Obama's Drone Speech Welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
President Barack Obama's speech on the use of drones to kill Islamic militants was well-received in two countries most affected by the strikes - Pakistan and Yemen - but criticism of the U.S. policy remains strong.

Obama cast the drone program as crucial to U.S. counterterrorism efforts, though he announced more restrictive rules governing the attacks. His advisers said these would effectively limit future use of drones.

Pakistani officials and analysts said Friday that Obama addressed some of Islamabad's concerns, which could help improve relations. But Pakistan still demands the strikes end entirely, saying they violate Pakistan's sovereignty.

A Yemeni intelligence official says drone strikes are effective against al-Qaida and have thwarted plans to kidnap diplomats and foreigners. The official spoke anonymously because he wasn't authorized to talk to media.

Source : Sapa-AP /pk
Date : 24 May 2013 11:24

Lightscribe

Banned
There you go Killa, Obama listened to you. ;)

Now they will kill them with drones, only when protecting high profile assets, the moment they are just terrorists in the group, alone, or when they leave the country. :p

killadoob

Honorary Master
I don't care if the US kill their own citizens, obama made a good point last night actually. Whether someone is american or not that has not bearing on whether they should be treated any different, he used that sniper case as an example.

I don't care if they are killing terrorists with drones, i care that there is no transparency and there is too much secrecy surrounding the targets and the strikes. They are not even documenting the strikes in yemen, only people on the ground know about them.

It's largely a trust issue as well, i don't trust that america has now or in the past had good enough intel to give them enough credibility to kill where ever, whenever and whoever they feel they need to. Someone needs to regulate drone strikes.

How would it go down if iran was allowed to fly drones inside iraq targeting so called terrorists? Would you trust that iran are not targeting sunni's or would you trust them? My bet is you would never trust iran, russia or any of the so called anti US countries with the power to kill. You cannot even argue that the US has a better track record because they do not. Full of lies, secrets and slaughtering of innocent people. So regulate the drone strike, allow russia and china or the UN to have a look at the intel or the footage to make damn sure the US are doing what they say and we know from the past they very rarely do what they say.

Lightscribe

Banned
I don't care if the US kill their own citizens, obama made a good point last night actually. Whether someone is american or not that has not bearing on whether they should be treated any different, he used that sniper case as an example.

I don't care if they are killing terrorists with drones, i care that there is no transparency and there is too much secrecy surrounding the targets and the strikes. They are not even documenting the strikes in yemen, only people on the ground know about them.

It's largely a trust issue as well, i don't trust that america has now or in the past had good enough intel to give them enough credibility to kill where ever, whenever and whoever they feel they need to. Someone needs to regulate drone strikes.

How would it go down if iran was allowed to fly drones inside iraq targeting so called terrorists? Would you trust that iran are not targeting sunni's or would you trust them? My bet is you would never trust iran, russia or any of the so called anti US countries with the power to kill. You cannot even argue that the US has a better track record because they do not. Full of lies, secrets and slaughtering of innocent people. So regulate the drone strike, allow russia and china or the UN to have a look at the intel or the footage to make damn sure the US are doing what they say and we know from the past they very rarely do what they say.

I don't know, the USA seems to be doing a good job, of getting whoever they're after. The terrorists and their puppetmasters are complaining. Let's not even begin the collateral damage thing again.

OK, but what if the Russian/Chinese financed jihadist is to be killed? Won't it mess up the USA's plans, to go and hand over their pics and proposed target dates, to the people who's cannonfodder they are bumping off? :p

Last edited:

zippy

Honorary Master

Ridiculous notion. To have another country regulate your armed services. Lol. Like the Russians and Chinese would allow America to regulate them. Haha.