Octotel (Octofail) - You Have Been Warned!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Haha - quite an amusing read when their die hard's starting realizing the service isn't what they made it out to be. Rings a lot like the initial Openweb/Mweb/Afrihost fan club.
I overlooked it.. actually... life is short, lots of things to enjoy. I was actually away for a few days.
I just miss the upload speed of fibre back in December when it used to work...

But I am patient :)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I overlooked it.. actually... life is short, lots of things to enjoy. I was actually away for a few days.
I just miss the upload speed of fibre back in December when it used to work...

But I am patient :)
Referring to the people still in their thread ...

I'm still on Octotel, but with Atomic, and haven't had any noteworthy issues, certainly not like I had in Jan/Feb with Cool Ideas.

MDE

Expert Member
Referring to the people still in their thread ...

I'm still on Octotel, but with Atomic, and haven't had any noteworthy issues, certainly not like I had in Jan/Feb with Cool Ideas.
@xrapidx can you run an iperf during peak to see please :)

--verbose --port 17001 -c trcvmh01.cisp.co.za --bandwidth 1M -l 1400 --omit 2 -R -u

xrapidx

Honorary Master
@xrapidx can you run an iperf during peak to see please :)

--verbose --port 17001 -c trcvmh01.cisp.co.za --bandwidth 1M -l 1400 --omit 2 -R -u
I'll try - usually not on a PC in the evenings... but will probably be on tonight or tomorrow - need to fix some home automation crap.

nicksoper

iPerf tests to run on Atomic line

80% UDP Test (80Mbps on 100Mbps link)
iperf3 -4 -V -R -w 4m -t 10 -O 3 -u -b 80M -c iperf.atomic.ac -p 3334

TCP Test
iperf3 -4 -V -w 4m -t 10 -O 3 -R -c iperf.atomic.ac -p 3334

International speed (or change port to 5202/3/4)
iperf3 -R -4 -t 10 -O 3 -c ping.online.net -p 5205

Adjust 80% UDP test to your link speed. If this runs without packet loss, you know your GPON link is healthy and the backhaul link to the DC is not congested.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
iPerf tests to run on Atomic line

80% UDP Test (80Mbps on 100Mbps link)
iperf3 -4 -V -R -w 4m -t 10 -O 3 -u -b 80M -c iperf.atomic.ac -p 3334

TCP Test
iperf3 -4 -V -w 4m -t 10 -O 3 -R -c iperf.atomic.ac -p 3334

International speed (or change port to 5202/3/4)
iperf3 -R -4 -t 10 -O 3 -c ping.online.net -p 5205

Adjust 80% UDP test to your link speed. If this runs without packet loss, you know your GPON link is healthy and the backhaul link to the DC is not congested.
Erm what does this have to do with Octotel?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This as per @ArtyLoop. And what is iperf anyway? and what does DC stand for????
Making assumptions that those reading the forum know what all this IT gobbledygook means is not on.

nicksoper

Makes more sense to using the atomic iperf server than using the cool ideas iperf server if they are an Atomic customer. Rules out more variables. Just being helpful.

Whats also not on, is the ISP expecting the client to do all the work, and tests to diagnose the line...
We are just providing a more sensible iperf server option to somebody who wanted iperf test data. WRT effort from customers, those that run a few tests tend to get resolutions much quicker. The effort of copy/pasting some commands or doing some speed tests is quite low given the benefit. As customers are less technical and require a visit but that requires more time. We (Atomic) are considering devices we can send to customers to make things easier.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Makes more sense to using the atomic iperf server than using the cool ideas iperf server if they are an Atomic customer. Rules out more variables. Just being helpful.

Customers who run a few tests tend to get resolutions much quicker. The effort of copy/pasting some commands or doing some speed tests is quite low given the benefit. As customers are less technical and require a visit but that requires more time. We (Atomic) are considering devices we can send to customers to make things easier.
Sorry bro I ain’t a client anymore... ADSL here.
I cancelled, not that they actually acknowledged it but I don’t give a fuuukkk.

So by sending devices to customers you are just riding on TheRodent’s coat tails

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
and what is an iperf server?
A server used to conduct iperf tests.. Cool ideas has one..
can I be quite frank here..
I cannot believe that with this tech there is the need for this amount of bullshyte. Not even ADSL is this problematic

nicksoper

and what is an iperf server?
Hey Geoff. An iperf server is software that allows you to run tests on bandwidth performance (TCP, UDP and SCTP bandwidth performance). It's similar to hosting a speedtest server, but gets some more useful info that helps use narrow down the cause of a problem someone is having, which helps solve the problem.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Hey Geoff. An iperf server is software that allows you to run tests on bandwidth performance (TCP, UDP and SCTP bandwidth performance). It's similar to hosting a speedtest server, but gets some more useful info that helps use narrow down the cause of a problem someone is having, which helps solve the problem.
Help solve the problem ....are you for real?
You cannot solve a greedy fibre ISP cutting corners and playing the denial game with parameters

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Okay, so what are those tests that the iperf server allows a user on a GPON fibre network? How are these tests triggered?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Okay, so what are those tests that the iperf server allows a user on a GPON fibre network? How are these tests triggered?
Like Afrifail, they expect you to run tests on the command line and constantly feed them results, while they pacify you with feeble excuses because the FISP is in denial mode

xrapidx

Honorary Master
MDE asked for those tests on Octotel , I just haven't gotten round to it. Been without a laptop most of this week.

For someone who isn't on fibre anymore and doesn't care anymore - you keep going on about it - and seem to be suffering a serious amount of butthurt.

This as per @ArtyLoop. And what is iperf anyway? and what does DC stand for????
Making assumptions that those reading the forum know what all this IT gobbledygook means is not on.
This forum was, and still is, full of pretty technical people who know what the above test results mean.