Novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightjar

Expert Member
I have just received this WhatsApp from a friend in UK.
Badly written, although not a lot worse than that produced by many SA journalists, and fairly accurate in describing the Zim situation. Cannot find it on internet and last line is a red flag but I offer it for what it's worth.

Breaking News
ZIMBABWE HIGH HEALTH RISK - Traveler Beware
(Nations advising their citizens to exercise extreme caution)

With public health are systems in limb mode, travellers to Zimbabwe are advised to exercise extreme caution in view of the current Coronavirus outbreak. The World Health Organization yesterday declared a Worldwide public emergency .... and according to the words of WHO chair, the main reason for the worldwide emergency declaration was not because of whats already happened in China, but the devastating effects this virus could have on nations like Zimbabwe without functioning healthcare systems.

Zimbabwe has recently seen all its major hospitals close due to the debilitating work stoppages by healthcare personnel. The strikes are still ongoing to a large extent and private clinics are overstretched and drugs are in short supply. A visit to Zimbabwe right now could easily be a blind folded walk into hell. Anything can happen.

Chinese visitors from Wuhan to Zimbabwe are merely being recommended to stay at home via social media. The Ministry of Health has not made any public statements and no quarantine arrangements are in place for infected people and frankly no one seems concerned. There is no official policy at all that deals with this looming health crisis.

Chinese double as business owners and Zimbabwe depends on their patronage. Self employed Zimbabwean entrepreneurs also frequent the same Zimbabwe - China route bringing in their wares for business. This coupled with the laxity or absence of Zimbabwean disaster mitigation protocols makes Zimbabwe a ticking health timebomb. Its no longer a question of if there will be an outbreak in Zimbabwe but rather when it will be officially acknowledged.

Many people are still traumatised when Zimbabwe went through the last cholera outbreak in recent memory a few years ago. More than 150,000 deaths during during this awful period could easily be attributed in one way or the other to unhygienic related illnesses. Even today the official human toll has never been publicised but death records from a Harare infectious diseases hospital alone indicate that over 30,000 deaths where directly due to cholera in Harare alone.

While these figures are all unconfirmed, the ZanuPF government in general refuses comment in public for fear of attracting negative publicity. They employ denialist and people that harp the party's tune of choice.

Zimbabwe Government's only existing health protocol provides for the immediate airlifting and evacuation of senior government officials for treatment or recuperation to China, South Africa or a country of their choosing with no expenses spared on the fiscas or the tax payers. But for the ordinary citizens should a natural disaster occur, God forbid, they will be on their own. It will be survival of the fittest, or perhaps a convenient opportunity to weed out an ellectorate disgruntled by its leadership and too eager to witness a changing of the guards.

With the uncontrolled inflax of travellers from Wuhan and China in general, it is now rumored that countries like Zimbabwe could soon be declared Bio Hazard Level 4 from current level 3. Level 4 hazard means Evacuate - Dont Go unless your life depends on it

This is one level short of Level 5, the most Severe Hazard designation which stands for (Disaster Already Underway - Save your life - No Humanitarian Assistance currently available)

With a rapidly developing heath scare situation in the world the following below could save your life and should be seriously considered for survival if you are living in Zimbabwe:

- Individual Homes should stock up on food supplies to last a period of up to 2 weeks, 3 weeks better and stay at home.

- Stay at home and Self Quarantine and Do not move about or go to crowded markets or mix with visitors recently from China or places where the virus is reported to be.

- Stay on the radio, listen to public broadcasts for information concerning Corona Virus from the government or Heath Officials.

- If you develop flue like symptoms, seek professional assistance from medical personnel. Do not self diagnose.

- Avoid unnecessary travel outside the house, and keep children within the confines of the home during the self quarantine period.

- Please avoid taking children to crowded places or places where someone has cold or flue like symptoms.

- Wash hands throughly up to elbows with soap and running water for 15 to 20 seconds

- Avoid hugs, kissing or handshakes for the quarantine period.

- Avoid touching nose or mouth and if you should sneeze or cough use a sanitized tissue or cloth which you should immediately dispose of and always remember to wash your hands after coughing or sneezing.

- Don not sit close to or across from anyone coughing, sneezing or exhibiting cold or flue like symptoms. Avoid physical contact with any such person, family or strangers.

- If you have been unwell from unexplained flue like illness, avoid touching doors handles, or common appliances with other people until you are perfectly well or certified healthy again.

- Keep alcohol wipes and disinfectants handy

' Your wellness depends on others being hygienic around you. Similarily other people's very life might depend on you being hygienic.

Please pass this on to as many people as you can.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Jesus f**ing Christ.
I honestly hope those mortality numbers aren't accurate, because if it maps in any way to reality then I'm quitting humanity when this thing reaches our shores.

Looney

Expert Member
Jesus f**ing Christ.
I honestly hope those mortality numbers aren't accurate, because if it maps in any way to reality then I'm quitting humanity when this thing reaches our shores.
I'm with you on that!

R4ziel

Expert Member
Jesus f**ing Christ.
If those numbers are accurate and the article is true that people are dying in droves, there is going to be an extinction level event when it reaches Africa with our fantastic health care and clean environments

Looney

Expert Member
If those numbers are accurate and the article is true that people are dying in droves, there is going to be an extinction level event when it reaches Africa with our fantastic health care and clean environments
Maybe that's not such a bad idea...

Jings

Treasure Maker
Well now, isn't this a coincidence?

China announced on Thursday that it will halve additional tariffs on $75 billion worth of US imports, as the world's two largest economies continue to step back from a years-long trade war that has hurt both countries and dented global growth.
The move comes as China is grappling with the escalating coronavirus outbreak. The disease has killed 565 people, mostly in China, and infected more than 28,000 people in over 25 countries and territories.
The reduction affects US goods that China imposed tariffs on last September. Starting next week, China will cut the additional 10% tariff rate it enacted back then on some goods to 5%. Other goods that were taxed an extra 5% will now be levied 2.5%, according to a statement from China's State Council Tariff Commission.

Temujin

Executive Member
Jesus f**ing Christ.
Looks more realistic... I haven't trusted the numbers for days now, makes no sense... places with 800+ infections and 0 deaths, nope, they're fudging them, this could well be real numbers

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Looks more realistic... I haven't trusted the numbers for days now, makes no sense... places with 800+ infections and 0 deaths, nope, they're fudging them, this could well be real numbers
Not to speak of our own country. Yesterday there was a suspect case, and it was not it.

It saddens me to say that I don't even trust the status quo here.

Status
Not open for further replies.