Octotel Cape Town Southern Suburbs Issue - Timeouts in Claremont/Kenilworth/Rondebosch area

Go†h_Li†e°²

From this morning... keeping in mind this is a 100/100 line... sdfsdfigubu.saix.net.png 12204777232.png tiyujkone.one.one.one.png 12204799020.png

And after I complain....
12205029869.png

So if I don't have to change anything my side but a simple email to complain "fixes" things what exactly is the issue...

Budza

Executive Member
There is work in the area in addition to the usual timeouts- are you in/close to any of these?
1634634663138.png

I find I have to 'Reconnect' every once in a while to resuscitate the connection :(

Results from this mirror those in #84- under 2Mbps then back to full line speed after reconnect.

1634634708410.png

Go†h_Li†e°²

There is work in the area in addition to the usual timeouts- are you in/close to any of these?
View attachment 1170154

I find I have to 'Reconnect' every once in a while to resuscitate the connection :(

Results from this mirror those in #84- under 2Mbps then back to full line speed after reconnect.

View attachment 1170156
Hi Budza, it was the first place I checked.

"Octotel is conducting maintenance in Rondebosch on the 19th of October from 00.00am until 06:00am."
I am close but if this is an issue they should update the times / post.

The packet loss is an ongoing issue for the last few months 3 to 5 times daily, I complain then it "fixes" itself...
After complaining in the AM via email the line speed went back to normal.... this was new.

I always thoroughly test before posting (20+ years in IT and networking) and I double check the Status page beforehand.

But thank you for the input / feedback it is appreciated!

phool

Intermittent disconnections are still an ongoing issue my side. Really frustrating when you are doing paid for zoom lessons and you cant stay connected for an hour and half session.

Finally had someone from Octotel come back to me but they have now asked for me to do the pingplotter tests and send screenshots when the disconnection happens. Kind of feels like we are kicking the can down the road but let's see what happens.

Go†h_Li†e°²

Intermittent disconnections are still an ongoing issue my side. Really frustrating when you are doing paid for zoom lessons and you cant stay connected for an hour and half session.

Finally had someone from Octotel come back to me but they have now asked for me to do the pingplotter tests and send screenshots when the disconnection happens. Kind of feels like we are kicking the can down the road but let's see what happens.
Would you mind posting them here?
It would be nice to compare, I am trying to collect as much info as possible kinda tired of being messed around by ISP's or ISP's pointing finger to other ISP's.

Budza

Executive Member
Would you mind posting them here?
It would be nice to compare, I am trying to collect as much info as possible kinda tired of being messed around by ISP's or ISP's pointing finger to other ISP's.
I'm running Ping Plotter now.

Are there specific settings I should use to ensure my results are more useful @Go†h_Li†e°²

Ping 1.1.1.1

TheVVolf

Morning all,

Here is a baseline I ran on 3 different setups on my side: Cool Ideas ISP and OctoTel Fibre

Direct into ONT, Wired:
ONT.Wired.Normal.png

Using Tenda TX9 Pro Router, 5G Wireless:
Tenda.5G.WiFi.Normal.png

TP-Link Archer C20 Router, 5G Wireless:
TPLinkC20.5G.WiFi.Normal.png

These were run for 10 minutes each, during stable times, no disconnections. Baseline.

Here was the disconnection I had last night (19 Oct), using the Tenda TX9 Pro setup. It was stable for almost the entire day, until 23:24-ish:
202110192324.png

Not sure if this helps at all since it just looks like sadness to me, and Cool Ideas and OctoTel are blaming each other, but no one is fixing the issue.

(P.S. I am on my 3rd Router now, and have also changed the cable from the ONT to the Router. No difference so far. Tenda seems to be the most stable so far, but last night's issue makes me doubt of it has "fixed" the issue, or if I was just lucky during the day.)

Last edited:

Go†h_Li†e°²

Morning all,

Here is a baseline I ran on 3 different setups on my side: Cool Ideas ISP and OctoTel Fibre

Direct into ONT, Wired:
View attachment 1171070

Using Tenda TX9 Pro Router, 5G Wireless:
View attachment 1171072

TP-Link Archer C20 Router, 5G Wireless:
View attachment 1171074

These were run for 10 minutes each, during stable times, no disconnections. Baseline.

Here was the disconnection I had last night (19 Oct), using the Tenda TX9 Pro setup. It was stable for almost the entire day, until 23:24-ish:
View attachment 1171078

Not sure if this helps at all since it just looks like sadness to me, and Cool Ideas and OctoTel are blaming each other, but no one is fixing the issue.
The last test indicates a possible issue on your side.

I just had intermittent issues from ISP side, I have attached the example, you can see the first "hop" my local side is fine, then from the ISP's side issues.
3463146one.one.one.one.png

phool

Hi Phool, it looks like the issue may be on your end. i.e your network, router / gateway etc.
What devices are your running / what is your network layout?
i.e.
Your Router + ONT / CPE
Your Router + ISP Router + ONT / CPE
Switch + Router + ONT / CPE
etc
Just using ISP Router connected to ONT. Doubt it's the above since Cool Ideas replaced my router and strill having same issues. Will wait for feedback from Octotel.

zolly

Expert Member
My timeouts have reappeared since "maintenance" earlier in the week. Haven't had a chance to reboot all my hardware since my brother (who was supposed to be at work) has decided to work from home this morning. Will do a full reset on all my hardware and hope that fixes it. It was gone after I complained a lot and now it's back which is kak annoying.

uktest.cisp.co.za.png

zolly

Expert Member
Network just went to ****. Octotel cool ideas intbr above area. Anyone else?

Go†h_Li†e°²

Just using ISP Router connected to ONT. Doubt it's the above since Cool Ideas replaced my router and strill having same issues. Will wait for feedback from Octotel.
Hi Phool

From the image you supplied it showed the issue is likely on your end, it can be as simple as a faulty network cable or as we discovered recently a friends PS3 connected to his network was causing outages.

Go†h_Li†e°²

My timeouts have reappeared since "maintenance" earlier in the week. Haven't had a chance to reboot all my hardware since my brother (who was supposed to be at work) has decided to work from home this morning. Will do a full reset on all my hardware and hope that fixes it. It was gone after I complained a lot and now it's back which is kak annoying.

View attachment 1171756
From the image it shows the issue is upstream from you and your ISP needs to resolve the issue.
I have had the same for months and only when you start complaining and putting pressure does it get sorted out.