Novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milano

Honorary Master
It was on some news feed. I receive 14 so will have to scratch

May be related to what you read.. I read something similar in the early morning about him having had an additional infection but it was an erroneous comment made by the WHO in Philippines which when I went back now to check has since been removed, it now says:

Correction: This story has been updated to remove a reference to a tweet from the World Health Organization Philippines, which contained erroneous information on the type of infections the man had.

Moosedrool

Executive Member

Virus connected to racism, who woulda taught dat?

He's probably one of those who pushed for eating bat soup and cockroaches.

Most Asian people doesn't even like this dirt "cultural" food. The reason you have some if these weird stuff in east Asia was because of a historic lack agriculture. It's not their culture to boil a live bat caught in some net and then dumping it into a bowl of soup, skin, fur and all.

This twit is using the new coronavirus to call out people who thinks these eating habits are weird as being racist to virtue his way through social media.

DanDango

Honorary Master
A 'highly pathogenic strain' of H5N1 bird flu has been reported in China's Hunan province

• A "highly pathogenic" strain of the H5N1 avian flu has been reported in China's Hunan province, China's Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs said.
  • According to a report from Reuters 4,500 chickens died on the farm where the outbreak occurred.
  • The government culled nearly 18,000 chickens as a result of the outbreak.
  • Whether a strain of avian flu is deemed "highly pathogenic" relates to its ability to kill chickens, according to USGS.
  • The World Health Organisation says that while human cases of H5N1 can occur, it "does not infect humans easily."
A "highly pathogenic" strain of the H5N1 bird flu has been reported in China's Hunan province, Chinese officials said, according to a Saturday report from Reuters.

The outbreak was reported on a farm in the city of Shaoyang in the Hunan province, according to China's Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs. Of the 7,850 chickens on the farm where the outbreak occurred, 4,500 died of the H5N1 avian flu, Reuters reported.

The Chinese government said it culled 17,828 chickens as a result of the H5N1 outbreak, per Reuters.

Norrad

Expert Member
I flew back from Asia yesterday in a packed aircraft and no one was scanned at OR Tambo, so I don't know exactly what the government is doing to prevent the virus from spreading to SA. Some places in South East Asia were refusing to serve any Chinese or foreign tourists due to fears that we might be carrying it.

DanDango

Honorary Master
Chickens?

Yes chickens, bride flu can transfer for birds to humans.

It's deadly to most birds. And it's deadly to humans and to other mammals that catch the virus from birds. Since the first human case in 1997, H5N1 has killed nearly 60% of the people who have been infected. But unlike human flu bugs, H5N1 bird flu does not spread easily from person to perso

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I flew back from Asia yesterday in a packed aircraft and no one was scanned at OR Tambo, so I don't know exactly what the government is doing to prevent the virus from spreading to SA. Some places in South East Asia were refusing to serve any Chinese or foreign tourists due to fears that we might be carrying it.
Which Asian country? Singapore? Is it on the list of hotspots? Just curious. Are they supposed to scan every incoming flight from Asia?

diapason

Expert Member

Norrad

Expert Member
Which Asian country? Singapore? Is it on the list of hotspots? Just curious. Are they supposed to scan every incoming flight from Asia?
I spent most of my time in Thailand, but flew back from Hong Kong after spending a few days there. Lots of Chinese nationals on the flight taking advantage of their extended holiday as most of their offices on the mainland are closed. After being constantly scanned in Hong Kong, even when going to a Starbucks, I would have assumed there would be some kind of temperature scanning done here in SA on flights heading from that area. But nada was done.

Sollie

Honorary Master
I spent most of my time in Thailand, but flew back from Hong Kong after spending a few days there. Lots of Chinese nationals on the flight taking advantage of their extended holiday as most of their offices on the mainland are closed. After being constantly scanned in Hong Kong, even when going to a Starbucks, I would have assumed there would be some kind of temperature scanning done here in SA on flights heading from that area. But nada was done.
The tender is being drafted for scanners. To be released in March sometime, expected to be allocated another six weeks later.

While I'm joking, I've actually seen emergency procurements handled in such a way where there is only one real importer/supplier on unique items. The importer gets overwhelmed by tenderpreurs who don't have a clue WTH they're looking for.

SDM

When i landed early on Thursday morning from Dubai, there were two people at the gate with hand held temperature scanners, over and above the normal one at the entrance to the passport queue. It doesn't make sense though as they will not pick up anything in the 14 day window.

Status
Not open for further replies.