Observance of public holidays

Should public holidays be on a Monday/Friday?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 69 31.1%
  • Yes, with some exceptions (eg New Years Day)

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • No, some days are more important than convenience.

Votes: 55 24.8%

• Total voters

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Many countries observe [some of] their public holidays on a Monday or Friday regardless on the day it falls. What's stopping SA from doing the same where possible?

I’m of the understanding it only happens like that when it falls on a weekend, not a random day in the week.

I don’t see any need to change from the SA system as it stands at present. Makes calendars much simpler as it’s always the same process.

I prefer the case for a Thursday or Tuesday or Wednesday as you can easily pad it with a leave day or two to make for a nice long weekend. If it fell on a Monday or Friday always you’d need to use more leave to achieve the same.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I prefer the case for a Thursday or Tuesday or Wednesday as you can easily pad it with a leave day or two to make for a nice long weekend. If it fell on a Monday or Friday always you’d need to use more leave to achieve the same.
:unsure: If you take an extra day you still need to take an extra day.

Quicks

Expert Member
Would not mind having off every Monday, always feels like I have hangover even though I have not been drinking the day before.

Brian_G

Executive Member
I just had a look and SA has 12 annually compared to 10 in the US, and between eight and ten in the UK.
Do any of them turn their weekend-falling holidays into a Friday / Monday holiday as well?
e.g.: An old 2012 calendar here for S.A. lists 14...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do any of them turn their weekend-falling holidays into a Friday / Monday holiday as well?
e.g.: An old 2012 calendar here for S.A. lists 14...
The UK does. Unlike SA they do it for Saturday or Sunday ones.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Do you think public holidays should be observed on a Monday/Friday or do you think things are fine as they are?

Yes, with some exceptions.

The Monday holiday setup is one of the few US practices I really like. The tricky part is deciding which holidays shouldn't be moved to Mondays.

IssiAmd

Yes definitely, move to either Friday or Monday.
Most people don't know or don't appreciate the significance anyway.
Eg, heritage day is now just about having a braai.

And then also the ones which fall on a Sunday get observed on a Monday anyways. So it can be flexible.

And then and then there's those that fall on a Saturday, real slap in the face those.
Move them to Friday for sure.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I've always said that.

Scrap all public holidays and then one Monday/Friday every month should be a ''Worker's Day''. Very few people care about what the public holiday is about anyway, Its just a day to get off of work and do what you want.

You get a random public holiday on 24 September and then go nearly 3 months when another random holiday appears in the middle of the week on 16 December. Then you have April which gets all the holidays and also tends to disrupt companies with all the short weeks.

The only holidays I would leave as is are New Years and Christmas+Boxing Day because those have effectively become cultural holidays. People who aren't even religious celebrate the latter.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I just had a look and SA has 12 annually compared to 10 in the US, and between eight and ten in the UK.

We are quite far from the country with the most. I think 12 is a decent number.
Edit: And about 2 of our public holidays usually fall on a Saturday.

1601365400134.png

Last edited: