Octotel Fiber - Sea Point

thealien

Anyone have any experience with the Octotel fiber being offered in Sea Point/Beach Road ?

All sounds good, but not sure if anyone has had any 1st hand experience.

Also any comments on the ISPs they've integrated with. I do a little gaming, and mostly work online in the US, so VPNs, SSH and VOIP. I had webafrica on DSL capped business which was about the best I've ever had in CT. Currently on a pretty good VOX account which rollover bandwidth but the pipe sux. Never had any experience with RSAWEB, but their package is pretty compelling. Shedding Telkom for voice and going all in on FTTH would be nice...I had that from Telkom on trial in Moulliepoint using my capped WA account and it was the best I've ever had in SA.

Gnome

Executive Member
Anyone have any experience with the Octotel fiber being offered in Sea Point/Beach Road ?

All sounds good, but not sure if anyone has had any 1st hand experience.

Also any comments on the ISPs they've integrated with. I do a little gaming, and mostly work online in the US, so VPNs, SSH and VOIP. I had webafrica on DSL capped business which was about the best I've ever had in CT. Currently on a pretty good VOX account which rollover bandwidth but the pipe sux. Never had any experience with RSAWEB, but their package is pretty compelling. Shedding Telkom for voice and going all in on FTTH would be nice...I had that from Telkom on trial in Moulliepoint using my capped WA account and it was the best I've ever had in SA.
I'm on Cybersmart Lightspeed (High level road), can definitely recommend them.
Cybersmart is rolling out massively in the Atlantic Seaboard if I understood the installer correctly.

I don't really buy into the asynch model of Octotel/Cool Ideas. It is dodgy (almost like they are using some kind of old Telkom network)
With Cybersmart I have gigabit ethernet coming into my flat (ethernet over fibre).
There isn't a good reason with fiber that it should be asynch

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
@Gnome unfortunately the lines are dictated by Octotel, hence what we offer. The async model is mostly due to the way the network splits it's PON side of things. In most of these situations there isnt another network to choose from, IE Cybersmart wouldn't be in the areas of Octotel and vice versa.