Novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sollie

Executive Member
Are these people concerned about the sweatshop workers dying or for their own well being?
Yes. I'll raise you one tinfoil hat ... ;)

China has a problem with the ratio of old vs younger people. This is due to their one child policy now bearing fruits. Not enough young to care for the old, physically, ito revenue and production.

Norrad

Yes. I'll raise you one tinfoil hat ... ;)

China has a problem with the ratio of old vs younger people. This is due to their one child policy now bearing fruits. Not enough young to care for the old, physically, ito revenue and production.
The one-child policy was only enforced for families registered as living in major cities. I personally have never met a Chinese family with only one child. Most have two or three children. The old policy also allowed a parent who was an only child to have two children. This meant that even if the policy was strictly enforced it didn't mean that families living in cities were limited to having one child.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
The one-child policy was only enforced for families registered as living in major cities. I personally have never met a Chinese family with only one child. Most have two or three children. The old policy also allowed a parent who was an only child to have two children. This meant that even if the policy was strictly enforced it didn't mean that families living in cities were limited to having one child.
Interesting. Thanks.

chrisc

Executive Member
Will the Olympic Games in Japan take place this year?

A friend has already spent R130k on tickets and accommodation, very little is refundable (although that remains to be seen)

His host in Tokyo is hearing stories that large crowds of foreign visitors are a definitely a no-no

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Will the Olympic Games in Japan take place this year?

A friend has already spent R130k on tickets and accommodation, very little is refundable (although that remains to be seen)

His host in Tokyo is hearing stories that large crowds of foreign visitors are a definitely a no-no
Thus far the official line is the Olympics are going ahead as planned

chrisc

Executive Member
Well, the official line a month ago was that "We in Japan welcome guests to our shores". Now it is "have your health certified before you board the flight, and we won't let you in if you transited via Hong Kong".

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Seems the rate of new infections has slowed drastically over the past couple of days...if you believe the official statistics, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.