Octotel (Octofail) - You Have Been Warned!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
1. I am in Blouberg Rise
2. People in adjoining streets, who are on the neighbourhood watch groups are reporting the same slow speeds.
3. I see periods of dead internet in other words, an established PPPoE session remains active but no data is able to be transferred. During one of these, a few weeks ago, as an experiement I forced a PPPoE reconnect and I found that the router couldn't get a PPPoE session established until 10 minutes later. Nowadays I do not fiddle with the router, I just wait it out.
4. Because of local CDNs we don't see issues on Netflix, although that has started to buffer the last few days. This past weekend was abysmal, we ended up going back to the media library on hard disk.
5. The internet was perfect between the 18th of December 2018 right until the 14th or so when it started to get back to the usual rubbish I experienced right from the first day of connecting the router. This change perfectly corresponded with the traffic in the area, which means its perfectly accurate to assume it was because everyone went on holiday.

access

Executive Member
1. I am in Blouberg Rise
2. People in adjoining streets, who are on the neighbourhood watch groups are reporting the same slow speeds.
3. I see periods of dead internet in other words, an established PPPoE session remains active but no data is able to be transferred. During one of these, a few weeks ago, as an experiement I forced a PPPoE reconnect and I found that the router couldn't get a PPPoE session established until 10 minutes later. Nowadays I do not fiddle with the router, I just wait it out.
4. Because of local CDNs we don't see issues on Netflix, although that has started to buffer the last few days. This past weekend was abysmal, we ended up going back to the media library on hard disk.
5. The internet was perfect between the 18th of December 2018 right until the 14th or so when it started to get back to the usual rubbish I experienced right from the first day of connecting the router. This change perfectly corresponded with the traffic in the area, which means its perfectly accurate to assume it was because everyone went on holiday.
aah, octotel dont like pppoe, they prefer just dynamic wan with no logon

access

Executive Member
i have had this conversation with their engineers before. they try to get the isp not to use pppoe over ther network, like rsaweb did eventually. not all the isp want to play along though.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I've asked for this thread to be deleted, because its all in my head, apparently.
I am not going to argue I'd rather just let's wipe this and I carry on with my life.
LoL Arty..... you know there will always be those idiots that think they know better. This place is full of them. Just wait until they have an issue, then its "This provider has always been this bad".

Can actually recreate your current comment section with same results. Just say Telkom is bad and wait for the all mighty defenders and how great telkom is

absynth

Expert Member
Get the people around to also lay complaints and see if that might get them to do something..........and make sure people are complaining to ISP/Octotel.

tkburn

This is indeed very concerning as Octotel are trenching my area (muizenberg) and no other fibre provider....

I get 19.6Mbps to Vodafone UK on VDSL 20Mbps line via VOX on Telkom. My sister just got 20/20Mbps fibre in Kirstenhof on Frogfoot using Macrolan and after all techie's testing and fault finding - all she gets to Vodafone UK is 15.5Mbps. Go figure???

One thing that is not 2 things is that that will no fly by me....
Both frogfoot and Octotel will be trenching in Muizies , so you will have a choice. They’re both trenching in my street as I type this

zizebra

thank you for bringing this to light, I was hoping to jump off Telkom/CrystalWeb combination which has been great for me in favour of Octotel Fibre in the Muizies, now i dont see that happening. I will stick with my crystal a little while longer.

avr-rulez

Expert Member
Both frogfoot and Octotel will be trenching in Muizies , so you will have a choice. They’re both trenching in my street as I type this
Yeah unfortunately Frogfoot is only trenching main road side of the vlei. Nothing below the vlei !!!!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
And yet nothing is being done... I still don’t even have an answer from Cool Ideas but, I really don’t care anymore.
ADSL FTW

access

Executive Member
i activated speedtests every 30minutes after reading this post(thread), just to make sure im not, not noticing lower than expected performance.

my connection is as steady as they come for 100mbps with ips and smart queuing enabled.

Last edited:

tkburn

i activated speedtests every 30minutes after reading this post(thread), just to make sure im not, not noticing lower than expected performance.

my connection is as steady as they come for 100mbps with ips and smart queuing enabled.
Location? And for which hours did you run the tests?

Brawler

Executive Member
I'm in Harfield Village with Octotel and Axxess premium uncapped. 7pm to 10pm is pretty bad.