Octotel reaches over 100,000 homes passed

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Octotel announced that its fibre network has now reached more than 100,000 homes passed, making it the first independent fibre network operator to reach this milestone in the Cape.

The fibre network is Cape Town's largest open-access FTTH provider, and achieved this milestone only three years after it first began to roll out its infrastructure in Sea Point.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
My condolences to everyone stuck on Octotel's dogs**t network.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Octotel said that it has rolled out fibre to a number of suburbs over the past six months, including:
  • Muizenberg
Well, I've got a neat little grey box on the wall , but there ain't no fibre in it...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Octotel announced that its fibre network has now reached more than 100,000 homes passed, making it the first independent fibre network operator to reach this milestone in the Cape.
What do you mean by independent?
The fibre network is Cape Town’s largest open-access FTTH provider, and achieved this milestone only three years after it first began to roll out its infrastructure in Sea Point.
Homes passed != connected.

Frogfoot is way "smaller" though at 30k/20k WC: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibre/286994-big-frogfoot-fibre-expansion-in-the-western-cape.html
but they didn't roll out in extremely dense population areas like sea point.

I'm very sure Vumatel and OpenServe are bigger:
Despite the company exclusively deploying its network in Cape Town, Octotel is the third-largest FTTH network behind Openserve and Vumatel.
And by that I don't mean just size in South Africa, but surpassed within Cape Town.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I guess I was lucky.. Payed for a 10/5 line, yet averaged 11/10
The issue isn't the speeds when things are working, but how regularly the network suffers debilitating congestion in the evenings.

Swa

Honorary Master
Honestly I'd rather go with Octotel than Vumatel's uncompetitive practices.

maumau

Honorary Master

The fibre network is Cape Town's largest open-access FTTH provider, and achieved this milestone only three years after it first began to roll out its infrastructure in Sea Point.
What does that mean - they have over 100 000 subscribers?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What does that mean - they have over 100 000 subscribers?
No, that's the max number that can connect (if no duplicate lines to a property) . They probably have around 50-60k connected as non open serve have very high connection rates, especially if first.

maumau

Honorary Master
No, that's the max number that can connect (if no duplicate lines to a property) . They probably have around 50-60k connected as non open serve have very high connection rates, especially if first.
Ok I get it now, tks for explaining.