Nuclear fuel will last us for 4 billion years

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Not really, sun will be a white dwarf long before that and before that the overall temp of the sun would have increased enough to start boiling away oceans and our atmosphere earth is going to uninhabitable in a couple million of years and it is practically guaranteed we will be smacked by a large asteroid before then.

Yeah evolution isn't going to happen I am afraid, for one the moon was a lot closer which meant tides moved 100kms inland bringing much needed nutrients to the oceans, while earth is a couple of billion years old it only got a oxygen rich atmosphere some 2.3 odd billion years ago, with the lack of nutrients if there were to be a start from scratch evolution it wouldn't be enough time as it will be far too hot and whatever evolved would be rather primitive. as it is now it has the ability to sustain life not rapidly evolve it again at any meaningful pace :)
Life exists in volcano vents under the sea. There is more than enough time for it to start up again (4 times maybe a push)

TheJman

Expert Member
Statistically you are wrong.
View attachment 956785

And when you get rid of Nuclear like Germany did, and then ramp up coal power, you end up killing more people because we don't have an alternative source of stable electricity.

Who died from Solar?? Burnt from the mirrors maybe? Solar panel fell on someone?

noxibox

Honorary Master
Not really, sun will be a white dwarf long before that and before that the overall temp of the sun would have increased enough to start boiling away oceans and our atmosphere earth is going to uninhabitable in a couple million of years and it is practically guaranteed we will be smacked by a large asteroid before then.

Yeah evolution isn't going to happen I am afraid, for one the moon was a lot closer which meant tides moved 100kms inland bringing much needed nutrients to the oceans, while earth is a couple of billion years old it only got a oxygen rich atmosphere some 2.3 odd billion years ago, with the lack of nutrients if there were to be a start from scratch evolution it wouldn't be enough time as it will be far too hot and whatever evolved would be rather primitive. as it is now it has the ability to sustain life not rapidly evolve it again at any meaningful pace :)
After the heat has killed everything and made the planet uninhabitable I think the red giant phase will then probably engulf the planet for good measure.

Unless the ANC is running it. Then it's only 40years
And that's just to build it.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
After the heat has killed everything and made the planet uninhabitable I think the red giant phase will then probably engulf the planet for good measure.

And that's just to build it.
If it ever comes to that. There could be a massive celestial phenomenon, larger than the observable universe careering towards us, and we have no idea.

Like ants scurrying about removing grains of sand from their anthill, we are blissfully unaware of the true scale of things.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Something happens and they explode raining down waste and cluttering the area where they used to be with radioactive junk......

I'm banking on enough safety measures to at the very least have an early warning for a thruster to propel the reactor into the sun for decommissioning before that happens. Technically if the force of the explosion was large enough to achieve escape velocity (and it should since its already in space, explosions are generally high energy events) then only the components facing the earth will be ejected earthwards, the rest will be propelled into space.

rambo919

Honorary Master
I'm banking on enough safety measures to at the very least have an early warning for a thruster to propel the reactor into the sun for decommissioning before that happens. Technically if the force of the explosion was large enough to achieve escape velocity (and it should since its already in space, explosions are generally high energy events) then only the components facing the earth will be ejected earthwards, the rest will be propelled into space.
Fantasy land, it is not possible to design a foolproof anything.

And besides with space junk from destroyed or obsolete satellites are already starting to potentially become a problem. Not everything trapped in the earths orbit actually stays in orbit but the reverse is also true. Simply theoretically destroying all current satellites will create a semi-permanent junk field that will make most space travel or replacement satellites impossible for decades if you are being positive.

EDIT: Spelling :oops:

Last edited:

yebocan

Honorary Master
4 billion years..... enough time for us to build a Dyson sphere and ship the nuclear waste into the sun
A complete Dyson sphere, hell Yes...will require heading out of the solar system to mine materials for construction...most of the mass of our solar system is locked up in old Sol ...where do I sign up!

Hellhound105

Executive Member
A complete Dyson sphere, hell Yes...will require heading out of the solar system to mine materials for construction...most of the mass of our solar system is locked up in old Sol ...where do I sign up!

Ja but remember now we are too young as a species. Better to make sure SpaceX evolves and survives.

Also to better to build one around a younger sun

eg2505

Honorary Master
we will need to advance a couple of Millenia perhaps, with the technology to match,
right now were stuck making pollution and wastage.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
I absolutely agree that, given seawater extraction, nuclear fission power is a viable option. In the sense of sustainability. If, as they state here, breeder reactors are used.
I just 100% oppose any more traditional heavy water nuclear power plants a la Chernobyl and Fukushima. Relatively high risk compared to other sustainable sources, and quite costly, and politically challenging to manage spent fuel.

I get irritated when anybody tries to suggest heavy water nuclear power is a sustainable option just because there are nuclear power technologies like breeder reactors that could work well for us. And then they try to tell me that I'm foolish to oppose nuclear power because they can't tell the difference.

Even ignoring, as the graph above show, that the technology could only power the entire world for 5.7 years, unless we somehow manage to start extracting fissile material from seawater within that time period at scale.

Freaking Zuma wanted to build such plants here in SA to the tune of R1trillion+

I mean my gosh... The waste produced per person by heavy water reactors is only about he size of a can of coke over their individual life times, but 8 billion people per generation? Later 10 billion. They can't even properly dispose of current levels of nuclear waste so they store it on site, which can exacerbate catastrophic failure incidents.

Breeders are way better in almost all ways. But...

There are some things to consider with breeder reactors in general though:
  • Breeder reactors are typically 25% more expensive than heavy water reactors. So definitely way more expensive than solar and wind, even with substantial battery storage.
  • Plutonium proliferation. A breeder using Uranium will produce Plutonium continuously as part of the fuel life cycle. And a breeder using Thorium will produce Uranium in the same way. Thus breeder reactors using either fuel holds a plutonium proliferation concern. We are talking about powering the world here.
  • There are still real safety concerns, and every country that has tried to iron out he kinks have given up after spending many tens of billions of dollars combined.
Considered altogether these issues present a profound challenge to the global deployment of breeder reactors.

Sad, but true.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Life exists in volcano vents under the sea. There is more than enough time for it to start up again (4 times maybe a push)
You don't get it they won't evolve further then that, it will remain primitive. Heat/cold isn't kind to evolution, survivable but in no way friendly it is extremely hostile and will only support the most primitive of life.

As for evolution thing. Imagine a car rolling down an infinite hill, life started on top of the hill ,as it proceeds down the hill it took some time to get to maximum speed, it won't go faster nor will it slow down till a external force intervene.

However humans haven't evolved in over 40 000 - 50 000 years either it stopped entirely or extremely slow compared to the animal kingdom. While you never stop evolution you can he periods of slowing down or speeding up pending on environmental conditions.

However future conditions isn't going to be helpful to evolution at all.In the animal population thanks to us bringing a lot of species to near extinction they lack the genetic diversity to really flourish a needed component of steady evolution.

There where several factors that fostered life on earth into a rapid explosion most of that isn't and won't be avaible in future.For example the moon was twice as close as it was now, which meant tides were several meters high and moved great distances, this was extremely important on early earth which led to the explosion of life.Additionally the oceans didn't always contain the current salt concentration it does now.

However as the moon moved away and keeps on increasing the orbit size till the earth can no longer hold onto it several things will happen.

The moon impacts tidal forces so even less nutrients will make it to oceans.
The moon drives and impacts the earths magnetic sphere, as you know we have a constantly spinning molten core this gives us protection from the sun, both from stellar radiation ,solar flares and UV light. You might not be aware solar flares carry a insane amount of harmful radiation as do UV radiation. Nothing can survive that whether you live in thermal vents or in the àrtic regions the less protection the more hostile it will be.

As the magnetic field weakens as a result of the core slowly down, yes it won't spin forever, we will have extinction events as a result of solar flares which are just going to be more frequent and more violent as the sun increases in size and heats up.

Our magnetic sphere not only protects us it also protects the earth's ozone layer which in return protects our atmosphere. Without that protection our atmosphere won't last long as it is blasted into space by solar winds.

no atmosphere no life check mars, still to this day the solar winds is slowly blasting away at Mars's atmosphere in another couple of million years it won't have any, Mars's moons are too small to have any impact.

With the core slowing down and the impact of the moon reducing so will tectonic and volcanic activity reduce and eventually stop entirely. tectonic and volcanic activity is an essential engine that forces minerals and nutrients to the surface in a renewable cycle

earth and all the planets in the inner solar system has a extremely grim future awaiting them.

Evolution is going to slow down and eventually entirely stop as the environmental conditions become more hostile.

So no sorry to burst your evolutionary bubble but we are heading rather flying to extinction at a rapid pace and nothing we can do about it. We will likely cause our own extinction in a million years or so long before external forces can get us.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Ja but remember now we are too young as a species. Better to make sure SpaceX evolves and survives.

Also to better to build one around a younger sun

Yeah good luck with that the closest star factory is 1500 light years away in the orion nebula so no.

Besides you will need to look at a outside galaxy as the milkway galaxy is on a collision course with the Andromeda Galaxy which will happen in about 4 billion years :D All things considered bar a black hole this is as bad as things gets.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Yeah good luck with that the closest star factory is 1500 light years away in the orion nebula so no.

Besides you will need to look at a outside galaxy as the milkway galaxy is on a collision course with the Andromeda Galaxy which will happen in about 4 billion years :D All things considered bar a black hole this is as bad as things gets.

Oh I'm not talking here about you or me, but rather our descendants and their offspring. So yes, we need to start supporting and investing more into things like SpaceX. We are running out of time

Brenden_E

Executive Member
You don't get it they won't evolve further then that, it will remain primitive. Heat/cold isn't kind to evolution, survivable but in no way friendly it is extremely hostile and will only support the most primitive of life.

As for evolution thing. Imagine a car rolling down an infinite hill, life started on top of the hill ,as it proceeds down the hill it took some time to get to maximum speed, it won't go faster nor will it slow down till a external force intervene.

However humans haven't evolved in over 40 000 - 50 000 years either it stopped entirely or extremely slow compared to the animal kingdom. While you never stop evolution you can he periods of slowing down or speeding up pending on environmental conditions.

However future conditions isn't going to be helpful to evolution at all.In the animal population thanks to us bringing a lot of species to near extinction they lack the genetic diversity to really flourish a needed component of steady evolution.

There where several factors that fostered life on earth into a rapid explosion most of that isn't and won't be avaible in future.For example the moon was twice as close as it was now, which meant tides were several meters high and moved great distances, this was extremely important on early earth which led to the explosion of life.Additionally the oceans didn't always contain the current salt concentration it does now.

However as the moon moved away and keeps on increasing the orbit size till the earth can no longer hold onto it several things will happen.

The moon impacts tidal forces so even less nutrients will make it to oceans.
The moon drives and impacts the earths magnetic sphere, as you know we have a constantly spinning molten core this gives us protection from the sun, both from stellar radiation ,solar flares and UV light. You might not be aware solar flares carry a insane amount of harmful radiation as do UV radiation. Nothing can survive that whether you live in thermal vents or in the àrtic regions the less protection the more hostile it will be.

As the magnetic field weakens as a result of the core slowly down, yes it won't spin forever, we will have extinction events as a result of solar flares which are just going to be more frequent and more violent as the sun increases in size and heats up.

Our magnetic sphere not only protects us it also protects the earth's ozone layer which in return protects our atmosphere. Without that protection our atmosphere won't last long as it is blasted into space by solar winds.

no atmosphere no life check mars, still to this day the solar winds is slowly blasting away at Mars's atmosphere in another couple of million years it won't have any, Mars's moons are too small to have any impact.

With the core slowing down and the impact of the moon reducing so will tectonic and volcanic activity reduce and eventually stop entirely. tectonic and volcanic activity is an essential engine that forces minerals and nutrients to the surface in a renewable cycle

earth and all the planets in the inner solar system has a extremely grim future awaiting them.

Evolution is going to slow down and eventually entirely stop as the environmental conditions become more hostile.

So no sorry to burst your evolutionary bubble but we are heading rather flying to extinction at a rapid pace and nothing we can do about it. We will likely cause our own extinction in a million years or so long before external forces can get us.
Do you think we'll make it another million years? Way to go with a positive attitude! :D

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
ctrl-f "waste"...zero hits in article.

The issue isn't how long it'll last (odd definition of renewable btw) but rather what do you do with the byproduct.

Not how nuclear energy works.

The piles will cook and melt. They will not explode. That takes serious, concerted, effort and engineering.
2x major nuclear accidents say otherwise.

...though I gather the author is talking about a much newer design here.

Do you think we'll make it another million years? Way to go with a positive attitude! :D

Reckon we're pretty close. If we make it to multi-planet stage then I think another million isn't that hard to imagine. That's a big if though...someone with a twitchy finger on the nuclear might rain on that parade.