Octotel (Octofail) - You Have Been Warned!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
If you're contemplating going with ANY (yes any) ISP that provides services via this Fibre ISP, known as Octotel, please be aware that you will be in for a world of pain.
So far we know the following:
* The network in Cape Town is congested, and Joe Botha, the CTO, gives not one **** about it. Their offical response to sorting the problem out is a real mature and professional "any day now"
* The network is generally rubbish. It is worse than an ADSL line with one leg disconnected
* They deny anything is wrong, and blame your ISP (be it Cool Ideas, Vox Telecom, or anyone else)

I am creating this thread because the Octotel issues are tending to cloud the CISP Feedback thread and I want folks to make an informed decision before getting FTTH at home.

genetic

Honorary Master
We use Vox on Octotel at work (Cape Town CBD) and have no issues what-so-ever.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
via this Fibre ISP, known as Octotel
Octotel isn't an ISP fruityloop. :p

It is funny though how all the other posts are how others have no issue at all on Octotel.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I stayed at a guest house in Newlands this past week, and they're with RSAWeb on Octotel. The congestion after 5pm is so bad that I usually switched to mobile data. The line goes from 100Mbps to <1Mbps with 25-50% packet loss.

Second hop latency in trace routes was 1500-3500ms.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Alrighty so then this problem is imaginary, even though the ISP has admitted it exists after I made enough noise.
Sorry guys, I apologise

MDE

Expert Member
Actually there are quite a few people with issues on the network. Paul from Cool Ideas mentioned that not only CISP but other Service providers have received complaints about Octotel as well.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Actually there are quite a few people with issues on the network. Paul from Cool Ideas mentioned that not only CISP but other Service providers have received complaints about Octotel as well.
I've asked for this thread to be deleted, because its all in my head, apparently.
I am not going to argue I'd rather just let's wipe this and I carry on with my life.

greg_SA

Expert Member
I was at a friends place on Saturday, on Octotel with RSAweb as the ISP. Battled with streaming Red Bull TV, but Youtube was fine. His account is meant to the unshaped...

Maybe RSAWeb is the issue?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
There is a known problem on portions of Octotel's network... It's not anyone's imagination and it's not the ISP.
I agree Sinbad but its a bit late for that. Already some people chose sides and made me out to be the bad guy because I was persistent and I knew from the start when I did that first test at home to prove there was a problem (even prior to opening a ticket for the first time), that the fibre provider is a joke!
I just want to move on now and forget I ever had dealings with CI and Octotel

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I think people are losing sympathy because now everything is the worst the whole fibre industry is snake oil yadah
I don't think Vumatel or Frogfoot are bad... and I think some of them others are pretty good. But unfortunately they are not in my area and I sure as hell cannot afford to live in areas where they roll out.