Octotel ONT config on Zyxel router

ControlAltDelete

Hi guys,

I've been having this issue on three different Zyxel routers. Seems I get intermittent connection due to DNS issues. Tried asking Octotel about the config on the ONT which is remotely managed but they refuse to give me more info so I basically cant configure any of these three routers to work.
The routers themselves are not remotely managed, I have to manually configure them.

I've tried on the following routers:
zyxel sbg3300-n
zyxel EMG3525-T50B
zyxel vmg3625-t20a

I can wipe the ONT and stop it from being remotely autoconfigured but Octotel wont provide config info.

Would very much appreciate if anyone knows how to configure the WAN profile for Zyxel to work properly

ControlAltDelete

As far as I know they use pppoe. You need to get the pppoe username and password from them. You don't configure anything on the Octotel ONT at all.
Yep, I've had it configured that way for the last year. It's fine except for the random disconnects due to DNS issues.
I'm thinking maybe because I have to manually configure the router, it's possible one or two of the settings may wrong on my side. Not sure if ONT is configure in dualstack but router is has a problem with both ipv4 only and dual stack profiles.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yep, I've had it configured that way for the last year. It's fine except for the random disconnects due to DNS issues.

That can also be related to the actual connection being an issue. If the connection drops for whatever reason loading a website page will prompt that DNS is the issue but it just means the url could not be resolved because the actual connection is down.

If you want to try other DNS providers you can select manual IPv4 DNS servers and add them like 1.1.1.1 for Cloudflare, 8.8.8.8 for Google and 9.9.9.9 for Quad9. There are so many and a DNS bench might be best if you want to see which DNS gives you the best speeds.

ControlAltDelete

That can also be related to the actual connection being an issue. If the connection drops for whatever reason loading a website page will prompt that DNS is the issue but it just means the url could not be resolved because the actual connection is down.

If you want to try other DNS providers you can select manual IPv4 DNS servers and add them like 1.1.1.1 for Cloudflare, 8.8.8.8 for Google and 9.9.9.9 for Quad9. There are so many and a DNS bench might be best if you want to see which DNS gives you the best speeds.
I use 1.1.1.1, have tried Google DNS as well. I think the issue is related to the ONT being auto configured with its own DNS and on the Zyxel router the broadband profile prompts DNS, so you can either use Cloudflare or configure it with ONT configured DNS and thereafter in LAN setup also prompts DNS.

Problem is I have no way to confirm this. I actually wanted to replace that Dasan ONT with a Ubiquiti GPON ONT but Octotel wont provide any info as to what their configs are.

I have to say, with the TP-Link router everything works fine. I dont think it's the connection at all. I think it's one of the settings on the broadband WAN profile on the Zyxel that I'm configuring incorrectly.

ld13

Honorary Master
Ain't DNS settings 'last-in-line'? As in, if you set it on the router, the upline DNS does not matter. If you set a DNS setting on your device/PC/phone, the DNS setting on the router, in turn, does not matter?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I use 1.1.1.1, have tried Google DNS as well. I think the issue is related to the ONT being auto configured with its own DNS and on the Zyxel router the broadband profile prompts DNS, so you can either use Cloudflare or configure it with ONT configured DNS and thereafter in LAN setup also prompts DNS.

Problem is I have no way to confirm this. I actually wanted to replace that Dasan ONT with a Ubiquiti GPON ONT but Octotel wont provide any info as to what their configs are.

I have to say, with the TP-Link router everything works fine. I dont think it's the connection at all. I think it's one of the settings on the broadband WAN profile on the Zyxel that I'm configuring incorrectly.

The ONT does not have it's DNS set.

The ONT is basically just an access point that takes you to the CISP network. Since you are dialling the pppoe on the router that is where the WAN connection is. Only with Vuma Reach does the ONT actually have the settings on it as it dials the PPPoE and handles the connection with the OLT.

Your issues is likely not related to DNS but rather line issues.

Are you in or around the Strand area?

ControlAltDelete

The ONT does not have it's DNS set.

The ONT is basically just an access point that takes you to the CISP network. Since you are dialling the pppoe on the router that is where the WAN connection is. Only with Vuma Reach does the ONT actually have the settings on it as it dials the PPPoE and handles the connection with the OLT.

Your issues is likely not related to DNS but rather line issues.

Are you in or around the Strand area?
No, not in Strand area. I'm stumped then because I've had this exact same issue for over a year. Seems fine on the Tp-Link router though. Near 100% sure it's a setting I've configuring incorrectly on the WAN profile on the Zyxel router though.

Also replaced the ethernet cable between the router and the ONT, still the same issue.

ControlAltDelete

Ain't DNS settings 'last-in-line'? As in, if you set it on the router, the upline DNS does not matter. If you set a DNS setting on your device/PC/phone, the DNS setting on the router, in turn, does not matter?
no this was just speculation. It may not be configure on the ONT but I know this particular model has routing functionality and you can add the PPPOE profile directly to this ONT.

On the router it shows a preconfigured DNS which I assume is being pulled from ONT if I set DNS in WAN profile to static.

Which is 154.0.1.1, that's CISP's DNS I believe.

ld13

Honorary Master
On the router it shows a preconfigured DNS which I assume is being pulled from ONT if I set DNS in WAN profile to static.

Preconfig/default DNS would in this instance be the ISP's DNS, so CIPC's DNS - not an ONT DNS.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Those Zyxel routers suck, Im not a fan of them at all.
When I had one as a fibre router it kept forcing IPv6 DHCP along with IPv4 DHCP, their implementation of IPv6 was terrible and you couldnt configure much.
It caused some application specific issues related to async routing which had to be resolved with host entries on end user pc's.

If you have a PPPoE supported connection then just set your details on your router, the ONT has nothing to do with any issues you are experiencing.
Try changing to other DNS providers if you feel that is where the issue is.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The ONT is a layer 2 device, it does not provide any IP services whatsoever. The sole purpose of the ONT is to provide a mechanism for the PPPOE connection to connect to the PPPOE server and establish a PPP connection over which your IP services will run. Once the PPPOE session is active the ONT does not interact at all with your IP connections, it is merely a conduit.

ControlAltDelete

@cavedog Thanks for all the responses man. To conclude you were 100% right about it being connection side. Turns out the 25m ethernet cable I replaced the old broken 25m ethernet cable was also damaged.

It's just crazy that it had DNS errors the same like the old broken 25m cable. Go figure.

Picked this up when checking WAN link speed, sometimes 1Gbps and sometimes drops to 100Mbps. After switching cable again issue has not occured for 2 days and stays at 1Gbps as it should. This is the longest ever the connection has not dropped.

ControlAltDelete

Preconfig/default DNS would in this instance be the ISP's DNS, so CIPC's DNS - not an ONT DNS.
Meant autoconfigured DNS. This isn't my ISP's router so it has to be pushed from ONT which is autoconfigured with ACS but thsi isn't the issue anymore. Was just the cable.

ControlAltDelete

The ONT is a layer 2 device, it does not provide any IP services whatsoever. The sole purpose of the ONT is to provide a mechanism for the PPPOE connection to connect to the PPPOE server and establish a PPP connection over which your IP services will run. Once the PPPOE session is active the ONT does not interact at all with your IP connections, it is merely a conduit.
Okay, it's a gateway. Got it, thanks.