Nuclear fuel will last us for 4 billion years

wizardofid

Executive Member
4 billion years..... enough time for us to build a Dyson sphere and ship the nuclear waste into the sun

Well that is how long the sun will last more or less before that nuclear engine runs out of fuel however long before that we will be dead, I would give it another million years before life as we know ends. We are overdue for quite a few things, yellow stone, san andreas fault, massive asteroids, sharknados at least that is what the movies promises. :D

Honestly the biggest issue is probably going to be sun as it expands and starts heating up. Additionally the moon also helps drive the earths magnetic fields and that is slowly spinning away from us as it does so will the magnetic sphere grow weaker and have less protection from solar flares ect.

We will be long dead before we are able to advance our sciences enough. :D

Zophos

Expert Member
Well that is how long the sun will last more or less before that nuclear engine runs out of fuel however long before that we will be dead, I would give it another million years before life as we know ends. We are overdue for quite a few things, yellow stone, san andreas fault, massive asteroids, sharknados at least that is what the movies promises. :D

Honestly the biggest issue is probably going to be sun as it expands and starts heating up. Additionally the moon also helps drive the earths magnetic fields and that is slowly spinning away from us as it does so will the magnetic sphere grow weaker and have less protection from solar flares ect.

Well aren't you just a ray of fkn sunshine....

But I agree. :sneaky:

RVQ

Expert Member
You guys are missing the point. The mine itself releases radioactivity into the environment while it is being operated. The entire planet has unstable elements in the ground and they congregate around certain material we mine. The more you go that sh#t up the more you release it into the atmosphere. You can't just look at the after. You need to look at the before and during.

Combine that with depleting natural resources and the fact that you are destroying natural habitat and there is no world in which mining is better than not mining.
FYI: I'm all for a future of power generation where its a combination of Nuclear and Green Energy. I firmly believe Coal and Oil needs to die a quick death!

The video is an example that mines regardless of their use can be rehabilitated and repurposed, I do not believe mining should vilified as many anti-green campaigns like to push with their agendas, mining is necessary for human progress...

Gnome

Executive Member
FYI: I'm all for a future of power generation where its a combination of Nuclear and Green Energy. I firmly believe Coal and Oil needs to die a quick death!

The video is an example that mines regardless of their use can be rehabilitated and repurposed, I do not believe mining should vilified as many anti-green campaigns like to push with their agendas, mining is necessary for human progress...
We definitely need to slow down on the mining as it is going right now. IE> rare earth mining is turning China into an absolute cesspool. Also nothing prevents us from mining on another planet that doesn't have life... I mean it seems like we are getting close to that being possible (more so than fusion).

Hellhound105

Executive Member

Yeah but thats a discussion for another thread.

We should be mining asteroids in space and colonizing other suitable planets.
But here we are laughing at Elon Musk and worrying about famine in Rhodesia while we talk about charging our batteries on windy days.

Neuk_

Expert Member
The human element can and IS being removed through automation. Something that was not possible with the old plants because computers were not capable of it. Today it is a different ball game entirely.

And as @konfab has mentioned modern reactors are being designed to be self contained in the event of a total loss of electrical supply, in order to shut themselves down without any external intervention.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
We definitely need to slow down on the mining as it is going right now. IE> rare earth mining is turning China into an absolute cesspool. Also nothing prevents us from mining on another planet that doesn't have life... I mean it seems like we are getting close to that being possible (more so than fusion).
Yeah Im all for exploring everything.

Might even find something better than Nuclear

EDIT : It is my opinion that Nuclear is the best that we have at the moment.

RVQ

Expert Member
I think the solution is not to find more places to mine but to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. 'Quick Fashion' and 'Built to Break' are problematic concepts that need to be addressed with more solutions like EU's Common Charger rule, or Apples decision to remove accessories in future shipments,... certainly not popular decisions possibly introducing other challenges but a step forward in my opinion.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
4 billion years..... enough time for us to build a Dyson sphere and ship the nuclear waste into the sun
Its enough time for all life to end, start again and evolve to this point 4 times.
I'm sure we would make a Dyson sphere before the end of the second try.

R13...

Honorary Master
Statistically you are wrong.
View attachment 956785

And when you get rid of Nuclear like Germany did, and then ramp up coal power, you end up killing more people because we don't have an alternative source of stable electricity.
Would be good to normalise that for how much each of those makes up the total.

Gnome

Executive Member
I think the solution is not to find more places to mine but to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. 'Quick Fashion' and 'Built to Break' are problematic concepts that need to be addressed with more solutions like EU's Common Charger rule, or Apples decision to remove accessories in future shipments,... certainly not popular decisions possibly introducing other challenges but a step forward in my opinion.
Dude the fact that EU put a law in place that everything must use USB-C for charging is one of the biggest wins in the last 10 years for electronics. There literally was never a reason we couldn't use the same power supplies except companies wanting to punt their own overpriced crap. I doubt people would push back on the decision if they understood just how well engineered USB-C power delivery is, how well designed these power supplies are and just how incredible useful it is to not have hundreds of power adapters. I honestly think most people don't care about the decision and those that do are paid to care by lobbying groups

Lupus

Honorary Master

wizardofid

Executive Member
Its enough time for all life to end, start again and evolve to this point 4 times.
I'm sure we would make a Dyson sphere before the end of the second try.
Not really, sun will be a white dwarf long before that and before that the overall temp of the sun would have increased enough to start boiling away oceans and our atmosphere earth is going to uninhabitable in a couple million of years and it is practically guaranteed we will be smacked by a large asteroid before then.

Yeah evolution isn't going to happen I am afraid, for one the moon was a lot closer which meant tides moved 100kms inland bringing much needed nutrients to the oceans, while earth is a couple of billion years old it only got a oxygen rich atmosphere some 2.3 odd billion years ago, with the lack of nutrients if there were to be a start from scratch evolution it wouldn't be enough time as it will be far too hot and whatever evolved would be rather primitive. as it is now it has the ability to sustain life not rapidly evolve it again at any meaningful pace :)

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Not really, sun will be a white dwarf long before that and before that the overall temp of the sun would have increased enough to start boiling away oceans and our atmosphere earth is going to uninhabitable in a couple million of years and it is practically guaranteed we will be smacked by a large asteroid before then.

Yeah evolution isn't going to happen I am afraid, for one the moon was a lot closer which meant tides moved 100kms inland bringing much needed nutrients to the oceans, while earth is a couple of billion years old it only got a oxygen rich atmosphere some 2.3 odd billion years ago, with the lack of nutrients if there were to be a start from scratch evolution it wouldn't be enough time as it will be far too hot and whatever evolved would be rather primitive. as it is now it has the ability to sustain life not rapidly evolve it again at any meaningful pace :)
The great filter! For those wanting to start of a Friday on a depressive note lol