Octotel (Octofail) - You Have Been Warned!

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
How do you know that's not just the guesthouse's own account / router / wifi bandwidth being hammered by one or more selfish guests?
Because I was the only guest the first 2 days, because the owner has been fighting the ISP for over a year, because the stats wouldn't have looked as bad as they did (eg 2nd hop latency, 5pm degradation like clockwork) and because the entire area bitterly complains about the fibre issues. And because Octotel is notorious for being a dogsh*t fibre network.

Join

If you're contemplating going with ANY (yes any) ISP that provides services via this Fibre ISP, known as Octotel, please be aware that you will be in for a world of pain.
So far we know the following:
* The network in Cape Town is congested, and Joe Botha, the CTO, gives not one **** about it. Their offical response to sorting the problem out is a real mature and professional "any day now"
* The network is generally rubbish. It is worse than an ADSL line with one leg disconnected
* They deny anything is wrong, and blame your ISP (be it Cool Ideas, Vox Telecom, or anyone else)

I am creating this thread because the Octotel issues are tending to cloud the CISP Feedback thread and I want folks to make an informed decision before getting FTTH at home.
Go with supersonic, I suggest their own POP is congested and needs a major upgrade.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
To be very honest IDGAF anymore
The fibre line is a PIECE OF SHYTE
Happy on ADSL, waiting for Octotel to tell me what to do with their piece of crap ONT if they want it back that is ...
Ja, when some of us call these new players in the fibre business out, we are the ones that pick up the flack.
In another thread, I made the point that quite a few of the fibre players have no clue how the technology actually works and that they will see their arses as a result.
The problem is public sentiment then turns against the technology when t should not be so.

BTW what does their ONT look like what make and model number is it, please? Could be useful to understand the technology in use.

fundutzi

The power of forums.

We learn something important here it seems.
We have a duty to ensure others retain teeth and hair.

Thank you ArtyLoop for the feedback. Others helped to clarify the picture.
Seems confirmed Octotel should not under any circumstances be used in:
a. Rondebosch / Claremont.
b. Blouberg area.
c. We could assume this will hold true in future once dense clients use network?

Questions please:
Can we solve the issue, any users on alternative fibre networks and networks work as expected in:
a. Rondebosch / Claremont?
b. Blouberg area.

Summary of your contributions. {Pls indicate so corrections can be made}
Table to edit.
1552768908305.png
=================================
Maps will follow now.
1552768497893.png

Alternative Fibre options.
Await feedback and see if others have issues on different fibre.

1552768564392.png

1552768604671.png

1552768643184.png

1552768746524.png

1552768762158.png

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Thanks for those who believed me when I said there was an issue.
The final word I have on this is as follows:

I am back with Vox Telecom on a 20Mbit VDSL line. The VDSL line, can pull more bandwidth than the Octofail line in "peak periods"
During non-peak periods, its pretty much the same.. the VDSL can keep up with the FTTH by virtue of the fact that it is RUBBISH FTTH.
Anyway the whole sorry saga has come to an end, and its over. The ONT is powered down, services canceled, and finished and klaar.

Openserve has indicated they want to trench this area, my name is on that list, Will give them a whirl when they finally roll out.
Until then, VDSL it is.

I do not wish to do any business with Octotel ever again, either directly or indirectly. I will give Cool Ideas the benefit of the doubt when Openserve are in my area!

fundutzi

Thank you for your PM ThatGuy_ZA, your feedback added.

Why does ThatGuy_ZA in Kenilworth not have an issue compared to other users in this area?

Summary of your contributions. {Pls indicate so corrections can be made}
Table to edit.

Please see updated table here.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Funnily enough, I've hardly noticed any issues with my Octotel line since moving to Atomic.
So then the conclusion is?
Octotel have more capacity between their node and Atomic? Or fewer customers? Both these reasons will not trigger congestion.
Does Atomic have a better server setup and more capacity between their node and the Internet?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
So then the conclusion is?
Octotel have more capacity between their node and Atomic? Or fewer customers? Both these reasons will not trigger congestion.
Does Atomic have a better server setup and more capacity between their node and the Internet?
No idea. Might even be load shedding, cant recall one issue with performance this month.

Keeping in mind, I don't game - I only use the line for work, streaming, and the home automation stuff. (Cams upload) ...

I'm on a 100mb line, so the majority of the time I won't notice if international drops to half that - it only becomes an issue when it drops to 5% line speed.