Now finally all of my Windows Operating Systems are legal

Lino

I am back
The whole cracking and running a Windows Operating System can cause more trouble than it is worth. Activation, geniune, updates etc etc.

A long time ago I bought Windows Vista Home Premium:sick: and in turn never used it much.

So after trying Vista Ultimate (cough cough) XP *Cough cough*

I had finally had enough of all the work arounds so I did the following.

1) My Laptop came with a license (legal) for Windows XP. Thus I installed XP on it, and now it runs perfectly without a hitch or any problems. :D

2) My desktop was another story, I have 4GB of Ram but since I am not prepared to spend $$$ on Windows. I weighed up what works and what I needed.

Since I know Windows XP x64 didn't do very well, I went out looking for a copy. I was lucky to find a legal never used copy for an extremely good price. As the store was basically just giving it away as they thought no one would ever use it.

I bought it, installed it and it works like a charm. All my devices work etc and the speed is much better than Vista or even Windows 7 on my system. Best part it is 64bit and sees, uses all my 4GB of Ram.

Once again no problems at all.

3) My server is running Server 2008 Enterprise, as I am just testing it etc, I am allowed to and using it in evaluation mode. Which allows me to use it up to 240 days legally.

Now my Windows are all legal and have no problems at all.

Just felt like sharing!

LancelotSA

Banned
You illegal pirating bastard! ;) ha ha

In truth sometimes Microsoft leave you with little choice. I bought a laptop at a bargain price but unfortunately it only came with Vista with no downgrade option offered by the shop. I needed XP for work. I was informed by Microsoft that it was fine as I could legally downgrade to XP as the Vista license would cover XP. According to the MS consultant all I needed to do was "source" an XP disk from a friend with a retail version of XP, load it and then phone for telephonic activation . Now you try to find someone with a retail version of XP. So I asked if sourcing meant downloading online, of course I was told no! :) Anyway I could not find someone with an XP disk so I ended up downloading a version. This meant not being able to get it activated so as a result of MS I am actually one of those "illegal" users! I end up having to avoid any genuine advantage etc updates and get made to feel like a criminal every time I get updates! :)

howardb

Expert Member
I have purchased and installed the genuine MS Windows XP o/s, but get tired of having to activate every time I change or update the hardware - so I patch it. After a full reinstall, I register/activate again via MS, but honestly cannot be bothered call ing India every month to reactivate after a hardware change... I don't deem this piracy, as I have the legitimate product - all I'm doing is exercising my right to use the product I purchased, without any recurring activation popups... :)

ponder

Honorary Master
I have purchased and installed the genuine MS Windows XP o/s, but get tired of having to activate every time I change or update the hardware - so I patch it. After a full reinstall, I register/activate again via MS, but honestly cannot be bothered call ing India every month to reactivate after a hardware change... I don't deem this piracy, as I have the legitimate product - all I'm doing is exercising my right to use the product I purchased, without any recurring activation popups... :)

ja, they even fooked their legit clients over if you ask me.

d0b33

Honorary Master
My XP is a legal copy but I don't bother to activate it, just run the crack instead, 7RC is legal though..

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
On my wife's laptop - legal copy of XP Pro

On my laptop - legal copy of XP Home

so M$ can pop in any time :D

killadoob

Honorary Master
You just need to get decent copies of windows, damn my copy of vista ultimate requires no activation as it is a laptop version so it requires no activation at all and it runs on my pc hardware.

You must look for laptop versions of windows to avoid the whole activation BS :D

killadoob

Honorary Master
My XP is a legal copy but I don't bother to activate it, just run the crack instead, 7RC is legal though..

This made me laugh, omw that is funny aqua.

Explain why you do not activate it, as far as i know it is painless thing that takes 20 seconds.

Damn that crack must get annoying for xp when you could either activate over the net or phone microsoft and have a fully functioning windows xp.

/cannot wait for the answer cause i am certain it is going to something along the lines of activation is such a mission :D

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Well done L-Man on going legit ... I felt much better the day I went legit. Tossed the illegal Windows off my wifes PC (not my doing thank goodness) and installed Ubuntu.

Got a free (well work pays for my studies) Windows XP licence with my UNISA studies so my box at home is legit too.

d0b33

Honorary Master
This made me laugh, omw that is funny aqua.

Explain why you do not activate it, as far as i know it is painless thing that takes 20 seconds.

Damn that crack must get annoying for xp when you could either activate over the net or phone microsoft and have a fully functioning windows xp.

/cannot wait for the answer cause i am certain it is going to something along the lines of activation is such a mission :D

Yeah it's a mission, when the legit key is denied activation after upgrading, much prefer the crack, can upgrade as much as I like.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Geez how often do you upgrade? :D. Sounds like you must upgrade your mobo and cpu like 5 times a year or something, then yes the crack seem logical.

d0b33

Honorary Master
Geez how often do you upgrade? :D. Sounds like you must upgrade your mobo and cpu like 5 times a year or something, then yes the crack seem logical.

Even installing on a virtual machine costs me my key, rather just crack it, I only run XP in a virtual machine, I'll try my key out when I do a clean virtual image because keys refresh after a period of time.

rudirautenbach

Agree, it is excellent to see the number of legal operating systems around. What would be another interesting question to ask, is how many people use a "pirated" version of Microsoft Office :)