Now that I'm on Frogfoot I long for the stability of ADSL

louisvd

You read that right. I've been in Frogfoot for 2 weeks now. At first I had really bad congestion in the Peak evening /night hours, but kudos to them for largely fixing that. I have a few scheduled tests running each evening but last I checked the tests looked good.

The latest now is ZERO connectivity.

On Tuesday 5 Nov my link went down at 11h47. Frogfoot's website claimed the fault was restored an hour or two later - but that's not true. My link came back at 18h54 after a false start at 18h17.

Then on Friday 8 Nov it went down at 14h51, and recovered at 17h46. Again a few false starts from 16h56.

Today again I've been down since 15h35. No recovery yet, not even a false start / flap.

Please Frogfoot : fix your network! I expected you to be more reliable than my old ADSL line, not worse! For your info I'm in Walmer 1.4.

joshsparkie

Also had congestion last night on Frogfoot in PE. Went live on 1 November and have had 3 outages since with the latest being this afternoon, still waiting for feedback as to why there has been so many outages in Walmer.

For frogfoot's reference these are the 3 outages:
FRG661559 - 11 November
FRG660519 - 8 November
FRG657675 - 5 November
@Frogfoot Fibre

djbrendan

Expert Member
Same thing in George. I had a lekker 1-3mbps download last night ( didn't check Saturday ) Packet loss was again, so bad! EU was above 1000ms , local is jumping all over the show.

Last edited:

pulsar846

This is crazy. I feel the same about ADSL being more stable. It seems that Walmer is guaranteed to go down every 3 days now.
@frogfootfibre why is this happening and when is it going to be fixed permanently.

louisvd

Also had congestion last night on Frogfoot in PE. Went live on 1 November and have had 3 outages since with the latest being this afternoon, still waiting for feedback as to why there has been so many outages in Walmer.

For frogfoot's reference these are the 3 outages:
FRG661559 - 11 November
FRG660519 - 8 November
FRG657675 - 5 November
@Frogfoot Fibre
Also: FRG661543 - 11 November (not sure why there are two on 11th)

Seems to be up since 18h17. ON fast.com I am getting 89 Mbps down and 93 Mbps up - which I guess is good for 18h30.

joshsparkie

Also: FRG661543 - 11 November (not sure why there are two on 11th)

Seems to be up since 18h17. ON fast.com I am getting 89 Mbps down and 93 Mbps up - which I guess is good for 18h30.
My line also went up around then.
Just tested now on fast.com too and got 89/89 down/up, yesterday I tested at around 9pm and only got 12mbps download and 97mbps upload, but will test at different times to see if there is any congestion.

Frogfoot Fibre

Frogfoot Fibre Rep
Company Rep
Good day All

Frogfoot would like to take this opportunity to clarify the nature of issues it is currently experiencing in Port Elizabeth and George, and additionally, to provide detail around the causes, and action plans to mitigate these as soon as it practical to do so.

There are 3 specific and individual problems which will be detailed separately below.

(1) Port Elizabeth longhaul capacity problem

(2) Port Elizabeth (Walmer area) instability

(3) George longhaul capacity problem

(1) Port Elizabeth longhaul capacity problem

--------------------------------------------

Frogfoot acknowledges it has experienced congestion at peak usage windows for its customers in Port Elizabeth.

The cause for this was poor planning of backhaul capacity to carry traffic from Port Elizabeth to major metros on Frogfoot's side, as well as higher and faster than expected growth in the Port Elizabeth region.

The capacity was however upgraded on 2019-11-11 and the congestion is thus resolved.

We ask that you please run a speed test and if you are experiencing further issues, please inbox us and we will investigate further.

(2) Port Elizabeth (Walmer area) instability

--------------------------------------------

Frogfoot acknowledges that the Walmer area in Port Elizabeth was, and is, at a higher risk of being impacted.

The cause for this is an internal process error at Frogfoot that resulted in inadequate backhaul protection for Frogfoot's node in the Walmer area, as well as a higher than usual incident (fibre breaks) frequency on the current, single backhaul servicing the Walmer node.

As a standard, Frogfoot builds its network such that there is redundant backhaul links that services a node. In the Walmer case, as mentioned, there was an oversight. When realised, Frogfoot immediately actioned the implementation of a redundant backhaul. This is being fast tracked and Frogfoot hope to have it installed as soon as possible.

Additionally Frogfoot is investigating how to mitigate the higher that usual count of fibre breaks on the current backhaul.

(3) George longhaul capacity problem

------------------------------------

Frogfoot acknowledges it is currently experiencing congestion at peak usage windows for its customers in George.

The cause for this is a planned upgrade with a third provider that should have, as a standard, provided the required capacity. This however failed when the third party informed us that they did not have the capacity.

Frogfoot immediately invoked mitigating action to find alternate capacity. The options for providing sufficient back haul capacity from George to the major metros (where interconnecting takes place) is unfortunately limited.

Frogfoot did however manage to secure capacity but it requires civil works (trenching) and landlord approvals before implementation can start. This process is in an advanced stage and the current estimated start date is 19 November which will run for about a week of working days before the capacity can be brought into production. Frogfoot is actively trying to push to bring these dates forward. Updates will be provided if improved dates can be achieved.

Frogfoot is reviewing its internal process to incorporate the vulnerabilities identified and related to the PE and George congested events, third party supplier capacity, and the general planning around backhaul capacity. We hope that this will minimise similar future occurrences.

Regards,

Team Frogfoot

louisvd

Good day All

Frogfoot would like to take this opportunity to clarify the nature of issues it is currently experiencing in Port Elizabeth and George, and additionally, to provide detail around the causes, and action plans to mitigate these as soon as it practical to do so.

<snip>

Frogfoot is reviewing its internal process to incorporate the vulnerabilities identified and related to the PE and George congested events, third party supplier capacity, and the general planning around backhaul capacity. We hope that this will minimise similar future occurrences.

Regards,

Team Frogfoot
@Frogfoot Fibre : I would like to thank you for the response. I was impressed by your candid and honest reply, and find it both surprising and refreshing. I am so used to ISPs and Carriers covering up instead of playing "open cards" with us. Thank you for admitting where you were at fault, and explaining what you are doing about it. I wish you all the best in resolving these issues as effectively and speedily as possible.

louisvd

Same for me. Ticket was logged for it last week via my ISP. FRG635966

joshsparkie

Beginning to wonder if these outages in Walmer are caused by sabotage or gross negligence by contractors or something else?

louisvd

I wonder too. How does a fibre just break like that? It's underground!

Frogfoot Fibre

Frogfoot Fibre Rep
Company Rep
Dear Port Elizabeth Customers

Frogfoot is aware of ongoing instability around its Walmer node. Although alternative plans are underway to install redundant backhaul capacity, with an ETA of 1 week for implementation, the current backhaul continues to remain unstable. As a result, Frogfoot has now escalated this issue with a third party supplier (that provides this specific unstable backhaul) in order to get this expedited and ensure a permanent fix for the current backhaul to be done as soon as is practically possible. We will continue to provide updates.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Reactions: Shi