Nvidia reveals new Shield TV set-top boxes

Splinter

Honorary Master
If you have a PC with a newish Nvidia graphics card, you can also stream most of your PC games and play them on your TV

Tks. Ja, well, while I do have a decent GPU, this is not really my thing. Console for TV; PC has own monitor (and room) :)

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
How do they do it better? For example over an LG OLED B6?
Plex streaming will be much quicker and navigation of Netflix etc.

Built in plex of lg oled might also not support dolby vision, where the nvidia shield will have support.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Plex streaming will be much quicker and navigation of Netflix etc.

Built in plex of lg oled might also not support dolby vision, where the nvidia shield will have support.

Don't even know what plex streaming is really :)

I just use DSTV and Netflix; about to add Amazon Prime.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Probably not missing much, think the internal netflix app does support dolby vision.

Xperia

Ordered from Amazon, R2680 all incl. apparently. I'll see how that turns out and whether there will be any school fees to be paid.

Hemps

Honorary Master
What makes these new models so much better than the previous? Genuinely curious as I'm looking for a new media player and the specs on these are underwhelming. How does the Shield compare to something like https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009608757058.html?wid=1349303?

One from gearbest doesnt have 4K netflix

nazmo

Expert Member
The Nvidia shield is amazing. Its hard to explain why its as expensive as it is until you own one (I have the now outgoing one). Just super snappy, runs perfectly, plays everything.

Iv worked on some other popular android units that uses the same/similar OS. they fine for most people, I got my folks one. But for me personally, shield is worth the premium.

Oh, I also stream games from my PC :)

Hemps

Honorary Master
Ordered from Amazon, R2680 all incl. apparently. I'll see how that turns out and whether there will be any school fees to be paid.

If one where to guess how much R the import duty will be?

Messugga

Honorary Master
If one where to guess how much R the import duty will be?
Amazon includes it in the price at checkout. They usually build in a bit of a buffer so that you get a refund instead of having to pay in more when clearing customs.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Its included in your checkout total of the item ships to SA and sold by amazon.

Nice, think ill bite the bullet and replace my apple tv4 , the atv4k is just too expensive, now need to convince wife we need 4K tv.
The pro seems more geared towards playing games etc, more ram and usb ports.

Damn import fees:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 12.41.58.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 12.41.58.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
How do they do it better? For example over an LG OLED B6?

I'm often alone on this thought - but I think a good streaming TV is enough.

Obviously, if you like your scripts / APKs / hacking / workarounds ... then a PC is probably better. But I think for the majority of situations, a decent and recent Smart TV is the way to go.

Azg

Expert Member
The claim is that the new Nvidia Shield does an excellent job at upscaling 720 and 1080 content to 4K. (Artificial intelligence upscaling).

Another reason for using a standalone streaming device (in my case) is that I can't figure out a way to have apps from different countries e.g. BBC iPlayer and ITV (UK) and Hulu (US) on the same TV.

Last edited:

R13...

Honorary Master
On the + side they seem to have dropped that slider for volume control that previous gen users say is horrible. Might get myself this then.