Nvidia reveals new Shield TV set-top boxes

Splinter

Honorary Master
I'm often alone on this thought - but I think a good streaming TV is enough.

Obviously, if you like your scripts / APKs / hacking / workarounds ... then a PC is probably better. But I think for the majority of situations, a decent and recent Smart TV is the way to go.

I don't know what this is either :) Pirating kind of thing?

calypso

Expert Member
OOo and i need to replace my old Rokus. But now the price of the Roku Ultra has dropped to $100.
Decisions decision, as I use these for nothing more than Plex.

Happy Days

Expert Member
One from gearbest doesnt have 4K netflix
Thanks for that - don't stream, so not a factor for me. The spreadsheet is useful, though. :thumbsup:

Hemps

Honorary Master
OOo and i need to replace my old Rokus. But now the price of the Roku Ultra has dropped to $100.
Decisions decision, as I use these for nothing more than Plex.

$79.99

calypso

Expert Member
$79.99

Got my prices mixed up. But thanks.
I like the idea of consolidating the streamer/chromecast and steamlink into one device. Lets see if Black Friday pricing can convince me.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Will hopefully pick up the old gen for cheap.. Nothing wrong with them

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
The Nvidia shield is amazing. Its hard to explain why its as expensive as it is until you own one (I have the now outgoing one). Just super snappy, runs perfectly, plays everything.

Iv worked on some other popular android units that uses the same/similar OS. they fine for most people, I got my folks one. But for me personally, shield is worth the premium.

Oh, I also stream games from my PC :)
Dibs your old one, when you buy the new one

Hemps

Honorary Master
On watching Youtube reviews of both the Shield and Mibox, I cant really tell the difference, the price difference is just too big a gap for an interface almost identical.

I know the Shield is far more powerful and interface is slightly faster.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
On watching Youtube reviews of both the Shield and Mibox, I cant really tell the difference, the price difference is just too big a gap for an interface almost identical.

yeh pretty much..

nazmo

Expert Member

living with the shield, then using my folks' mibox, its quite different.

Also proper 1gbit wired networking, and the ease in how it handles really high bitrate 4K HDR is great. 99 percent of people wont notice. But for me the big seller is that im streaming games from my PC and using a PS4 controller on the shield, as if the PC is in the living room.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master

The MiBox is a top device also, cant go wrong there.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
living with the shield, then using my folks' mibox, its quite different.

Also proper 1gbit wired networking, and the ease in how it handles really high bitrate 4K HDR is great. 99 percent of people wont notice. But for me the big seller is that im streaming games from my PC and using a PS4 controller on the shield, as if the PC is in the living room.
when you upgrading man? The new Shield is amazing, go for it lol