Number portability regulations get public hearings

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
There are some key changes to the regulations required. I did submit on behalf of one telco and hope other voice providers take this seriously so we can get those changes in. They affect literally everybody

Ecco

Executive Member
Surely spectrum is more important then number portability? Number portability....we be having it!!?

Ecco

Executive Member
There are some key changes to the regulations required. I did submit on behalf of one telco and hope other voice providers take this seriously so we can get those changes in. They affect literally everybody

What are some of the issues?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
What are some of the issues?

A few items from my own experience (rather than from the submission I did as a consultant):
* 087 numbers cannot be ported, which means that voip providers can dish them out and lock customers in
* 086 numbers cannot be ported, which means Telkom keep's the lion's share of inbound revenue, eg ofr customers who have high volume corporate numbers and 'golden numbers'
* 080 numbers cannot be ported, which means Telkom still dominates the historic market on these numbers and customers are stuck with Telkom
* There is no obligation on the side of large operators to route inbound numbers properly and customers who call those numbers can battle
* Operators hold onto numbers which they should be releasing for a port (happened to me personally, 5 times with MTN alone on different accounts I own)

That's just a few...