Octotel trenching in new area

Katelknaap

Octotel has installed their lines and the grey boxes was installed last week. How do I know when the lines are "live" and I can thus place and order through an ISP? Does the line only fo live once the whole neighbourhood / area indicated on their map as "in progress" has
finished installing?

Cowboy619

Octotel has installed their lines and the grey boxes was installed last week. How do I know when the lines are "live" and I can thus place and order through an ISP? Does the line only fo live once the whole neighbourhood / area indicated on their map as "in progress" has
finished installing?
Their website will let you know when its live, but usually at this stage between 4 - 6 weeks

Katelknaap

Thanks for the input, been waiting so long, I guess a few more weeks is doable.

Space

With vumatel you get an “Object Number” with which you can order fibre connectivity online at shop.vumatel.co.za from various ISP’s.

Do Octotel also use an “Object Number” and how does one obtain this for the grey Octotel box on the perimeter of your premises ?

Katelknaap

Its been 2 months now and fibre still not live? Getting desperate now since my Cellc Lte is getting switched off at the end of Sept. BTW thanks a lot Cellc, will sure as hell not ever do business with you again.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Its been 2 months now and fibre still not live? Getting desperate now since my Cellc Lte is getting switched off at the end of Sept. BTW thanks a lot Cellc, will sure as hell not ever do business with you again.
Hey I'm also in Kraaifontein and still waiting for it to go live. And my LTE is also not gonna cut it anymore till the end of this month

Katelknaap

Took a chance and enquired with RSAweb re fibre on their site. Got a response that the fibre is live via email after missing their call this morning? I doubt it since the Octotel guys have showed up again this week and are fiddling around at their "manholes". I will phone them tomorrow and will apply anyway so that there is no delay when the area is live.

Katelknaap

BTW, enquired directly via Octotel's site last week about when area is going live. Got an email back that it will be in 2/3 weeks.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Took a chance and enquired with RSAweb re fibre on their site. Got a response that the fibre is live via email after missing their call this morning? I doubt it since the Octotel guys have showed up again this week and are fiddling around at their "manholes". I will phone them tomorrow and will apply anyway so that there is no delay when the area is live.

BTW, enquired directly via Octotel's site last week about when area is going live. Got an email back that it will be in 2/3 weeks.
Crap, so for now I'll still have make do with my sucky LTE and Telkom *sigh* hope it really is two weeks and not 4

Katelknaap

Just spoke to a guy from RSAweb and started my application for fibre. Spoke to him this afternoon and promised he will phone back as he was out of the office and he actually phoned back after hours. He indicated that the Octotel fibre for my area is live so the application is in. Checked Octotel"s map on their site myself just now and it a actually now does show its live.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Just spoke to a guy from RSAweb and started my application for fibre. Spoke to him this afternoon and promised he will phone back as he was out of the office and he actually phoned back after hours. He indicated that the Octotel fibre for my area is live so the application is in. Checked Octotel"s map on their site myself just now and it a actually now does show its live.
You be flying with the big boys soon :thumbsup:

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Glad you're having some luck on your end however for me they mailed now and said they're waiting for the Octotel team to build the infrastructure in my complex still although it's live outside in the street already it still needs to be installed here inside with an ETA of 4 weeks

Venomous

Honorary Master
Glad you're having some luck on your end however for me they mailed now and said they're waiting for the Octotel team to build the infrastructure in my complex still although it's live outside in the street already it still needs to be installed here inside with an ETA of 4 weeks
Plan on 6-8 weeks as the complex trustees will also have to approve where things go.

Or at least that's what Vumatel did at the complex where I previously lived.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Plan on 6-8 weeks as the complex trustees will also have to approve where things go.

Or at least that's what Vumatel did at the complex where I previously lived.
Apparently it was already approved by the trustees as owners and tenants alike were up in arms when they were shocked that in this brand new complex no fibre has been installed as yet even though these flats were marketed as fibre ready with the infrastructure already installed

Venomous

Honorary Master
Apparently it was already approved by the trustees as owners and tenants alike were up in arms when they were shocked that in this brand new complex no fibre has been installed as yet even though these flats were marketed as fibre ready with the infrastructure already installed
So closer to 6 weeks.
Someone's bound to have a problem with something and then the trustees will get involved, slowing things down

Katelknaap

Just an FYI. 10 weeks after the installation team passed my house my fibre is active. Took a long long time but at least its done. Must say the service received from both Octotel & RSAweb was excellent. Installation into house went very smooth and was neatly done. Activation bit of a struggle but sorted. Already ripped out my DSTV decoders and another premium subscriber waves goodbye. Netflix in 4K is something else on a QLED!

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Just an FYI. 10 weeks after the installation team passed my house my fibre is active. Took a long long time but at least its done. Must say the service received from both Octotel & RSAweb was excellent. Installation into house went very smooth and was neatly done. Activation bit of a struggle but sorted. Already ripped out my DSTV decoders and another premium subscriber waves goodbye. Netflix in 4K is something else on a QLED!
I'm just 1 week away from activation as over the past few weeks the guys from Octotel has been very busy in the complex trenching and drilling here. So we'll wait and see how smoothly my transition from my uncapped fixed LTE solution from Telkom to Cool Ideas and Octotel will be. Hopefully I'll have no issues here.