NSA thinks North Korea was behind WannaCry attack – Report

sajunky

Honorary Master
North Korea thinks Microsoft was behind WannaCry attack – Report

j4ck455

Executive Member
No exchange will touch the tokens, preventing the perpetrators from converting them to cash, stated the report.

What stops the person behind WannaCry from using the ill-gotten gains in Bitcoin transactions without converting to cash?

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
What stops the person behind WannaCry from using the ill-gotten gains in Bitcoin transactions without converting to cash?
I'm a noob w.r.t. to bitcoin but your quote contains the answer to your question surely? If no exchange will accept those tokens then the bitcoin stolen is now already worthless.

j4ck455

Executive Member
I'm a noob w.r.t. to bitcoin but your quote contains the answer to your question surely? If no exchange will accept those tokens then the bitcoin stolen is now already worthless.

I've never used cryptocurrency so I'm also a n00b but my undersdtanding is that you need an exchange to convert cryptocurrency into normal currency and visa versa.

I suspect that cryptocurrency transactions can still take place without an exchange where there is no conversion, for example X buys something from Y and the payment is in Bitcoin. Even though the blockchain transaction becomes a matter of public record, the entities involved in the transaction can still remain anonymous, although their future transactions would probably be their undoing.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
I doubt the actors behind WCry will ever see a cent of that payout. You'll have every intelligence agency in the world looking at the wallet and even with several tumblers the $$$ will still be hot.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Don't believe this for a second. NSA looking for a scape goat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40820837

British cyber-security researcher Marcus Hutchins will appear in court in Las Vegas later charged in a US cyber-crime case.

The 23-year-old has been accused of involvement with Kronos - a piece of malware used to steal banking logins from victims' computers.
Mr Hutchins, from Ilfracombe in Devon, came to prominence after he stalled the WannaCry cyber-attack which hit the NHS in May.
The FBI arrested him on Wednesday.

The UK's National Cyber Security Centre has said it was aware of the situation with fellow cyber-security researchers expressing surprise at the indictment.

WannaCry spread rapidly through computer systems around the world, in an unprecedented outbreak that began on 12 May.
Shortly afterwards, Mr Hutchins was thrust into the limelight after he found a way to stop it from spreading.

He had been in Las Vegas attending the Black Hat and Def Con cyber-security conferences, but activity on his Twitter feed - usually highly active - ceased two days ago.