Octotel (Octofail) - You Have Been Warned!

Leon M

I have a 100/25 Octotel/Mweb connection in Brackenfell. Before 20h00 and after 22h00 I get exceptional speeds - latency 3ms, jitter 1ms, download 99 Mbps, upload 25 Mbps. Between 20h00 and 22h00 my performance is abysmal for gaming and on weekends for downloads too. In this time slot, from Mondays to Sundays, my latency would increase to ±75ms and the jitter to ± 50ms. The latency increase makes games on international servers unplayable (increasing from ±150ms to ± 225ms) and when coupled with the high jitter even games on South African servers become unenjoyable. My friend's Vodacom 100/50 connection gives him a constant ±150ms ping on international game servers during the same time that mine deteriorates. On Saturday and Sunday evenings my download speeds also come to a crawl in the low teens.

I have reported the problem to Mweb and tested my connection by establishing a wired connection to the ONT only. I have repeated this test every evening over the last month with my desktop and a laptop and the results are always the same. Mweb has recreated my profile on their side and state that Octotel has tested my line and that everything is in order. But it's clearly not.

I don't actually know where to go from here as the service is unusable for my needs between 20h00 and 22h00, exactly when I want to and have time to use it.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I have a 100/25 Octotel/Mweb connection in Brackenfell. Before 20h00 and after 22h00 I get exceptional speeds - latency 3ms, jitter 1ms, download 99 Mbps, upload 25 MBps. Between 20h00 and 22h00 my performance is abysmal for gaming and on weekends for downloads too. In this time slot, from Mondays to Sundays, my latency would increase to ±75ms and the jitter to ± 50ms. The latency increase makes games on international servers unplayable (increasing from ±150ms to ± 225ms) and when coupled with the high jitter even games on South African servers become unenjoyable. My friend's Vodacom 100/50 connection gives him a constant ±150ms ping on international game servers during the same time that mine deteriorates. On Saturday and Sunday evenings my download speeds also come to a crawl in the low teens.

I have reported the problem to Mweb and tested my connection by establishing a wired connection to the ONT only. I have repeated this test every evening over the last month with my desktop and a laptop and the results are always the same. Mweb has recreated my profile on their side and state that Octotel has tested my line and that everything is in order. But it's clearly not.

I don't actually know where to go from here as the service is unusable for my needs between 20h00 and 22h00, exactly when I want to and have time to use it.
There is nothing wrong with your line, or the mweb profile and any other cosmetic rubbish the call centres fiddle with. This is a classic example of congestion.
Now whether that congestion lies with Octotel or MWEB or both is not that easy to tell.
You would have to look at the line stats to try and eliminate possible congestion within the fibre GPON or into the network.
Neither MWEB or Octotel have a good track record with regard to providing adequate backbone capacity. Octotel is still to prove that it knows how to deploy FTTH properly.

Leon M

You would have to look at the line stats to try and eliminate possible congestion within the fibre GPON or into the network.
Is this something I can do or must I ask Mweb to look at the line stats?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I would start off with running some speed tests during both periods to say myBB .
Then I would try and run trace routes and other tests offered by the gaming sites you use.
Compare the results.
What "line stats" are available on the ONT a and on the mweb router? Have you tried to see what is available?
I don't have fibre yet so can't help based on personal experience.
I would NOT involve either Octotel or Mweb before knowing what is going on. They will just repeat the same BS process you have already experienced.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I am sorry to say but I am no longer really in stock of sympathy for Octotel clients.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I still don't understand why CI don't separate Octotel problems for all others - also in the feedback thread.
That was sort-of the intention of this thread, but alas, the CISP feedback thread still sees the issues of every single FTTH provider in it.

ekske1

Executive Member
I still don't understand why CI don't separate Octotel problems for all others - also in the feedback thread.
Probably because FNO problems are mounting and not only Octotel by the looks of it.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
This is how I know the internet, in SA, to be...
This is on ADSL
1555605110688.png

In all the months I had that miserable FTTH line, having this kind of performance was next to impossible to achieve, unless I was willing to try at 2AM

TheSuperSonic

i am thinking of going with Octotel Fibre optic later this year. is it a Good idea to choose them with Vodacom 10 Mbps Symmetrical?
what is octotel's Latency network route to joburg from cape town and from cape town to london

n1ckna5

In blouberg area. Webafrica/Octotel - Packetloss everyday from 6:30-10pm.
Im 100/25mb, DL speed drops to about 20 during this time.
If there was another provider i would switch but i guess im stuck with these fools.

If there was a 100mb adsl line i dont think i'd be able to tell the difference. In fact it would probably be more consistent haha :p

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The more people move OFF ADSL, the better the service gets for those that stay with ADSL.
The problem will arise when Openserve decides to shut down ADSL in an area because there are too few customers to justify keeping it going.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
The more people move OFF ADSL, the better the service gets for those that stay with ADSL.
The problem will arise when Openserve decides to shut down ADSL in an area because there are too few customers to justify keeping it going.
By then I am hopefully overseas or on Openserve FTTH.