

13% hospitalized
While I have little doubt SA could have the most deaths if the virus ran rampant here.. for now I’m wondering if the US death numbers will skyrocket in 2 weeks time. Seems deaths always happen later in the cycle.

krycor

Honorary Master
Now would be the best time to do Google/Apple Street Views as most people are not on the street.. then again.. storefronts would be closed. The eerie pics essential workers are posting look scary

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Politicians are reacting the way politicians do i.e. cover their arses + they love a crisis for the political advantages it affords them. Journalists are reacting the way journalists do i.e. profiting from a crisis and when there's no crisis; they will try to fabricate one, or blow things out of proportion.

I still believe this crisis is not even a tenth as bad as its made out to be, and the blame for that rests squarely on China; who like all despotic governments... do what all despotic governments do.... first tried to hide the problem, and then they blocked access to WHO and CDCs from many countries; etc.

Even the WHO; who by some measures is known to be biased in favour of China's propaganda has said that 99% of the contagion worldwide would have been prevented if China had acted responsibly and permitted early access to WHO and CDCs.

More data from antibody tests and the 45 minute self swabbing live virus tests is hopefully going to resolve this once and for all, so that the pending economic crisis can be averted -- because by any reckoning far more people will be adversely affected (mass unemployment, bankruptcies, suicides, ...) by a worldwide economic crisis than a covid-19 one.
WHO praises China for being totally upfront and honest about the epidemic after they had admitted to having the outbreak omitting the fact that before that they tried to suppress any information about the outbreak for about a month

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The two-strain theory started about 2 months ago. One presents with milder symptoms that clear up after a few days of bed rest. The other puts you in ICU or the grave. People are only testing positive for "COVID-19", though, not A or B.

On the UK front, reports late last night showed that social distancing measures may actually do the trick, as for the first time there wasn't an increase in the number of cases/deaths over the previous day. Of course, one still has to question the accuracy of information coming in. But it's still positive.
There are two known distinct strains with genetic differences but nothing is concretely known whether the strains show any difference in terms of symptoms or lethality

[)roi(]

Executive Member
There are two known distinct strains with genetic differences but nothing is concretely known whether the strains show any difference in terms of symptoms or lethality
Do you have an official reference source for this. I've certainly not seen anything from any CDC on this.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Do you have an official reference source for this. I've certainly not seen anything from any CDC on this.

His sentence is so poorly written, its like saying can I have some wet water. Using the description "distinct strains" already implies they're unique, to add "genetic mutations" is just redundant.