Novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Kind of like the Spanish Flu wasn't even flu, which is why it took so long to get the correct vaccines, because they kept looking for something that wasn't even there.
Spanish Flu was the flu? It was a very deadly influenza strain.

Norrad

Italy (northern part) is closing down all schools, fitnessclubs, gaybars and musea.
Looks like they are stereotyping a bit there. I would think all bars would be good places for the virus to spread with so many people in close proximity. Sports Bars even more so as everyone is usually shouting and cheering thereby releasing more droplets into the air.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Looks like they are stereotyping a bit there. I would think all bars would be good places for the virus to spread with so many people in close proximity. Sports Bars even more so as everyone is usually shouting and cheering thereby releasing more droplets into the air.
Yeah, but sports bar patrons might be a little less likely to spray droplets into each others' rear orifices round the back of the bar, no?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
It's not the droplets in the air you have to worry about , it's the droplets on the counter, tables, chairs, floor, door handles, card machine and money that will get you.

Norrad

Yeah, but sports bar patrons might be a little less likely to spray droplets into each others' rear orifices round the back of the bar, no?
:ROFL: that might be it. Almost all regular Italian bars are a mens only thing with very few women, so I suppose very little bodily fluid is being transferred in them.
It's not the droplets in the air you have to worry about , it's the droplets on the counter, tables, chairs, floor, door handles, card machine and money that will get you.
Those droplets eventually settle on everything. Including directly into other people's mouths and noses, especially when you are in close proximity to people screaming their lungs out when their team scores a goal or makes a mistake.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Five Reasons You Don't Need to Panic About COVID-19

Every year around 6-700 000 people die from 'flu. Year in and year out. Even if Covid-19 deaths reach 10 000, that'll hardly move the needle. This is a media-driven panic that is deeply overwrought, in my view.

The economic hit is very real, however. It is not caused by Covid-19 but by people's fear of Covid-19, which is not quite the same thing.
This argument only hold true is it remains a few thousand people infected in China.

As soon as it goes global or the effects of the China shut down is felt globally, suddenly there's reason to "panic"

Lupus

Honorary Master
Okay it's not the mortality rate, it's the case fatality rate. Mortality rate is taken over an entire population that can be infected, a case fatality rate is whereby you take the infected and that amount of deaths.

Moto Guzzi

Can scewy scientists drill in old ice and revive old strains of viruses and bacteria we not used to have-?

Status
Not open for further replies.