Octotel Cape Town Southern Suburbs Issue - Timeouts in Claremont/Kenilworth/Rondebosch area

zolly

Expert Member
So I have finally managed to connect with someone who clearly lives in the same area as me who is having issues the same issues as me. He is on Web Squad, I am on Cool Ideas, but our lines time out at the exact same time. Not only that, but when the time outs start occurring, they usually continue for a while with a strange 6 minute pattern. That is to say like this:

10:36 - Timeout starts
10:42 - Next timeout
10:48 - Next timeout
10:54 - Next timeout
11:00 - Maybe timeouts end

If you are experiencing the same issue, please reply here or post on the Facebook group.

Initially I thought I was going mad until this individual shared his logs and they are virtually identical, so I am hoping to identify more people who have this problem to put pressure on Octotel to resolve it.

JasonK

I got this message from cool ideas on Monday.

Hi Cool Ideas/Octotel Customer. There is maintenance for those in/near Rondebosch from 7 - 9 Sep. This might affect your service. Info: https://bit.ly/3thLZRz

I’m assuming line is having work done on it.

Seeyou

Expert Member
I got this message from cool ideas on Monday.

Hi Cool Ideas/Octotel Customer. There is maintenance for those in/near Rondebosch from 7 - 9 Sep. This might affect your service. Info: https://bit.ly/3thLZRz

I’m assuming line is having work done on it.

Unfortunately not the case. This has been ongoing for far longer than these announced maintenance windows, which also don't resolve the issue.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Unfortunately not the case. This has been ongoing for far longer than these announced maintenance windows, which also don't resolve the issue.
Correct- Octotel operate like Telkom... spoeg en plak en hoop dit bly vas op die muur

phool

I'm also on Octotel in Rondebosch. Been impossible to stay connected on Zoom in afternoons/early evenings due to this issue. Massively frustrating.

Cage Rattler

Openserve across the road from my location but not on my side. What a pity, would move from Octotel to them in a heartbeat.

eddief1

Expert Member
Someone on here had a ONT replaced, that then did not come up and was assumed faulty.
Did anyone perhaps see what optical levels were showing on their ONT's ?- A faulty ONT out of the box is very rare but between ONT's there are definitely variances on the optical ports - sometimes a few Db. It could be you guys are very close to the optical limits

phool

Had some respite the last 2 days but had another disconnect this morning.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Agree, but Octotel likes to hit every problem with the same hammer.

I mean, you'd think after TWO new ONT's someone might conclude it could, possibly, be something else. I'm pretty sure denial is a company policy over there.

phoenix99

Expert Member
After waking up yesterday morning with no connection, I rebooted the ONT at around 8:30am and had what is probably the longest period of uninterrupted connection in over 3 months, until 22:13. Around 13 hours.

Then we were back to the same old issues. Wish someone could explain what happened yesterday from 8am-10pm? And what changed after that?

Outages for yesterday and this morning:
22:13
22:35
23:34
01:08
01:12-04:38 no access this entire time
06:38-06:40
06:51-07:17 no access this entire time
08:10
08:31
09:27

Feels like banging my head against a brick wall at this point.

phool

Been particularly frequent today. Will be spamming the group on facebook for the next while.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Update:

CI just called to advise that Octotel wants to put my connection onto a static IP. No idea how helpful that's going to be.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Update: not helpful at all

Outages since change to static
11:00
11:15
12:08
12:26

It's been down solidly since 17:01. No access

Seeyou

Expert Member
Update:

CI just called to advise that Octotel wants to put my connection onto a static IP. No idea how helpful that's going to be.

Already tried this on WS. There was no change between PPPoE and static IP.