Nvidia reveals new Shield TV set-top boxes

WiseCrack

Expert Member
I added the cheaper shield to my amazon basket and with import and shipping fees it comes to R3500.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
On watching Youtube reviews of both the Shield and Mibox, I cant really tell the difference, the price difference is just too big a gap for an interface almost identical.

I know the Shield is far more powerful and interface is slightly faster.

Does the MiBox do Dolby Vision?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Eish, no luck there.

Seems you have to spend the bucks on Shield or ATV4 if you want it ALL.

I still wanted to try out the MiBox to see how well it handles audio, the Shield is the only box I've found that does a thorough job of supporting most audio formats flawlessly (pass-through to receiver).

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
I still wanted to try out the MiBox to see how well it handles audio, the Shield is the only box I've found that does a thorough job of supporting most audio formats flawlessly (pass-through to receiver).
The Mi Box S can't do HD audio but the original Mi Box can including Atmos.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Plex streaming will be much quicker and navigation of Netflix etc.

Built in plex of lg oled might also not support dolby vision, where the nvidia shield will have support.
That's an app issue though. If the LG app doesn't support it, Plex needs to update their app.

Also the streaming performance will depend on the server rather than the client...

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Yup and I don't think they ever confirmed if it's a Android 8.1 thing, if it's a licensing thing or if they straight up forgot to tick the HD boxes on the firmware.
so why would you get the Mi Box S over the original?

Hemps

Honorary Master
I added the cheaper shield to my amazon basket and with import and shipping fees it comes to R3500.
When you add all the extra's it's a krapload of money, on par with the ATV4K though.
R700 for customs just kills it for me.

Jacoco

How do you play the Geforce Now games if in South Africa, the free ones. I get message my account doesnt allow, even when on VPN?

Azg

Expert Member
How do you play the Geforce Now games if in South Africa, the free ones. I get message my account doesnt allow, even when on VPN?
Which Nvidia Shield do you have - the 2019 one?

Azg

Expert Member
Correct, the 2019 modl, got it yesterday.
You were a few days late. The previous method (before today) was that you registered your new Shield on the link below and was granted access:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/rewards/

I did that and my Shield was activated within a few hours.

From today GeForce Now is no longer in beta and is now $5 per month:

Last edited:

Jacoco

You were a few days late. The previous method (before today) was that you registered your new Shield on the link below and was granted access:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/rewards/

I did that and my Shield was activated within a few hours.

From today GeForce Now is no longer in beta and is now $5 per month:
Thank you, guess its signup time then.