Novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary Bark

Forging
SYDNEY - A man showing symptoms of a SARS-like virus after visiting China is being held in isolation at his Australian home, in the country's first suspected case of the coronavirus, public broadcaster ABC reported Tuesday.

The man had recently returned from the central Chinese city of Wuhan, believed to be the epicentre of an outbreak of coronavirus, which has infected a total of 218 people and caused at least four deaths.

He was recovering from a respiratory illness at his home in the northeastern city of Brisbane, where health authorities were awaiting the results of tests to determine whether he had contracted the new virus.

The pathogen has caused alarm because it is from the same family as SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which killed nearly 650 people across mainland China and Hong Kong in 2002-2003.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master

Binary Bark

Forging
The first U.S. case of a new coronavirus has been confirmed
A man in Seattle has been confirmed as the first U.S. case of a novel coronavirus that emerged in central China, where it has killed six people and sickened hundreds more in recent weeks, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Officials are also ramping up health screenings at U.S. airports, after Chinese public health officials said January 20 that the virus can spread from person to person — a factor that raises concerns of an international epidemic emerging.

It’s still unclear how easily the virus spreads between humans. The World Health Organization said it would convene an emergency committee on January 22 in Geneva to decide whether to declare a global health emergency.

“The confirmation that human-to-human spread with this virus is occurring in Asia certainly raises our level of concern,” said Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, during a telephone news conference on January 21. However, the agency believes the risk “to the American public at large remains low at this time.”

Flarsiep

weird. My son was in hospital coulpe of months ago. Whole week on strong antibiotics and stuff. Doctor told us he had the Corona virus. Unless i heard wrong and there is somehting else that causes massive fever, breathing issues and throwing up anyhitng going into the body???

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
weird. My son was in hospital coulpe of months ago. Whole week on strong antibiotics and stuff. Doctor told us he had the Corona virus. Unless i heard wrong and there is somehting else that causes massive fever, breathing issues and throwing up anyhitng going into the body???
Coronavirus refers to a group of viruses sharing similar properties.

R4ziel

Expert Member

I normally get Amstel fever on Saturdays and Sundays which have very similar symptoms which last for a day or so

Lupus

Honorary Master
The flu can do just that as well.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Will be interesting to see if our beloved Government will be able to do anything should this thing surface here. Seeing that it surfaced in America already, it'll only be a matter of time...

Jola

Honorary Master
This new Wuhan Coronavirus looks as if it is going to be a serious problem.

And nobody has any immunity to it.

Remember 100 million people were killed by the Swine Flu in 1918.

In a massive pandemic modern medicine will be of zero value, ICU facilities will be swamped in the first day of an outbreak.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This new Wuhan Coronavirus looks as if it is going to be a serious problem.

And nobody has any immunity to it.

Remember 100 million people were killed by the Swine Flu in 1918.

In a massive pandemic modern medicine will be of zero value, ICU facilities will be swamped in the first day of an outbreak.

Good thing SAA is collapsing then, nobody will be able to travel here so we will be fine.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Seems pretty hectic so I decided to do a bit of twitter reading and now I know even less about what's happening.

flippakitten

Expert Member
From the tweets seems like Wuhan is in some sort of quarintine and they're spraying disinfectant all over the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.