Nvidia unveils Tesla P40 and P4 graphics cards

Thor

Honorary Master
Still not sure why they do not build one GPU and sell the drivers to unlock different functionality if that makes sense?

How much different are all these cards from a hardware perspective the GTX vs Quadro vs Tasla it all seems like funny marketing tactics to sell different boards at inflated prices when they are all capable of doing the same thing but gets limited by the software drivers " dumbed down"

redarrow

Expert Member
Still not sure why they do not build one GPU and sell the drivers to unlock different functionality if that makes sense?

How much different are all these cards from a hardware perspective the GTX vs Quadro vs Tasla it all seems like funny marketing tactics to sell different boards at inflated prices when they are all capable of doing the same thing but gets limited by the software drivers " dumbed down"
Pretty sure if they did that (doubt they could tbh) then someone would just figure out how to "hack" their cheapest card into the most expensive one.

cguy

Executive Member

The cards are actually pretty different these days. They differ in:
- Memory capacity: Quadro and Tesla having more memory
- Memory type: Stacked vs. Non-stacked, and ECC vs. non-ECC
- Cooling: Most Tesla's come in a form factor designed for putting many of them into a rack, which means that they may be cooled differently (e.g., in the past, I've seen them passively cooled with fins and no surrounding fan-box, so that the rack server's fans can do the cooling). Desktop versions will tend to have their own fans.
- Build quality: Tesla's will use higher end board components, since it is expected to run at full capacity for years.
- Chip binning: Chips are also binned for reliability, and possibly for some marginal compute advantage (e.g., having all compute units working).

Pretty sure if they did that (doubt they could tbh) then someone would just figure out how to "hack" their cheapest card into the most expensive one.
That has actually happened in the past (2002-ish IIRC). Some of the first Quadros used software to unlock features, and a driver hack came out that allowed one to recognize the Geforce cards as a Quadro, and use those features.

Thor

Honorary Master
Ahh I was not aware things changed. In that case I will probably need one of those since I don't play games apart from the odd dota match once a year, the rest of the times is Adobe and Maya