Now I just feel worried re HIV ...

blunomore

Honorary Master
We should all go regularly but I have not been there in quite a few years.

Have been in a monogamous relationship for five years, but did have a few bf's before that.

Now I just feel worried, especially as I was reading that you can be infected and not know or realise it for as long as TEN years ... that's a long time for a virus to be dormant. I was under the impression that it *normally* surfaces much sooner.

I have a very bad fear of medical people - doctors, nurses, etc. so I have always been (irrationally) scared that I would go to a doctor for some more innocent reason and he would diagnose me with cancer or some other dreaded disease. I know I am nuts but that's me.

Waaib

Executive Member
Now I just feel worried, especially as I was reading that you can be infected and not know or realise it for as long as TEN years ... that's a long time for a virus to be dormant. I was under the impression that it *normally* surfaces much sooner.
Dormant for 10 years yes but you'll test +ve after 3 to 6 months. Dormant just means no symptoms of AIDS. So if you have been in a monogamous relationship for longer than 6 months and test -ve then you are fine.

I have a very bad fear of medical people - doctors, nurses, etc. so I have always been (irrationally) scared ....
Do you also have a fear of clowns?

mancombseepgood

Executive Member

Have been in a monogamous relationship for five years, but did have a few bf's before that.

I have a very bad fear of medical people - doctors, nurses, etc. so I have always been (irrationally) scared that I would go to a doctor for some more innocent reason and he would diagnose me with cancer or some other dreaded disease. I know I am nuts but that's me.
Dormant or not, it will show up on tests ;)
Chat to your doc asap

blunomore

Honorary Master
Dormant or not, it will show up on tests ;)
Chat to your doc asap

I think you misunderstood me. I am aware of the difference between HIV and AIDS. What I was trying to say, is that I did not know you can be HIV positive for so long as ten years before you develop AIDS.

Waaib

Executive Member
I think you misunderstood me. I am aware of the difference between HIV and AIDS. What I was trying to say, is that I did not know you can be HIV positive for so long as ten years before you develop AIDS.
10 years on average. There are lots of people (mostly in the 1st world I assume) who through healthy lifestyle choices are able to keep AIDS at bay for much longer.

milomak

Honorary Master
even when you know you shold have nothing to worry about, the wait for the results can be somewhat disconcerting.

blunomore

Honorary Master
Erm the African strain of AIDS is a beast, you'll know you have it within three years or so.
yes but remember people travel a lot to all corners of the world so you will not know whether the strain someone has, is 'african' or not.

Vegeta

Executive Member
Theres only one feeling in the world better than knowing your "status"...
And thats knowing your "status" is a big oll - :D

Vegeta

Executive Member
Me i feel good waiting for my results.
I've only ever been wit one woman(i know i know blah blah)
And shes only ever been wit me(haha i'm a cherry popper :cool: )
Although she always brags about popping my "cherry" :eek:

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Me i feel good waiting for my results.
I've only ever been wit one woman(i know i know blah blah)
And shes only ever been wit me(haha i'm a cherry popper :cool: )
Although she always brags about popping my "cherry" :eek:
TMI

sox63

Executive Member

What killed me was the waiting for the results! You think of every woman you have ever slept with, condom or not. Not funny.

I once went to get tested, and while waiting for the result (those pregnancy type tests), the damn doctor decided to do a checkup, needless to say my blood pressure was sky high. :D

blunomore

Honorary Master
What killed me was the waiting for the results! You think of every woman you have ever slept with, condom or not. Not funny.

I once went to get tested, and while waiting for the result (those pregnancy type tests), the damn doctor decided to do a checkup, needless to say my blood pressure was sky high. :D

I am off for the test now ... wish me luck !

Needless to say, with my irrational fear of doctors, I may have a heart attack waiting for the results.

Pitbull

Verboten

I didn't have the balls for a false Possitive. Decided to have a blood test done thru the pathologists. This has been the longest 3 days of my life. I'll know the results by tomorrow

Last edited: