Octotel (Octofail) - You Have Been Warned!

avr-rulez

Expert Member
This is indeed very concerning as Octotel are trenching my area (muizenberg) and no other fibre provider....

I get 19.6Mbps to Vodafone UK on VDSL 20Mbps line via VOX on Telkom. My sister just got 20/20Mbps fibre in Kirstenhof on Frogfoot using Macrolan and after all techie's testing and fault finding - all she gets to Vodafone UK is 15.5Mbps. Go figure???

One thing that is not 2 things is that that will no fly by me....

maumau

Honorary Master
This is indeed very concerning as Octotel are trenching my area (muizenberg) and no other fibre provider....

I get 19.6Mbps to Vodafone UK on VDSL 20Mbps line via VOX on Telkom. My sister just got 20/20Mbps fibre in Kirstenhof on Frogfoot using Macrolan and after all techie's testing and fault finding - all she gets to Vodafone UK is 15.5Mbps. Go figure???

?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member

15.5 on 20/20 FTTH ... OMG if I could only get that. I can't even get 2Mbps!!!

Budza

Executive Member
I'm in Lynfrae.

Have had endless kak with RSAWEB- I blame them though. If the issue was Octotel, surely they'd pass the blame?

They seem clueless, so perhaps they don't know themselves.

I've resorted to release/renew my IP whenever there's a slowdown. That seems to fix it for a week or two.

Not even my ancient ADSL was this unstable :(

Splice

How do you recover from one of these disconnects?

Does internet just die or slow to a crawl?
Internet is down when it disconnects.

90% of the time I just restart my modem which works.
The other 10% of the time I just have to wait.

Budza

Executive Member
My understanding of fibre was that it was MUCH more stable than ADSL.

As in we shouldn't be seeing any disconnects at all. ADSL slowed down and needed a port reset once a month or so.

My RSAWEB / Octotel experience has been worse, about twice a month at least.

I'll move from RSAWEB when my contract is up and tell whoever the new guys are they story. If they fail too, I'll keep moving.

access

Executive Member
Like I said, its clearly my computer or I am dreaming.
chill out, people are just giving information because you stated the cpt network is congested, if everyone was agreeing with you then it would appear to be a network wide issue, but they are not, so its something else.

also, i saw some weird speed issues with octotel/rsaweb. changed dns servers and it went away

mercurial

MyBB Legend
chill out, people are just giving information because you stated the cpt network is congested, if everyone was agreeing with you then it would appear to be a network wide issue, but they are not, so its something else.

also, i saw some weird speed issues with octotel/rsaweb. changed dns servers and it went away
Which dns server did you use?